Peripheral Neuropathy

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, I’ve been told the lack of sensation in my feet is due to peripheral neuropathy, however it’s not due to my
Pre diabeties but rather a vitamin B12 deficiency. As such I’ve been told it’s non recoverable. Has anyone had this issue and if so found anything that has helped? Thanks.
B.

Raelynn76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have neuropathy and take cymbalta for it. Mine is from t1 diabetes. Cymbalta works great for the pain.

Reactions: Goldenoldy

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am borderline pre-diabetic and have neuropathy in both feet. I am taking B12 methylcobalamin and alpha lipoic acid and it helps to a degree although I do still have the problem.

Hi, I am borderline pre-diabetic and have neuropathy in both feet. I am taking B12 methylcobalamin and alpha lipoic acid and it helps to a degree although I do still have the problem.

Hi, Can you please describe any other symptoms you suffer and what the Neuropathy in the feet feels like. I have been told i am pre or borderline diabetic and left to fend for myself by the busy GP with no follow up of any kind which I find strange.
I am trying to get my head around this and want to get to work now on a change of direction if possible, I have burning feet when in firm shoes or boots, a few other symptoms as well that i am not sure about, they may be due to the fact that i am 2.5 to 3 stone too heavy, interested to hear what you have experienced please and what was your journey to find some direction. If you dont mind !

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Can you please describe any other symptoms you suffer and what the Neuropathy in the feet feels like. I have been told i am pre or borderline diabetic and left to fend for myself by the busy GP with no follow up of any kind which I find strange.
I am trying to get my head around this and want to get to work now on a change of direction if possible, I have burning feet when in firm shoes or boots, a few other symptoms as well that i am not sure about, they may be due to the fact that i am 2.5 to 3 stone too heavy, interested to hear what you have experienced please and what was your journey to find some direction. If you dont mind !
I have been through numerous doctors and consultants and tests, including Xray, MRI & nerve conduction studies, which show I have small fibre neuropathy. Although it can be idiopathic , it was thought the most likely cause is having higher than normal blood sugar over a prolonged period. This has manifested with a strange pressing sensation in the balls of both feet, i described it as like having a stone or marble pressed into my feet at all times. It fluctuates in intensity, at it's worst its like someone is pressing a screwdriver into my feet. I also have occasional sharp electric shock like pains all around my feet. Regarding numbness, it was worse at couple of years ago, I failed the Ipswich Touch Test initially but i reckon i might pass it now.
A B12 test showed I was low, although not very low, but I am now taking a methycobalamin supplement 1000mcg a day and I also take Alpha Lipoic Acid in varying amounts. I did take Benfotiamine (B1) for a couple of years but stopping this had no affect so i discontinued it. I wear Skechers Go Walk trainers virtually all the time, which are just about the only thing I can wear without great discomfort.
If I stop taking the supplements I know about it. I am sure the B12 helps. Unfortunately, with the poor exchange rate the R-ALA which is imported from the USA is now very expensive so I am combining it in lower doses with the racemic R/S variety.
After 3-4 year's i would say the pain is marginally better now than at the start, but that might be because I've become used to it.

Martino

I am new here and am reading various postings and came across your comments. I have a prediabetic score of 42 and whilst this is only just in the range of concern am puzzled about what got me here. I have several neuropathic problems including Small Fibre Neuropathy which is a type of peripheral neuropathy and burning feet is very much a symptom. Thought you might like to have a look at this. There is no cure sadly and management is all you can do. I wear Crocs all day long but it may well be easier for me as I am retired