Recommended coffee/tea creamers?

AdamPD

Yes yes, tea creamers too! :p

I was just wondering what kind of coffee or tea creamers everyone here uses on their low carb journey?

I just started my low carb diet journey for the 100th time and I'm trying not to be naughty, but I'm still unsure about some things

For instance I know, obviously I need to eat/drink low carb items, with no sugar, but sweeteners seem to be a bit of a grey area to me
Some say anything but Stevia is ok, but what about Sucralose?
I don't enjoy black coffee or tea, so I'm drinking those with Coffeemate's French vanilla no sugar creamer. (Attaching the ingredient list as a screenshot)
Are those kinds of creamers ok?

As far as other drinks go, are squashes like Robinsons black current and Apple (no added sugar) ok?
According to the label it has no sugar or carbs, but does have Sucralose and Acesulfame K

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 2019-08-11.png
    2019-08-11.png
    506.3 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: 1spuds

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, it's coffee with plant based milk because I'm lactose intolerant - mostly soy, with sugar free syrup of any flavour - caramel is my favourite and of course I check the label because some sugar free contains carbs and sometimes a bit of pouring cream. I don't think theres a vegan double cream, but I've been looking into vegan whipping cream which could be interesting.
I can drink tea with a dash of soy, without sweetener.
I sometimes do water with lemon and lime and some times herbal teas.
I think creamers here aren't as popular as they are in America, I know they have a few flavours and a huge selection of creamers like half and half. But give double cream a try.

AdamPD

Thanks all!
Yea I love the creamer selection in the USA, my favourite is the liquid caramel cachiato from Coffeemate, I wish we could get that here in the UK
I forgot about Soya milk, I remember the Alpro unsweetened soya milk was quite nice in tea and coffee.

Reactions: 1spuds

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with real cream for me too, or unsweetened almond milk.
We need to up fat consumption when low carbing and real cream - particularly double cream - is a good source.

I've drunk herb teas, which i prefer, for may years both pre and post diabetes diagnosis, and they don't generally need any cream or milk added.

If you choose to use creamers, always check nutritional content and test glucose levels for possible spikes. Same applies to any fruit drinks, which may be naturally sweet. It's not just added sugars that you need to watch for and avoid.

(Erithritol and stevia are my go to sweeteners when required, and neither have any impact on glucose levels.)

Robbity

AdamPD

Tea with full fat milk and sweetner.

Hmm although the carb content is quite high for milk isn't it? I Assume you can't have more than a couple of cups per day
I know Lactofree's whole milk has less carbs, but I was never sure if it would be ok for low carb dieting.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm although the carb content is quite high for milk isn't it? I Assume you can't have more than a couple of cups per day
I know Lactofree's whole milk has less carbs, but I was never sure if it would be ok for low carb dieting.
I guess some tolerate a tad more carbs than others, we are all unique. A dash of full fat milk might not affect you more than 2 mmol/l but for someone else it can go above that. :) Or some aren't going ultra low carb like keto or low carb, some are more moderate.

Reactions: AdamPD

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take about 100 to 130 grams of carbs per day. I normally include a glass of milk within that. Milk isn’t zero carb but it is reasonably low carb compared with some other drinking options.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I use the French Vanilla sugar free Coffee Mate in coffee sometimes for a change at other times just normal milk and always normal milk in tea For me as I am not very low carb I do not worry about the small amount of carbs in milk

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use lactofree in tea and double cream in coffee.. in fact have used double cream in tea too.. works fine for me. I measure each teaspoonful.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I use the French Vanilla sugar free Coffee Mate in coffee sometimes for a change at other times just normal milk and always normal milk in tea For me as I am not very low carb I do not worry about the small amount of carbs in milk
They do a sugar free coffee mate? That’s useful to know for Mrs Listlad.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm 40% carbs
And an ingredients list from hell.. I think I'd avoid coffee mate like the plague..
Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 10.24.41.png
Screenshot 2019-08-11 at 10.24.33.png

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee Mate and the like "creamers" are all, in my opinion, very artificial / processed chemicals and I avoid them like the plague. Although I always had a spoon of sugar in my coffee or tea, with proper milk, not artificial alternatives, I managed to totally stop all added sugar and actually now enjoy the taste of different coffees rather than adulterating them with various sweeteners and other artificial flavours, but then I do believe sweeteners are the work of the devil and will never, ever willingly use them.

Personal choice definitely, but I agree wholeheartedly with Bulkbiker that the CoffeeMate list of ingredients is pretty awful - definitely to be avoided, in my opinion, proper cream is a great addition though. really good in Coffee.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I drink tea weak and black, have done for years after slowly reducing sugar and then milk over time.
But on T2 diagnosis I was drinking 3 large mugs of latte a day - with skimmed milk.
I cut down to 2 a day (most days), and swapped to full fat milk with more water then started swapping this out for coconut milk or cashew milk.
I also started drinking more water, although I drink artificially sweetened ginger beer for the pre-migraine nausea bouts - I add extra ginger powder or grated ginger to this.

Not sure why no stevia - it is the one sweetener I do use in other foods/drinks and it doesn't spike my blood sugar or cause other issues.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't enjoy black coffee or tea
Milk in tea will reduce the tannins, that might be why you prefer tea with milk, as it happens lemon does the same thing.....you might like to try tea with lemon.