Weight loss not working - should I give up?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sally_8873 - How long have you been working on this?

I found my bloods moderated fairly promptly, post-diagnosis but the fasting level was lst to come into line. I also didn't find my bloods trickled downwards. I found my body liked to fight to hold onto it's status quo for as long as possible, prior to notching down to a "new"-for-then normal. And repeat.

Bearing in mind you have a Libre for 2 weeks, once that expires, how will you have any idea what your bloods are doing?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A none diabetic would get 5s and many 6s.

If you just want to stop your liver dumping so that your bgs and hba1c raised, isnt. Why not try a fatty protein at night to slow the dawn rise? A fatty coffee for breakfast etc.
These can reduce people's hba1c.

DawnOfTheZed

I wondered if intermittent fasting or HIIT exercise training might help but don't know if the hypothyroidism might not make either suitable. Things may need thyroid treatment to help the fbg? Persistence and consistency will hopefully teach your body a new normal? Good luck and let us know how things go?

Sally_8873

Thanks - all good tips! My hypothyroidism is asymptomatic (like my diabetes!) but I've not been given reason to think it should stop me doing anything. I've recently started IF so can continue. I've found it a good way to manage my appetite and lose weight. Pre-diagnosis I probably was eating too much and too often. Does it take time for IF to impact your bloods?

I was doing a lot of exercise: swimming, boxing weekly. I had a bit of a break this last month because of exams although continued my twice daily 30mins walks to work. I was very upset doing an exercise dvd on Fri to see my libre graph shoot up to 9! If I carry on, is the impact long-term?

Sally_8873

A none diabetic would get 5s and many 6s.

If you just want to stop your liver dumping so that your bgs and hba1c raised, isnt. Why not try a fatty protein at night to slow the dawn rise? A fatty coffee for breakfast etc.
These can reduce people's hba1c.

OK, so maybe some nuts before bed? Or a creamy coffee for breakfast? My night time bg is 6 ish and it climbs to 7 or 8 when I get up, then sometimes 9 on my walk to work

Sally_8873

@Sally_8873 - How long have you been working on this?

I found my bloods moderated fairly promptly, post-diagnosis but the fasting level was lst to come into line. I also didn't find my bloods trickled downwards. I found my body liked to fight to hold onto it's status quo for as long as possible, prior to notching down to a "new"-for-then normal. And repeat.

Bearing in mind you have a Libre for 2 weeks, once that expires, how will you have any idea what your bloods are doing?

I've been cutting down on carbs and doing a lot more exercise since Feb. I roughly aimed for 100g carbs a day. I lost weight to 48.5kg then plateaued around there.

From June, I've gone harder on the weight loss since my HBA1C came back exactly the same. I was less strict on carbs because I was also experimenting to see what they did to my glucose but I kept the weight down to around 47kg. I've only been monitoring bloods for the last two weeks but they seem similar to previous - my libre says my average bg is 7.5mmol/L which is not much different to HBA1C 51...?

I'm taking a break from the libre cos I was so demoralised by everything this last fortnight. But I have another sensor and can get more. I have an HbA1c test soon also.

Are you saying to keep going and the effect of weight loss and low carb will happen gradually?

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are restricting calories and exercising
Like you do, your Bgs will shoot up, especially if you are fasting. Liver will be dumping glycogen. If I don't eat before I exercise my levels shoot up, even when they are a little higher than I want in the morning.
As a suggestion, have you thought about a bit more fat in your diet to counter act it, at least then you will have some form of energy source plus it will stabilise and bring down your levels, fats help reduce spikes.

100g of carbs are still high, I think possibly you can't tolerate that amount because of insulin resistance. Possibly reduce even further.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been cutting down on carbs and doing a lot more exercise since Feb. I roughly aimed for 100g carbs a day. I lost weight to 48.5kg then plateaued around there.

From June, I've gone harder on the weight loss since my HBA1C came back exactly the same. I was less strict on carbs because I was also experimenting to see what they did to my glucose but I kept the weight down to around 47kg. I've only been monitoring bloods for the last two weeks but they seem similar to previous - my libre says my average bg is 7.5mmol/L which is not much different to HBA1C 51...?

I'm taking a break from the libre cos I was so demoralised by everything this last fortnight. But I have another sensor and can get more. I have an HbA1c test soon also.

Are you saying to keep going and the effect of weight loss and low carb will happen gradually?

The only answer I could possibly give to that would be, "It might or it might not".

One of the most infurating things aboout our bodies is that each ne is unique, although with many commonalities, and many common reactions to given conditions.

It would be sensible to keep an eye on that weight loss though, as when I giot skinny, it took me some time to stabilise my weight loss. My current "fighting weight" is 48.5, give or take a kilo or so. When I lose weight, it takes an age to regain it.

For example, I spent a couple of months overseas earlier in the year. I came back at 46.5kg, which put me underweight, I felt too thin and my size 6s were looser than they should have been. It took me 2 months to get that 2kg back on, so please don't take anything for granted.

Just finally, my Libre readings have never reflected my A1cs.

Sally_8873

Okie doke - so eat before exercise to reduce the rise? Mind you, I think I tried both breakfast and no breakfast before walking to work and my bg was higher with the breakfast. It was 10g cereal and milk so quite carby. I could try nuts?

Dyu mean more fat across the day or before exercise? I eat a decent amount - cheese, yoghurt, nuts, cooking oil. But can try to consciously incorporate more across the day or at certain points.

If you are restricting calories and exercising
Like you do, your Bgs will shoot up, especially if you are fasting. Liver will be dumping glycogen. If I don't eat before I exercise my levels shoot up, even when they are a little higher than I want in the morning.
As a suggestion, have you thought about a bit more fat in your diet to counter act it, at least then you will have some form of energy source plus it will stabilise and bring down your levels, fats help reduce spikes.

