Containing foot numbness?

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just suddenly had toes and one heel go tingly numb... can this be managed?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't expect an answer to an impossible question. See your doctor

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Or ensure excellent bgs and monitor heavily til you see your GP.
If nerve damage then I recommend supplement R-ala.

Keep asking questions.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or ensure excellent bgs and monitor heavily til you see your GP.
If nerve damage then I recommend supplement R-ala.

Keep asking questions.
Thank you so much... see dr on Monday.... this came on after heavy dieting lost 20lbs in one month and boom: numb toes... lost 10 more since then...one alcohol even in there too... what is R-Laa?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thank you so much... see dr on Monday.... this came on after heavy dieting lost 20lbs in one month and boom: numb toes... lost 10 more since then...one alcohol even in there too... what is R-Laa?

If you'd have said that at the beginning, I might have had something to go on. Never mind

Penabby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to see your Podiatrist who can do some tests to see if you have neuropathy. There are other reasons you can have numbness. Good luck

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just suddenly had toes and one heel go tingly numb... can this be managed?
Only time I had something similar was when I injured my back.My foot tingling related to diabetes was a slow onset thing.FWIW.

You are on the right track seeing your Dr,think you are spot on . Good luck.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only time I had something similar was when I injured my back.My foot tingling related to diabetes was a slow onset thing.FWIW.

You are on the right track seeing your Dr,think you are spot on . Good luck.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi spuds thank you and penabby...you mentioned your foot issues re diabetes was slow onset... would you be willing to rehearse the length of time “slow” refers to and the change in symptoms? Does managing BS keep symptoms contained or once starting this has a path of its own? Thanks in advance much

Reactions: Penabby and 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case many months.Maybe a year or 2,hard to say because symptoms were so minor as it started.Foot first started getting cool,then colder,then a smidgen numb,then it started to get tingly and noticeably numb.Slow and steady.Mine was never severe but for sure it made itself known.
It was such a slow process. I hardly noticed anything for a long time,looking back though it now makes sense.
Seems to be recovering about same rate it went bad,with sugars being managed now.So IMO if sugars hadnt been almost twice normal,and instead in normal range it never would have occurred.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So there’s recovery possible or at least containment at some level of sugar lifestyle etc are managed?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case many months.Maybe a year or 2,hard to say because symptoms were so minor as it started.Foot first started getting cool,then colder,then a smidgen numb,then it started to get tingly and noticeably numb.Slow and steady.Mine was never severe but for sure it made itself known.
It was such a slow process. I hardly noticed anything for a long time,looking back though it now makes sense.
Seems to be recovering about same rate it went bad,with sugars being managed now.So IMO if sugars hadnt been almost twice normal,and instead in normal range it never would have occurred.
@Coastal Mine was the same as 1spuds. At the time the whole thing was almost imperceptible and built up gradually over several years. Until the end of last year the symptoms had become increasingly obvious and troublesome.

However, reversal has been much quicker, just a matter of a couple of months, through dietary control.

Reactions: ickihun and 1spuds

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So there’s recovery possible or at least containment at some level of sugar lifestyle etc are managed?
Yes. In my case at least, yes.

Was mine neuropathy? Well by lowering blood sugars to well inside the normal range the symptoms have dissapeared.

Reactions: 1spuds

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All very very welcome and helpful thank you all so much for sharing your stories.... much appreciation :)

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
R-ala.....
Q:What is the difference between R-lipoic acidand Alpha Lipoic acid? A: Alpha-lipoic acidconsists of a 50/50 mixture of the R- (natural) and S- (unnatural) forms (enantiomers). ... R Lipoic is significantly more potent than Alpha Lipoic because the body “recognizes” it and “knows” how to use it.
upload_2019-8-11_19-59-13.png

https://geronova.com › faqs
FAQ - GeroNova Research - R Lipoic Acid

The body uses it to help with diabetic numb toes.

I'm off mine until I'm 3mths after my operation.
I will resume the use of mine very soon. I'm currently having pain behind my leg and big toe from a nipped nerve in my back but additionally I hv numb toes and side of foot which improves with R-ala. I'm on pregabalin for nerve pain. I'm also on Tramadol for nipped nerves.

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hoping to get some guidance on dosage amounts for oral R-ala? Also I’m reading where injections have documented benefits but there seems to be no validation of oral benefits since the studies do t seem to have done.... looks like here folks feel R-ala has relief factors with oral intake?

Coastal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
R-ala.....
Q:What is the difference between R-lipoic acidand Alpha Lipoic acid? A: Alpha-lipoic acidconsists of a 50/50 mixture of the R- (natural) and S- (unnatural) forms (enantiomers). ... R Lipoic is significantly more potent than Alpha Lipoic because the body “recognizes” it and “knows” how to use it.
View attachment 34831
https://geronova.com › faqs
FAQ - GeroNova Research - R Lipoic Acid

The body uses it to help with diabetic numb toes.

I'm off mine until I'm 3mths after my operation.
I will resume the use of mine very soon. I'm currently having pain behind my leg and big toe from a nipped nerve in my back but additionally I hv numb toes and side of foot which improves with R-ala. I'm on pregabalin for nerve pain. I'm also on Tramadol for nipped nerves.
May I ask If your numbness from the spinal injury or diabetes? Can I also ask what your R-ala dosage is?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
May I ask If your numbness from the spinal injury or diabetes? Can I also ask what your R-ala dosage is?
I stopped R-ala 3mths before my recent Roux-en-y operation in mid-June (2019) and will return on it mid-October. I will only take the R version as S version is believed to just be absorbed by the gastric system and hv no medical worth. I buy the 80% R-ala from Amazon or same make (San) by a respected vendor. The one I buy is 125mg so I'd reintroduce mine to 2x daily then increase to up max 600mg daily by 3x daily and always with food.
Now I'm on much smaller meals and less absorption I will take accordingly.
This is a supplement and not designed to replace food.
I hope you find the same as me and find less sensation or less numbness.
I'd be grateful if you keep me updated as many use it and stop posting. I'm assuming they are much happier so don't need any more support. I hope I'm right.
I know it works for me. I'm on more pregabalin tablets without it. I know I found I needed less insulin too.
Let me know. Thx

Ps. I only take R-ala for neuropathy.

Back/Pelvic spine has a nipped nerve so big toe and leg suffer with scatica which I hv to take multipul painkillers to be able to walk.
Now hv trapped nerve in neck but hv been able to get some use back in my right arm but still no strength in hand.
Definately not a stroke GP confirmed.

I'll update again if improvement on R-ala supplement in Oct/Nov.

Last edited: