What is going on in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
I am referring to another locked thread where one member has insulted other members of this forum as well as the Mods/Admin in another vile blog that has the only agenda of ridiculing this forum and it's members? Why is this person still allowed to post here and has not been banned?

This post by the same member is another insult and the author should have been banned immediately or at least have been given a warning openly to warn off others who might decide that they can get away with throwing around insults as they wish.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23165&hilit=ray&start=15

So can the Mods/Admin please expalin what's going on, are we now all allowed to insult each other at will without the fear of being banned or warned?

Albert

Yes kamon. I agree. I have been here and lurked here for a long time, almost since the forum began. There definitely seems to be a very soft approach nowadays. Seems many things that were previously dealt with swiftly get left alone. I would imagine the new mods have a lot to learn but surely there must be somebody with experience on here? This same person you refer to has told people on that same blog and in thet topic that I'm Ken for some reason.?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not an expert and a relative newbie but can I add my thoughts to this?

I would expect that it could be quite difficult to ban somebody from this forum for the offence of what they have written elsewhere. I read the thread that has been linked to and although I most definitely see a rather infantile attempt to wind people up, I cannot see anything that warrants a ban.

I would question why folks would go to this other blogsite if what is written there is so irritating, I'm assuming the person whose writes the blog is possibly an ex-member from here doing his level best to have a pop at those that use this forum?

Why waste your time reading it if the guy is such a jerk? As for those writing there and putting the boot in here..hypocritical and infantile are the two words that spring to mind.

Seriously, childhood play ground antics. I'll be curious to see if those that "talk the talk" elsewhere have the bottle to do it here. I doubt it somehow.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This has been a delicate situation we wanted to handle considerately. Our ethos for the forum has always for it to be a free and open platform for people to discuss diabetes and their experiences. The reason that, that thread was locked is because the thread became inflammatory.

When it comes to banning the member in question - we did deliberate whether to ban the member. As they post on 'another' blog, it's clear and simple for other members to see how inconsiderate/stupid/deranged/selfish/'add your term here' the member in question actually is - as still they come here, even though they ridicule it?

As ladybird says, it's just childish - and we don't wish to entertain it. Members can see the ramblings/forum posts and decide for themselves. We stick by our ethos; and always will. Our actions show this.

Even still, is it justifiable for us to ban a member who probably needs the help and support of the forum community more than anyone else! We're not interested in childish games. We have nothing to hide, and so members (if they want) can see how silly some people can become. Each thread/post, when it comes to moderation, is dealt on a case by case basis. In this case, it was decided to leave the thread as it is obvious for members to see how ridiculous people can become. It also shows how we want to provide a free and open platform.

The mods have also been doing a very good job. When it comes to a forum of 30,000+ people, it takes time to get to grips with moderation and it certainly a great thing they're doing for the community. The team have been doing a great job - and when it comes to topics/situations like the one we're discussing, the decision is left to the admin team, so it really has little to do with the mod team. We decided to lock the thread.

We are not for or against any particular diet, lifestyle or management method (no matter what some people think!). We had many members asking us to remove the 600kcal diet threads, for example - however, we feel a social responsibility to keep these threads on the forum. Surely it's better to have it in the open, where people can make their own minds up, rather than remove them and not allow these discussions - especially when people are so interested in these topics.

It's plain and simple for us - we want a free, open platform - and the forum has never been so free-flowing with so many new members joining daily for a long time. As always, if any members take exception to any posts/threads they can always contact mods/admin for them to be dealt with.

Margi

I haven't read any of the person under discussion's rantings, so I don't know what they contain, but may I ask a question about it such things in general?

Is the ethos of the forum to allow free discussion so long as no personal attacks are made on other members? I am assuming that is the case, but just wanted to check. Not that I'm the inflammatory type, but I suppose I want to know what types of posts would warrant reporting and which don't.

It must be very difficult to moderate and administer a forum of this size, and it is inevitable that some threads will be missed for a while. That makes it important for the rest of us to let the mods know if something is getting out of hand. I really admire you mods and admins, thank you for being there.

Some of the stronger minded and outspoken people out there perhaps should remember that many people come here for moral support as well as to ask questions on the physical management of their diabetes. Most people are here for comfort and support and really could do without the negs. Is there a section for ranting and strong words that could be titled, 'do not enter here unless you want to vent' or some such, or maybe stronger?

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Administrator said:
This has been a delicate situation we wanted to handle considerately. Our ethos for the forum has always for it to be a free and open platform for people to discuss diabetes and their experiences. The reason that, that thread was locked is because the thread became inflammatory.

Sorry Admin but if it doesn't get stopped all you'll have is a "free for all" forum that will then be very hard to controll, just like it was two years ago when the "low-carbers" were "allowed" to insult anyone at will.

When it comes to banning the member in question - we did deliberate whether to ban the member. As they post on 'another' blog, it's clear and simple for other members to see how inconsiderate/stupid/deranged/selfish/'add your term here' the member in question actually is - as still they come here, even though they ridicule it?

Did you ask yourselves why that member still comes here and what his "agenda" might be? Masybe he is the one who is passing on people profile information as someone did mine? I'm not claiming that it was him but as he is the only one here who ridicules this forum and it's members it just might be.
As ladybird says, it's just childish - and we don't wish to entertain it. Members can see the ramblings/forum posts and decide for themselves. We stick by our ethos; and always will. Our actions show this.

It is childish and should be "punished" accordingly. You know as I do that of a child is "spoiled" he will behave even worse and cause more damage and more arguments in the future.

Even still, is it justifiable for us to ban a member who probably needs the help and support of the forum community more than anyone else! We're not interested in childish games. We have nothing to hide, and so members (if they want) can see how silly some people can become. Each thread/post, when it comes to moderation, is dealt on a case by case basis. In this case, it was decided to leave the thread as it is obvious for members to see how ridiculous people can become. It also shows how we want to provide a free and open platform.

I do not see this particular member asking for any help Admin, all I see from him is ramblings and insults, so how do you suggest we help him? Should we insult him back, maybe that's what he really needs help with?

The mods have also been doing a very good job. When it comes to a forum of 30,000+ people, it takes time to get to grips with moderation and it certainly a great thing they're doing for the community. The team have been doing a great job - and when it comes to topics/situations like the one we're discussing, the decision is left to the admin team, so it really has little to do with the mod team. We decided to lock the thread.

Locking thread after thread because of one person is not going to help any one Admin, getting rid of obvious insulting members will leave the other peace loving members to have a proper conversation and give them a chance to help each other without the fear that they will be ridiculed by a "childish" member.

We are not for or against any particular diet, lifestyle or management method (no matter what some people think!). We had many members asking us to remove the 600kcal diet threads, for example - however, we feel a social responsibility to keep these threads on the forum. Surely it's better to have it in the open, where people can make their own minds up, rather than remove them and not allow these discussions - especially when people are so interested in these topics.

You'll find that many of us, including myself, are also not against any particular diet, all we care about is what helps people to keep good BG levels and at the same time makes them happy but we can't even talk about it without (litterally) being insulted those who do not share the same view as they do. If it carries on like this, members will be too scared to ask any question and those who want to help will not reply to questions becaseu they will be too scared of starting another argument and be ridiculed for their views.

It's plain and simple for us - we want a free, open platform - and the forum has never been so free-flowing with so many new members joining daily for a long time.

It's your forum and you run it as you see fit but don't be surprised if more and more members leave in disgust and go elsewhere to help or get answers to their questions.

[uote]As always, if any members take exception to any posts/threads they can always contact mods/admin for them to be dealt with.[/quote]

I'm sorry but what would be the point in contacting Mods or yourself if all you are going to do is just lock the thread? That will do nothing to stop the real threat of the same thing happening in another thread. What then, will you lock that thread as well? Then the next one and the next one?

Would it not be easier and better for the forum to just get rid of the childish trouble makers and give the rest a chance to get on with helping and getting help?