Sally_8873

Yes, I see. But you did manage to reduce your bg with weight loss?

I was told by a dietitian to go for 44kg... Which I will do if it will restore my insulin response as it is supposed to! But so far I'm not sure it's having an impact.

Below 42 is an unhealthy weight for me, so a little way to go yet. I do actually prefer being this lighter weight so there has been some benefit to the diagnosis!

The only answer I could possibly give to that would be, "It might or it might not".

One of the most infurating things aboout our bodies is that each ne is unique, although with many commonalities, and many common reactions to given conditions.

It would be sensible to keep an eye on that weight loss though, as when I giot skinny, it took me some time to stabilise my weight loss. My current "fighting weight" is 48.5, give or take a kilo or so. When I lose weight, it takes an age to regain it.

For example, I spent a couple of months overseas earlier in the year. I came back at 46.5kg, which put me underweight, I felt too thin and my size 6s were looser than they should have been. It took me 2 months to get that 2kg back on, so please don't take anything for granted.

Just finally, my Libre readings have never reflected my A1cs.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's seems you can't tolerate carbs, cereals are not the best. I was in the same position as you when annoyingly my Bgs was higher in the morning then the evening. Reducing my carbs, upped my fats it negated my DP, it did take a little while
Try before exercise, to have breakfast, yogurt or cooked breakfast, possibly. You do seem to have fats. I like avocado in salads.
Sometimes you have to be patient.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I see. But you did manage to reduce your bg with weight loss?

I was told by a dietitian to go for 44kg... Which I will do if it will restore my insulin response as it is supposed to! But so far I'm not sure it's having an impact.

Below 42 is an unhealthy weight for me, so a little way to go yet. I do actually prefer being this lighter weight so there has been some benefit to the diagnosis!

I didn't carry much excess poundage at diagnosis, although I did have love handles. I never, ever tried to lose weight.

My approach was to eat to my meter.

I began esting, immediately on diagnosis; self-funded. I tested when I woke, before eating and 2 hours afterwards. I kept a diary of what I ate every day for a long time (say, a couple of years), and recorded every blood test for about the same term.

If my after eating blood test was more than 2 above my pre-eating number, I had to alter that meal, by either ditching the carb-containing content (swapping it for something else) or reducing the amount of the carb-containing and trying again another day.

If my after eating blood test was less than 2 above my pre-eating number, and I had enjoyed my meal, it was a keeper.

I didn't snack, but then I have never snacked.

Doing that, I noticed my overall scores come down, although, as I said before my fasting number was last to come into line. That is something many, many report. I also trimmed up quickly, then had to set about a strategy to maintain weight, whilst continuing to work on the bloods. My HbAics have gone like this:

T2 since October 2013. No medication.

HbA1c:
October 13: 73 or 8.8% (How did that happen?)
February 14: 37 or 5.5%
May 14: 34 or 5.3%
August 14: 32 or 5.1%
November 14: 33 or 5.1%
May 15: 31 or 5.0%
October 15: 33 or 5.1%
September 16: 31 or 5.0%
November 17: 33 or 5.1%
March 18: A "bonus", unexpected test due to other bloods - 30 or 4.9%. I joined the 4s club! I hadn't expected a reduction, having got used to toggling 33<>31<>33<>31 for the last 3 years, literally.
March 19: 27 or 4.6% Another surprising reduction.

Work in progress, but GP took me off the Diabetes Register, late 2014.

A very wise and well respected person once said we we moderate our carbs to satisfy our blood glucose meters and our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales. That makes sense to and for me.

Sally_8873

Oooh! I'll try it. T

Only downside is I could legit eat cake and pastry all day using this method cos it makes me peak super quickly but then also come down very quickly (ie. within an hour) whereas a big salad raises it much later...

I didn't carry much excess poundage at diagnosis, although I did have love handles. I never, ever tried to lose weight.

My approach was to eat to my meter.

I began esting, immediately on diagnosis; self-funded. I tested when I woke, before eating and 2 hours afterwards. I kept a diary of what I ate every day for a long time (say, a couple of years), and recorded every blood test for about the same term.

If my after eating blood test was more than 2 above my pre-eating number, I had to alter that meal, by either ditching the carb-containing content (swapping it for something else) or reducing the amount of the carb-containing and trying again another day.

If my after eating blood test was less than 2 above my pre-eating number, and I had enjoyed my meal, it was a keeper.

I didn't snack, but then I have never snacked.

Doing that, I noticed my overall scores come down, although, as I said before my fasting number was last to come into line. That is something many, many report. I also trimmed up quickly, then had to set about a strategy to maintain weight, whilst continuing to work on the bloods. My HbAics have gone like this:

T2 since October 2013. No medication.

HbA1c:
October 13: 73 or 8.8% (How did that happen?)
February 14: 37 or 5.5%
May 14: 34 or 5.3%
August 14: 32 or 5.1%
November 14: 33 or 5.1%
May 15: 31 or 5.0%
October 15: 33 or 5.1%
September 16: 31 or 5.0%
November 17: 33 or 5.1%
March 18: A "bonus", unexpected test due to other bloods - 30 or 4.9%. I joined the 4s club! I hadn't expected a reduction, having got used to toggling 33<>31<>33<>31 for the last 3 years, literally.
March 19: 27 or 4.6% Another surprising reduction.

Work in progress, but GP took me off the Diabetes Register, late 2014.

A very wise and well respected person once said we we moderate our carbs to satisfy our blood glucose meters and our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales. That makes sense to and for me.