Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent stuff @becca59 , great figure and well done on getting the Libre.

Forgive me if I am prying any reason you dont want the pump. After 37 years of MDI I did not really fancy a pump and even after the first 2 months I was still not convinced. However i persevered made constant tiny adjustments and now a further 4 months later, I would not hand it back. It gives so much more control and flexibility. I have found that in conjuction with the Libre my figures are at their best ever at 48, just slightly higher than you, but that has been a 30% improvement over past 14 months
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm quite curious to the other side, why would I want a pump? I'm doing well on MDI, and a pump seems like a hassle to me. If I understood rightly you need to tell it how many carbs you'll eat and it gives you insulin according to a precalculated ratio. Seems much easier just to tell it how many units you want. I mean, I take anything from 4 to 7 units for the same food at the same time at least 4 days of the week. How would it know if it's a 4 unit day or a 7 unit day?
And then there are things like pump failure, where on MDI you always have at least your basal insulin. And apart from Omnipod you need to put the thing somewhere where it doesn't pull down your pants or pulls out the canula when pulling down your pants yourself. And what about prying cats and jumping and chewing dogs in bed when the irresistable rubbery tube is laying around somewhere?
I fail to see how a pump would benefit me at the moment, but I love that it makes other peoples life a bit easier :)

Reactions: hh1

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I need a new hobby. This morning I thought I may have a case of peripheral neuropathy, and then I remembered brushing the stinging nettles from earlier this morning in the reserve, walking the dogs. I had treated my hand with dock leaves and the pain and tingling came back after a shower. With multiple alarms going off on my MM, I'm not surprised I came to the wrong conclusion. So hence the need for a new distraction.

Reactions: WuTwo and Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need a new hobby. This morning I thought I may have a case of peripheral neuropathy, and then I remembered brushing the stinging nettles from earlier this morning in the reserve, walking the dogs. I had treated my hand with dock leaves and the pain and tingling came back after a shower. With multiple alarms going off on my MM, I'm not surprised I came to the wrong conclusion. So hence the need for a new distraction.
Not laughing at you, @ert , only with you because it so sounds like something I could do! And who knew you could be happy with nettle stings :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, busy day, boy am I lucky with my neighbours. Had a pallet of paving slabs delivered which needed shifting from the front of my house 100 yards up the lane then in through my side gate and halfway across the garden. My neighbour saw it, instantly went and got his wheelbarrow and we shifted the lot in no time (he shifted more than me).

Have been following stuff when I can; @helensaramay I can reassure you you won't miss the arrival of my puppy ;)

@Antje77, my control isn't as good as yours but it's good enough for me and I too wouldn't want a pump. I seriously admire people who have them and who have the inclination and dedication to make all the calculations and adjustments. I have no problem accepting that I have T1, I just don't want to give it that much concentration if that makes sense. I'm doing better now than I have for the past probably 20 years, and I'm fine with that.

@ert, if it's of any interest, when I went on the course for exercise and T1s I learned that aerobic exercise brings your bg down (for most people) and anaerobic exercise causes it to rise (there's a whole explanation about why that is). One of the people on the course was a pretty serious cyclist, and it was suggested that if he felt a hypo coming on whilst cycling, to cycle absolutely flat out for just a couple of minutes - so anaerobic rather than the aerobic exercise of regular cycling - as that would cause his body to release glycogen and alleviate the hypo. He tried it and it worked

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I'll explain why I like my pump (although I have shared many of your concerns).
Thanks! Very informative :)
Not trying to argue at all with your points, just thinking 'out loud' about the points you make and how they relate to the way I do it.
I must admit I've played with the thought of asking for Levemir to complement my Tresiba, basically using Tresiba as a 'basal basal' and the Levemir as a more flexible topping up but for now have decided against it as my basal seems to do the job very well lately and on very active days I adjust the timing of my food and not the amount. And I want my consultant to not think I've gone crazy too as I need her to do what I want...
DP is easily managed with an extra injection, as it happens after waking up for me and not before.
Should I need surgery, things will likely get messed up with me, I can see the benefit of a pump there. I'd have to fiddle around with corrections.
Just saying '4 units' or '7 units' still seems easier than trying to remember what pattern I want to use, especially as my cooking is horrible for anyone wanting to calculate the carbs in my meals.
If a bolus pen fails I still have basal in my system, protecting me from ridiculous bg and DKA. On a pump you can go to bed right as rain and the pump has 8 unwatched hours to mess up. That's a big one for me. I wouldn't want a pump without a device with high alarms.

I'd like to be convinced of the benefits of a pump though, as it may be useful in the future. If I change my mind I'll need all the arguments to get one :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
C700010E-0FCE-4593-B2D3-6AAE202B2082.jpeg

Reactions: WuTwo

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 well for starters I wouldn’t have got the Libre if I had gone down the pump route. And for me it has been a life changer. It is very accurate for me and I rarely test with bloods. I have never fancied learning to use a pump, though am sure I could, and am quite happy injecting. There are lots of people that really desire one and the fact I’m not fussed it just wouldn’t seem quite right. Having spent £90 a month for 2 years it is wonderful to be getting it for free.

