Information on long term effect of teflon cannulas?

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I've been trying to find information on the effect on health when using teflon canulas long term. I have not found any info on the internet so far. I'm having weird joint and muscle problems and sometimes think it may be caused by toxins, maybe from teflon.
Has anybody have information on this? Or maybe you have been diagnosed with a health problem caused by teflon?
I'd be happy to hear from you if you have any information on this.
Thanks!
Rianne

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rianne

I am curious to ask why you think Teflon sets could be the issue and why you have linked it to this ?

Reactions: Rianne

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the tag @Jaylee
I have experienced no problems with my cannulas. I think the cannulas I used for 3 years with the Animas were teflon (I can't find the details). The Medtrum needles (my latest pump) are metal - I think tungsten.

Depending on the type of your pump, you may have the option to try steel cannulas. I think Medtronic pumps have a selection of different cannula including steel ones.

Thanks for your reply, helensaramay. Good to hear you have not had problems with the teflon cannulas.
I have a new Ypsopump since 3 months and am trying the steel cannulas now. My previous pump, the Insight, could only be used with teflon cannulas.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Rianne

I am curious to ask why you think Teflon sets could be the issue and why you have linked it to this ?

Hi Juicyi,
The problems I have with my joints cannot be identified with röntgen or MRI. I am having a PET-scan soon. I have deformed PIP and DIP joints and various cysts and bone edema in my hands and wrists and a strange thickening of my clavicle. Also my muscles are getting more stiff, etc. At the sites of the deformations there are unrecognizable black areas on the MRI. I was wondering if it could be deposits of toxins. As there is a lot of information on teflon pans as a possible health risk, I was wondering what teflon cannulas could do to the body after using them for many years. I have a pump for more than 16 years now, using teflon till recently. The first strange things in my hands started a few years after starting pumping. I never linked it to the cannulas though. But I have read a lot about other very slow, concealed effects of for example food additives, heavy metals, xenoestrogens etc. I am trying to find out what it could be. I do not know if a PET-scan can identify toxic deposits. I do hope of course that it will lighten up what is wrong....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rianne

Many years ago there was a "thing" about damaged, scratched, chipped Teflon coated cookware? Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is said to be used in the process, which could be the concern.

The OP beat me to it..

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many years ago there was a "thing" about damaged, scratched, chipped Teflon coated cookware? Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) is said to be used in the process, which could be the concern.

The OP beat me to it..

Yes, that is what I read many times. Later it was said that it was only harmful at a certain high temperature. Since there is so much contradicting and manipulated information I chose to check with you all, if you experienced weird symptoms. So far, that does not seem the case. But I only placed this post yesterday ;-).....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rianne sorry to hear about your issues, hope they can find what the cause is for you. Please keep us updated. I've been pumping for maybe 7 yrs or so using Teflon all the time and had no similar issues.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Rianne sorry to hear about your issues, hope they can find what the cause is for you. Please keep us updated. I've been pumping for maybe 7 yrs or so using Teflon all the time and had no similar issues.

Thanks for your kind reply, Chas C. Good to hear that you are doing fine using teflon. I will certainly keep you updated when I find out more!

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Rianne
Are you taking statins by any chance?

Hi Bulkbiker, no, I do not use statins. I have had them prescribed many years ago when my internist said it was protocol for every type 1, even with perfect cholesterol values. I experienced muscle weakness and stopped very soon with them. Thas was I believe in 2005. Later on my internist admitted it was not the best protocol... Thanks for checking. It could indeed have been a (part of the) cause.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bulkbiker, no, I do not use statins. I have had them prescribed many years ago when my internist said it was protocol for every type 1, even with perfect cholesterol values. I experienced muscle weakness and stopped very soon with them. Thas was I believe in 2005. Later on my internist admitted it was not the best protocol... Thanks for checking. It could indeed have been a (part of the) cause.
Just a thought.. very pleased for you that you aren't!

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that is what I read many times. Later it was said that it was only harmful at a certain high temperature. Since there is so much contradicting and manipulated information I chose to check with you all, if you experienced weird symptoms. So far, that does not seem the case. But I only placed this post yesterday ;-).....

Hi again,

I would concur there is no harm in asking the question regarding teflon canula use from experienced members. :)
There was a concern years ago regarding the effects of toxins with continuous contact of Teflon in the industry, which then got sensationally passed down to the average frying pan user? Oddly enough when i search for the possible effects of Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) toxins on the human body, it (Controversially) throws up similar symptoms, ailments & cancers as vegetable oils..!
But i haven't seen anything from either Veg oil or PFOA on muscle & joint issues.

One controversial common ground though with both is possible causation of a thyroid problem, which in turn may manifest as joint & muscle issues?

At this point i hasten to add this is pure conjecture & my source material may well be sketchy...
Further searches on your issue reveals possible other causations. (Including viral & auto immune?) Though it's not entirely clear as to the precise nature of your personal issue..
It's very easy to jump "out of the frying pan into the fire" with "Doctor Google...";)

Have you consulted your doctor with your joint & muscle problems..?

Best wishes.

Rianne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again,

I would concur there is no harm in asking the question regarding teflon canula use from experienced members. :)
There was a concern years ago regarding the effects of toxins with continuous contact of Teflon in the industry, which then got sensationally passed down to the average frying pan user? Oddly enough when i search for the possible effects of Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) toxins on the human body, it (Controversially) throws up similar symptoms, ailments & cancers as vegetable oils..!
But i haven't seen anything from either Veg oil or PFOA on muscle & joint issues.

One controversial common ground though with both is possible causation of a thyroid problem, which in turn may manifest as joint & muscle issues?

At this point i hasten to add this is pure conjecture & my source material may well be sketchy...
Further searches on your issue reveals possible other causations. (Including viral & auto immune?) Though it's not entirely clear as to the precise nature of your personal issue..
It's very easy to jump "out of the frying pan into the fire" with "Doctor Google...";)

Have you consulted your doctor with your joint & muscle problems..?

Best wishes.

Thanks, Jaylee, for your informative mail. I just watched 'The devil we know' on youtube, on the plaintiffs agains DuPont on the former use of PFOA's and the effects of that on health, especially cancer. PFOA's are forbidden since 2015 in the US and Europe but still produced elsewhere in the world. Where it is forbidden it is replaced by Gen X, which also seems to be a carcinogen.
Ideed, with internet, it is difficult to find really thrustworthy information. There is a lot of fake news, manipulation and emotionally coloured information.
On your question about cosulting a doctor: yes, I have seen various doctors so far and had various tests. They first told me that with diabetes (for 40 years now) and - indeed - hypothyroidism for 27 years now), my joint problems were more prevalent/normal.... But even of these illnesses we still do not know what causes it really.
If teflon/PFOA/C8/GenX are in our drinking water and affects people, what if I place it in my body every day with a canula.
They've sent me home for two years that it is osteoarthritis, but it worsens too quickly and I insisted to take me serious and look at the röntgen and MRI's real good. And now they confirm that these imaging materials really do not give a conclusion of osteoarthritis. Therefore I now have a PET-scan. But, as said, I have no idea what can be seen on those. Parallel I am thus checking with you all. Without wanting to harrass you with worries. But still maybe help you all to stay alert of what we are having prescribed/used for our 'health'.

D

Deleted member 308541

We have had no problems with this fry pan mate, except it aint non stick any more.

bm32LuJ.jpg