As I mentioned above, it's your forum and you run it as you see fit but if you expect us all to stay here only to be insulted by some stupidly childish member/s who proudly boast about their achivements in an equally vile blog while literally taking the p*** and calling us all the names under the sun then you might as well ask us to become just like him/them.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Albert said:
Yes kamon. I agree. I have been here and lurked here for a long time, almost since the forum began. There definitely seems to be a very soft approach nowadays. Seems many things that were previously dealt with swiftly get left alone. I would imagine the new mods have a lot to learn but surely there must be somebody with experience on here? This same person you refer to has told people on that same blog and in thet topic that I'm Ken for some reason.?

I'm afraid that "bring back the good old days" is not an option Albert. What a shame really that very small minority of members are spoiling it for the rest of us!

And yes mate, on that same blog I was also ridiculed for my opinions and also accused of being someone else. It seems that the saying that some people get childish/infantile as they grow older is very much true for some. :roll: :roll:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Margi said:
I haven't read any of the person under discussion's rantings, so I don't know what they contain, but may I ask a question about it such things in general?

Is the ethos of the forum to allow free discussion so long as no personal attacks are made on other members? I am assuming that is the case, but just wanted to check.

Well, from what I gather, that's how it supposed to be but as I see it, nothing is being done when some members insult others. All that's done is to lock the thread but then it just starts all over again in another thread and that gets locked again and again and again. It's more like a "free for all" then "free discussion".

Not that I'm the inflammatory type, but I suppose I want to know what types of posts would warrant reporting and which don't.

What would be the point in reporting anything if nothing is going to get donbe apart from locking the thread?

It must be very difficult to moderate and administer a forum of this size, and it is inevitable that some threads will be missed for a while. That makes it important for the rest of us to let the mods know if something is getting out of hand. I really admire you mods and admins, thank you for being there.

As an x-Admin of another forum I know very well how hard and difficult it is to moderate a forum but, with all due respect to all Mods/Admin, some people are being allowed to get away with a lot of things that they will never be allowed to do in other forums.

Some of the stronger minded and outspoken people out there perhaps should remember that many people come here for moral support as well as to ask questions on the physical management of their diabetes. Most people are here for comfort and support and really could do without the negs. Is there a section for ranting and strong words that could be titled, 'do not enter here unless you want to vent' or some such, or maybe stronger?

That's what this (The DIabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say" is about but it's not for "strong words" or "insults". In my experience a "section" like that will and does bleed into other parts of the forum and will and does spoil the rest of the forum because some people will "forget" where they are at the time and just let loose at will. Let's not forget that this is an open forum and minors read it as well.

josie38

Hi Ka-mon,

We try to do our jobs as guided by admin. So why should we let the ramblings on another blog make us feel bad? As mods our concerns are for the members of this forum not for the people who write elsewhere. We are here to moderate this forum and to offer support and help to our members.

If some members feel the need to vent frustrations elsewhere then that is up to them.

Not all threads get locked if reported. A decision is made based on the whole thread not just one persons posts and locking a thread is the last resort.

As admin have said if you find something insulting please report it so we can investigate what has gone on...that is what we are here for x

Josie

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
josie38 said:
Hi Ka-mon,

We try to do our jobs as guided by admin. So why should we let the ramblings on another blog make us feel bad? As mods our concerns are for the members of this forum not for the people who write elsewhere. We are here to moderate this forum and to offer support and help to our members.

If some members feel the need to vent frustrations elsewhere then that is up to them.

Not all threads get locked if reported. A decision is made based on the whole thread not just one persons posts and locking a thread is the last resort.

As admin have said if you find something insulting please report it so we can investigate what has gone on...that is what we are here for x

Josie

With respect Josie this subject has a lot of history which is why having at least one moderator with experience of more than just this forum can be extremely useful. The member who is the subject of this post as well as insulting all and sundry on an almost daily basis on fast eddies blog also rants with eddie and friends on another blog 'The Ides of Starch' which has recently been made invitation only presumably due to the insults aimed at members and the owners here, that and the fact that the language used there would have made a sqaddie blush.

We are not talking about a guy who is a bit of a nuisance, a scallywag or whatever we are talking about someone who persistently continues to insult people here on other blogs where we, myself included, have no way of defending ourselves as all posts to blogs are vetted by those running the blog, then when he comes here pretending to be sweet n nice it is extremely hard not to defend oneself here instead, which in turn explains why every thread turns nasty. I know you have some experience of Eddies blog Josie as I remember the comment you left there after being libelled by them, I'm surprise they actually posted that response :wink: But t makes me think you know the score here.

minitata

I'm sorry but it isn't the person who is being assessed here that intimidates or puts me off posting, it is some of the regular posters - who were also on the locked thread who always seem, to me, to go into any thread in an aggressive manner. I'd never seen anything by the other person before.

MTT

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Read my post again minitata, the reason why some people seem aggressive for no reason is they are being libelled and insulted by certain posters on another blog, if someone was calling you names on another blog how would you react when they were allowed to post here and you could not say what you really wanted to?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid said:
Read my post again minitata, the reason why some people seem aggressive for no reason is they are being libelled and insulted by certain posters on another blog, if someone was calling you names on another blog how would you react when they were allowed to post here and you could not say what you really wanted to?

Boo-hoo - he called me a name! "Miss, miss... he called me a name!"

It's a massive joke! Why the hell is anyone here worried about what is posted on another forum? I wouldn't know about ANY OF THOSE OTHER FORUMS/BLOGS if it wasn't for the people that are so upset about them posting about them here!

Some people just love a fight, and disguise it as "self defence".

MTT is right - the problem is not that posts elsewhere are made about this forum, it's that regular members on THIS forum bring the problem here.

We're gona lose this forum, and it won't be becasue someone on another site called someone here a name (who cares?!?). It'll be because people here rant and moan about it.

It is beyond childish.

Just thought I'd get my 2p's worth in here before this thread is locked...

candy1567

Here we go again, throwing dummies outta the pram and taking lollypops away, it never changes but it still ceases to amaze me how ppl still get sucked into the debate.

The problem as i see it and am sure many will correct me if i am wrong as an individual cant have an opinion now can we :lol: is that it may take just the one person to post on here who is abusive on the other blog, but this has a knock effect and starts an all out site war with other jumping in on the band wagon.

wat starts out as one person bein childish, then errupts to a handful of the site joining in and carrying on the childish rant, emotions then run high and it starts to get even more personal and so it continues with even more ppl joining in, until there is no option to lock the thread, but then it just starts again in a new thread.

But wat is goin on here, just childish insults written to gain a response and more often than not it works, and the person who starts it then sits back and watches the pattern emerge over and over again. This is not somthing new here, its been happening for aslong as i've been on the site, i can remember havin this same conversation with admin many moons ago with a member who from wat i can gather is still causing problems, who then left due to one of these memorable occasions of starting an all out war.

We are all adults (mentally wise i dont know if i am lol) and we can make our own choices whom we wish to speak to on this site, so why are some not able to have a healthy debate without it turning into a personal slanging match.

I dont have the answers but banning ppl is definately not the answer or we will have no site left!!! i want to be able to contribute but dont post that often as i am sick of the constant bickering and sniping, as in all walks of life u cant get on with everyone, the same is on here, if u dont like or take offence at wat someone has posted there are ways and means of replying without havin to resort to becoming personal

anyway thats my 2p's worth

Juliex

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

josie38 said:
Hi Ka-mon,

Josie

Josie, it's clear that you have not read my OP. I am not only talking about insults in other thread, I'm talking about members being insulted in this forum as well and have supplied a link to it. In that thread on this forum a member of this forum was insulted and nothing was done about it except to lock the thread and give that person the chance to carry on insulting again in another thread if he so wishes.

As I mentioned to Admin, what is the point of reporting anything if nothing but locking the thread is going to be done about it? We all might as well "take the law" in to our own hands and deal with such persons ourselves with the satisfaction knowing that at least he/she has been served some of his/her own medicine. Is this really what we want here, a free for all forum where insults are a daily occurrence?

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Patch said:
Sid said:

Boo-hoo - he called me a name! "Miss, miss... he called me a name!"

It's a massive joke! Why the hell is anyone here worried about what is posted on another forum? I wouldn't know about ANY OF THOSE OTHER FORUMS/BLOGS if it wasn't for the people that are so upset about them posting about them here!

Some people just love a fight, and disguise it as "self defence".

MTT is right - the problem is not that posts elsewhere are made about this forum, it's that regular members on THIS forum bring the problem here.

We're gona lose this forum, and it won't be becasue someone on another site called someone here a name (who cares?!?). It'll be because people here rant and moan about it.

It is beyond childish.

Just thought I'd get my 2p's worth in here before this thread is locked...

It's funny Patch, you of all people should post such damning comments about the regular posters here. The way I see it is that you are one of the first posters to hit the roof if someone says anything against whatever you believe in and I remember the time you got upset just because I asked you questions about your claims re how much fat you consume daily.

How would you like it Patch if someone made negative comments about your 600kal diet in the hope of reversing your diabetes, saying that it is dangerous and that you will never be able to keep to such a dangerous diet and also that no matter what you do will not reverse your diabetes?

And it's obvious that you also didn't read my OP and have no idea of what I am talking about otherwise you would not only rant about what I said about the other forum. You never mentioned anything about the insults I mentioned that is also going on in THIS forum, why is that Patch? Could it be that you agree with the insulting that is going on here?

I seem to remember that under a different regime to question the moderators was a hanging offence? Also, if I could ask the moderators (admin) to check for multiple user names among some of the posters on this thread. If the moderators (admin) would like to PM me I could supply the suspect usernames.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ka-Mon said:
How would you like it Patch if someone made negative comments about your 600kal diet in the hope of reversing your diabetes, saying that it is dangerous and that you will never be able to keep to such a dangerous diet and also that no matter what you do will not reverse your diabetes?
:lol:

Do you read any of the posts on this forum?

Ka-Mon said:
The way I see it is that you are one of the first posters to hit the roof if someone says anything against whatever you believe in and I remember the time you got upset just because I asked you questions about your claims re how much fat you consume daily.

Hit the roof? Me?

You've just done exactly what you're complaining about! The sequence of events goes like this:

1) A post is expressed with a personal view/opinion (fine)
2) A reply is made in disagreement with that view/opinion (FINE)
3) OP get's personal in response to the disagreement (not really fine...)
4) All hell breaks loose!

:twisted:

Peace, Love & yes/no black/white.

candy1567

do u know wat Ka-mon i had just started to reply to u sayin that i agrees with wat u had posted, but its not worth it

but here we go again

i for one am sick at all of the bickering so now will go back to managing my diabetes and will now go and find a support group who actually do that and support without the need of referee's and boxing gloves

Admin, mods or whoever i need to ask, delete my profile

1 down, how many to go

thanks to all those who have helped me in the past, onto pastures new, or i might just start buyin books and researching myself its so much easier and less conflict

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Patch said:
Ka-Mon said:

Do you read any of the posts on this forum?

Yes Patch, I do, the ones that interest me. :wink:

Ka-Mon said:
The way I see it is that you are one of the first posters to hit the roof if someone says anything against whatever you believe in and I remember the time you got upset just because I asked you questions about your claims re how much fat you consume daily.

Hit the roof? Me?

Nah, not you Patch, never in your life. :lol:

You've just done exactly what you're complaining about! The sequence of events goes like this:

1) A post is expressed with a personal view/opinion (fine)
2) A reply is made in disagreement with that view/opinion (FINE)
3) OP get's personal in response to the disagreement (not really fine...)
4) All hell breaks loose!

:twisted:

Peace, Love & yes/no black/white.

So why the "twisted" smilie than?

Status
Not open for further replies.