Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I showed 2 diabetics the way to this forum and sent the link to Daisy's introduction to a non diabetic who wanted to know more about diabetes in case she encountered it in her job as a social worker.
Good deeds done for today :)

Reactions: Japes and ert

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I didn't find a mandala pattern but I did find the patterns for my colleagues' Christmas cards, and for all the pressie labels this year. I like stitching the labels for pressies and choose three sets of patterns each year - they're quick one nighters usually, and then one day I'll sit there and pretend I'm on Blue Peter, doing my cutting out and sticking on shaped card etc.

In the end it all works out just in time, and hopefully I have time to get my friend's birthday card and birthday pressie label done too.

I'll start all that lot at the beginning of September which gives me the rest of this month to finish the piece I'm on now.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have tested ketones during one period since I had to keep testing on diagnosis. I had the flu, was consistently high and needed to know the extra insulin I needed to take. I used the sticks you pee on. Which I bought myself. Never had ones for a meter. I’m beginning to think I am too laid back. Will see consultants take on my diabetes management on Monday morning. Bites fingernails!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having the best 24 hours ever. Diabetes running scared of consultant appointment tomorrow me thinks!

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I haven't a ketones tester, or the pee sticks. I'm more likely to hypo than go high and haven't seen the need yet. And I had a glucagon kit but it went out of date so I didn't replace it yet. I have reasonable hypo awareness and one part of me is always on "listening" duty and although I've needed himself to pop down and get the biccies or juice I've not needed other help yet. The boss keeps a stock of OJ in for me (which he drinks at regular intervals and replaces), and the guys are brilliant at helping out if I yell.

Do I still need another glucagon kit? They're so expensive for the surgery and I'd hate to waste their money if I didn't feel I really needed to.

Reactions: porl69 and therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@becca59 . I knew nothing about ketones until I did DAFNE about 20 yrs into diagnosis. I’d heard talk of them but didn’t think it applied to me.
Have since been given strips but have to admit I’ve never really used them. Last time was when I had that “Aussie flu ,” problem was they were out of date:banghead:.

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Along with the always amusing "rage blousing" typo, it's quite funny the number of times threads pop up seriously discussing not "ketones" but the Kent based rockabilly trio, "keytones"
And the amount of times Daphne makes an appearance you’d think she would just join the forum.

Reactions: MeiChanski

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting my fellow pin cushions and pumpers hope you all had a good weekend. Its been chucking it down here in Haggisland all day.

Had a funny old week all week. Normally any highs I get are between breakfast and around 11 am except this week I have been getting a lot of good or low BG all week. Today was a bad one. had brekkie and about 2 hours later went to do a quick weekly shop. Checked BG on Libre and it was 5.3, so thought it would be OK. About 10 mins into the shopping a quick scan ooops 4.6 and heading south east. So I disconnect pump. Abandon shopping and go to car drink 300ml of coke, should be OK. NO another check BG 4.1 and heading straight down. Oooops, so more coke and 10 minutes later BG of 3.6 still heading south. You cannot be serious. I have now ran out of coke to drink and had nothing else with me, but did not feel to bad. Gave it 5 minutes and it had gone up to BG 3.8 and after 15 minutes up to a better BG 4.6. This of course leads me to a raging headache so off home and into kip for an hour

I hate being outside when having a low BG at least at home you feel safer. If I have low BG outside anything below 4 is a bit of a panic. Whereas in house I only panic when I go below BG of 3.

On the plus side I have just uploaded my Libre and for the first time ever, it has given me an anticipated Hb1Ac of below 50, 48 to be precise. For many on here that is still quite high I am sure, but for me its almost the holy grail getting below 50. I got my Libre just over a year ago and my pump just over 6 months ago and what a difference it has made to my control. This time 14 months ago my Hb1Ac was 73 and it was typically around the high 60's low 70's for years before that

I know that some medical people say if you have the pump or Libre that should be sufficient. However I have found that having both working in conjunction with each other makes all the difference

Reactions: Knikki

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You all know I can’t work autocorrect (or umbrellas).

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_8633.jpg

This is me everyday.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had this invention imagination in my head when we were taking about 0.25 unit pens. I was thinking what if we had a digital insulin pen, the button doesn't push out but you can dial it up or down and there is a digital screen showing your units from 0.01 to 30 units. The more I think about it, I don't know how it'll work for prefilled pens. It's just a stupid idea that popped into my head. :hilarious: