Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had this invention imagination in my head when we were taking about 0.25 unit pens. I was thinking what if we had a digital insulin pen, the button doesn't push out but you can dial it up or down and there is a digital screen showing your units from 0.01 to 30 units. The more I think about it, I don't know how it'll work for prefilled pens. It's just a stupid idea that popped into my head. :hilarious:
I think that the tiny volumes involved would be well beyond the tolerances of a pen - if 1ml contains 100u and therefore1u of insulin is 0.01ml, so 0.01u would be 0.00001ml or a tenth of a microlitre! Back in my lab days we had pipettes that could go that small, but they cost hundreds of pounds two decades ago. Can’t imagine it being very cost effective compared to a pump.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm torturing the concept of acronyms a bit here, but, perhaps:

Diabetes And Pasta, Heck, Now, I would Eat that.
Dose Adjustment for Perfectly Healthy Normal Eating.
That’s my best shot late on a Sunday evening.

Reactions: Japes

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dose Adjustment for Perfectly Healthy Normal Eating.
That’s my best shot late on a Sunday evening.

And it's a very good one, thoroughly deserving of a Top Banana award!

I'm back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off, won't quite get into the game for a day or two, so will continue to work on lame efforts like:

Diabetes And getting P*****: Hen Night Excessive drinking.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And it's a very good one, thoroughly deserving of a Top Banana award!

I'm back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off, won't quite get into the game for a day or two, so will continue to work on lame efforts like:

Diabetes And getting P*****: Hen Night Excessive drinking.
Back to work after 2 weeks off. Not good. Hope the break has been good ( whatever constitutes good:))
I’m liking your acronym. Obviously one for the ladies:):)

Reactions: Knikki and Marie 2

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Diabetes
And
People
Having
Nocturnal
Excursions (of the glycaemic variety)

Or I was thinking along the lines of:
Dose Adjustments: Pastry, honey, Nutella, eclairs.

Great course. Really useful. Looking forward to it. :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm sure that the next time someone inadvertently refers to "DAPHNE", instead of "DAFNE", we'll all be very mature about it...

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My usual rant about short-acting and exercise: Dinner followed by a small amount of Fiasp (less than 1/4 of what I needed), followed by my usual 42-minute interval run. My blood sugar was a healthy 8 to start with, and I followed the decline, stopping myself at 6, watching it descend to low 4's before my crazy antics: (the Daphne rather than Dafne) having a hot bath, running up and downstairs, drinking coffee and finally having to resort to a single orange jellybean and a small amount of dexter gel. The lowest I reached was 3.8 and I'm 6 now before bed. I guess the answer must be that I don't need any Fiasp with my dinner on night's I'm running, rather than avoiding dinner altogether as I have been before tonight, and running on long-acting.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My usual rant about short-acting and exercise: Dinner followed by a small amount of Fiasp (less than 1/4 of what I needed), followed by my usual 42-minute interval run. My blood sugar was a healthy 8 to start with, and I followed the decline, stopping myself at 6, watching it descend to low 4's before my crazy antics: (the Daphne rather than Dafne) having a hot bath, running up and downstairs, drinking coffee and finally having to resort to a single orange jellybean and a small amount of dexter gel. The lowest I reached was 3.8 and I'm 6 now before bed. I guess the answer must be that I don't need any Fiasp with my dinner on night's I'm running, rather than avoiding dinner as I have been before tonight, and running on long-acting.
Fiasp isn't short acting - it's an ultra rapid acting insulin. Oh I remember the times where Actrapid which is a short acting insulin, was used to treat my highs when mixtard 30 wasn't doing it's best. I think for your run, you needed something with carbs if it's longer than 30-45 mins. I remember covering work for my auntie when she was in labour. I didn't have time to sit down to eat something properly, but because I was on my feet longer than 45 mins and it was a warm restaurant (it's amazing how a small house of 15 people sitting down for a meal can develop so much natural body heat), I nibbled on carbs every few minutes to keep myself going. Until the time to sit down for my meal, I reduced my insulin as well to avoid the hypos afterwards. But I hope you're okay now though :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes it really aggravates you................I woke with my alarm going off with a level 3.9 and my arrow was headed downward. So I went ahead and ate 8 carbs to prevent a too low and did a temp basal reduction for an hour. Only to watch within 10 minutes my levels shooting up and reaching an 8. I stopped the reduction gave myself some insulin and watched my levels hit 8.9 before starting to come back down from the extra insulin. All this before my DP extra doses kicked in. Luckily I didn't rage bolus, I really wanted to and ended up waking up to a nice 4.8.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
6 @ 6am, not bad considering the massive curry I had at lunchtime yesterday. I've gone off The Tree in Iffley. There's a great range of curries as well as a carvery but the quality wasn't what it used to be. The whole place could do with a really deep clean.

Off to London later to see the final day of the summer show at the Royal Academy. I'm really looking forward to it as I've never been before.

Hope we all have a good week. It's wet out there

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends
I am once again not sleeping, :(
Diabetes our old friend is doing okay at 7.1.
I'm beginning to think that I cannot live life like this, I need to tackle my issues because if I can't handle university, I don't think I can handle a job. I'd be fired within a few days for lack of attendance and work. I mean it'll be different if I was enjoying what I'm doing, I don't mind some of the bits but they are telling me to read an entire book to type up an essay that can be answered in any way possible. It's not like maths or science where it is either right or wrong. I could potentially make up a sociological explanation to say that there are 100 gender identities that we don't know about by citing intellectual references. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
But yes, my motivation, time management and negativity needs more work.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good monday morning everyone have a good day
FB_IMG_1508431223640.jpg

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just out of interest, do any of you beautiful girlies use a menstrual cup for your lady days? I'm still looking into it, I heard it's better for our bodies and the environment.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hello friends
I am once again not sleeping, :(
Diabetes our old friend is doing okay at 7.1.
I'm beginning to think that I cannot live life like this, I need to tackle my issues because if I can't handle university, I don't think I can handle a job. I'd be fired within a few days for lack of attendance and work. I mean it'll be different if I was enjoying what I'm doing, I don't mind some of the bits but they are telling me to read an entire book to type up an essay that can be answered in any way possible. It's not like maths or science where it is either right or wrong. I could potentially make up a sociological explanation to say that there are 100 gender identities that we don't know about by citing intellectual references. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
But yes, my motivation, time management and negativity needs more work.
University is an all-consuming beast. I'm sorry you're toughing it out. I certainly didn't enjoy every class I took, for sure I remember spending every hour of every day and night trying to solve what appeared to be unsolvable problems. I don't enjoy a lot of aspects of my work and often wish I were studying again. And living in a different country. Though when I did move away from Oxford, I missed it and moved back. For me, it's the greener grass.

Reactions: SueJB

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin all. Arrived in the glorious Midlands yesterday. I don’t enjoy driving up here any more. The first solo drive I did was fourteen years ago and since then the roads have got steadily busier, and the services all seem devoted to junk food. Sooooo many roadworks. Soooo many stretches at 40 mph.
Here now tho, so relax and get on with the part time job and super-enjoying time with younger daughter, son-in-law and the grandsons.
@MeiChanski, jobs aren’t all like Uni courses. I wonder how many of the perceived motivation, time management and negativity problems you think you have are really the effects of not doing something that suits your talents and personality? In my opinion, you don’t need a degree to have a decent life.
Hope you have a good time at the summer show @SueJB. Spoiler alert, some of the walls are so packed with pictures you may end up thinking you’ve got BS sight problems!
Have a cheerful day everyone no matter the endogenous and exogenous weather.