Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Self control...!!

Which goes out the window when you treat. My treatment is glucotabs, I take 3 when low, then test every 10 minutes until levels are above 4, then a small carby snack to keep levels up, say a biscuit, if I think I need it, but also watch out hypos tend to occur again afterwards as the liver draws glucose back out of your blood to replace missing stocks, so take care to run a bit higher afterwards. When I was first diagnosed I could empty the biscuit tin but dealing with the resulting highs was a nightmare, so having a plan and sticking to it is a good idea.

Reactions: Alison54321 and ert

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sucking on a juice box slowly works for me I can see the levels slowly rise as I have a continuous glucose monitor I can keep an eye on my bloods slowly going up as long as I’m sitting down I find I’m okay

Reactions: Alison54321

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me.
Depends whether I have fast acting IOB or not.

If it's a basal hypo? I try to stay in the 5g of quick acting & an additional 10g of something like a digestive.
Between & Around 5/10g of carb tends to land me nicely with Novo in the system.
I normally test about 25 to 30 minutes later? (Due to a time lag on the reading.) any tests too soon after the initial detection & treat can sometimes show a drop when in actuality the carbs are working on the system. It's easy to panic & overtreat.

Edit; just seen you have a CGM. @Jed.s :cool:

Reactions: michita

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often overtreat then end up waiting to be steady then correcting it how can you not panic though you try to explain to everyone what a hypo feels like but only we understand how we feel and I appreciate every one of you for fighting this with me

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
3 jelly babies, wait 15 mins, check BG then same again. Or if no jelly babies 4 raspberry gluco tabs

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get on prescription glucose gel for my hypos as I have to carry them with me and I also carry dextrose tablets as either I can get a hold of as I have been in hospital with a hypo before and after it you feel drained and can take awhile to come around and to feel like yourself again but that you have a choice and you can also take with you sweets and not chocolate as chocolate takes longer to get in your system before you feel the sugar in your blood and going into your liver

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 3 Haribo sweets to treat mine (I weighed them so I know each one of the ones I get is 5 carbs), then test, then repeat.

I tend to like the Haribos mainly because they're nigh on indestructible - doesn't matter if they're in the same pocket as keys, coins, wallet, etc, they don't crumble into dust, leak, melt or make a mess :) and as a bonus they're cheap :)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite often over do it - usually because mine have a bit of a pattern and I often have to drive not long after.

I don't mind if I bounce up to about 10 because that often comes down, but yesterday I went from 3.2 to 14 and it wouldn't budge. No idea why it shot so high but even with novorapid in my for 2 hours it only dropped to 12. Didn't want to inject more before bed and woke up on 9. Maybe I'm getting a cold

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do you have glucojels where you are they work a treat

Yeah we do BUT I prefer jelly babies (tropical). Very hard not to eat more than 3 at a time :hilarious::hilarious:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yeah we do BUT I prefer jelly babies (tropical). Very hard not to eat more than 3 at a time :hilarious::hilarious:
I had a major victory the other day. I stopped at five jelly babies. An hour later blood glucose was 5.2, so I even stopped at the right amount.

It felt like a major victory anyway.

Reactions: Rokaab and Jed.s

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It very much depends on where I am, what I'm doing, and what caused it. When I was younger I would overtreat as well, but now we have libre, and other cgms we have much more information to work with.

I find it useful not to use sweets I really like though, otherwise I will eat too many. I used to find Rowntrees fruit pastels very useful, because they were the most boring sweet I could find. Though I don't use them now.

If I'm out walking, and it's dropping fast, I'll use sweets, other times I might just eat a banana, or something with less carbs. I tend to find the more I eat the faster the carbs act, so it depends how serious a hypo it is. I woke up once in the middle of the night with 1.6, that was before libre, it hasn't happened since I got it, and ate loads of sweets to stop it falling too much further and get it up as quick as possible.

Occasionally I pre-bolus for a meal, and my blood sugar just falls faster than expected, then I'll overtreat in those circumstances, as well, and just deal with the aftermath, rather than let it fall too far.

It just depends how fast it's falling, and how much insulin on board.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I avoid over treating by eating something I don't want to eat too much of.

Meanwhile I have to have something I like, otherwise I become even more awkward/picky/stubborn than normal (which is already very awkward/picky/stubborn) and am unlikely to eat it, or have enough of it.

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Two orange dextrose tablets for a bad one, wait a bit and maybe take a third if there’s no sign of it improving. If it’s just a gentle dip that needs just a nudge, half of one.

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Half to 3 Dextrose. Used to carry jelly babies but found I had trouble with dogs jumping up me. Dextrose seems to have cured this. I don’t like them but hey ho! In the middle of the night always down a 15ml can of Coke so I can go back to sleep without issue. Never have other carbs anymore. If I don’t go up, which is rare, would have another Dextrose. Had half a Dextrose this morning whilst sat in hospital waiting room as I could see I was on the way to a hypo. Which wouldn’t have been good. Rose from 4-6 within 15 minutes. Prior to Libre I would have eaten more and tried to get away with fruit. However by treating minimally with pure sugar I am less likely to keep dropping.