Reactions: Marie 2

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Very informative :)
Not trying to argue at all with your points, just thinking 'out loud' about the points you make and how they relate to the way I do it.
I must admit I've played with the thought of asking for Levemir to complement my Tresiba, basically using Tresiba as a 'basal basal' and the Levemir as a more flexible topping up but for now have decided against it as my basal seems to do the job very well lately and on very active days I adjust the timing of my food and not the amount. And I want my consultant to not think I've gone crazy too as I need her to do what I want...
DP is easily managed with an extra injection, as it happens after waking up for me and not before.
Should I need surgery, things will likely get messed up with me, I can see the benefit of a pump there. I'd have to fiddle around with corrections.
Just saying '4 units' or '7 units' still seems easier than trying to remember what pattern I want to use, especially as my cooking is horrible for anyone wanting to calculate the carbs in my meals.
If a bolus pen fails I still have basal in my system, protecting me from ridiculous bg and DKA. On a pump you can go to bed right as rain and the pump has 8 unwatched hours to mess up. That's a big one for me. I wouldn't want a pump without a device with high alarms.

I'd like to be convinced of the benefits of a pump though, as it may be useful in the future. If I change my mind I'll need all the arguments to get one :)

Hi @Antje77 Thanks for taking the time to reply.. As you seem to be doing well on MDI and it is working for you great stuff.To be fair MDI was working for me generally but I was having a few issues with DP, so thats why it was recommended i go on pump.

It may sound complex but i find it soo simple and I am not tech savvy at all. Just a simple case of programming your carb ratio, I have different ratios for different times of day and away you go. Same with basal just programme your needs for differing times of day.

The great advantage of pump for me is I am going high or low I can either increase or decrease basal. With MDI one the basal is in the body it cannot be reduced. Instead of 5 injections a day its a set change every 3 days.

For me it the convenience and it is giving me better control. Its not for everyone, I get that,the tubing is a minor irritation though most of time I forget its even connected to my body

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@smc4761 well for starters I wouldn’t have got the Libre if I had gone down the pump route. And for me it has been a life changer. It is very accurate for me and I rarely test with bloods. I have never fancied learning to use a pump, though am sure I could, and am quite happy injecting. There are lots of people that really desire one and the fact I’m not fussed it just wouldn’t seem quite right. Having spent £90 a month for 2 years it is wonderful to be getting it for free.

Hi @becca59 I am the worlds least tech person and learning how to programme its is soo simple. I just checked out a few Youtube videos, there are plenty of them, followed by a half day training and that was it. Like anything new it took a few set changes to get it just right and a few months to get my bolus/basal settings just right. I am always making minor adjustments and for me that is big advantage of pump

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have started a pump debate, it’s interesting how different we all feel. But great that we are content where we are. Interestingly now I am not self funding the Libre there is an option to spend some money on the gadgets to go with it. Need a new phone first though as mine is a 5 and not compatible. Husband has been researching and is very keen. I’m thinking oh no not something else to learn and cover when swimming. But he’s right, it is the way forward. And he is wonderfully supportive.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Pump for me is a body weights class at the gym. Sorry, the reality is that I'm still scared of short-acting insulin and love-me-some long-acting. Just saying.

I accidentally went to page 1 when I clicked on this forum. And it was the same people still posting. Scary. Over 20,000 posts ago. It was a thread about who ate what for dinner.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Haha, mine had this mice catching device in the kitchen where the mouse wasn't hurt when caught. If he caught one and it was raining he felt sorry for the mouse so he would set it free in the kitchen again.

I had one of those and I built a mouse home under a log. It was scooped out and lined with moss. I accidentally disturbed it the other day and a family of mice were a little upset. I apologised.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I accidentally went to page 1 when I clicked on this forum. And it was the same people still posting. Scary. Over 20,000 posts ago. It was a thread about who ate what for dinner.
This post was an hour ago and suddenly all activity has stopped. Is everyone reading old posts and reminiscing now?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
This post was an hour ago and suddenly all activity has stopped. Is everyone reading old posts and reminiscing now?
Maybe everyone stopped posting for dinner. I'm just back from my 3rd dog walk. Gertie was going banana's.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay @Japes @becca59 @Mel dCP Thank you friends

I have emailed university again, so I am preparing for the least and most worst option and decision. If I think about all the things I did for assignments and I must admit, there was some really inspiring subjects. I aced writing up Freedom of Speech.The things I enjoyed did bring out my inner feminist (I'm surprised by the number of people who get sex and gender mixed up), my inner activist and that's the person I want to shine through but it's so weak because when I face difficulties, I self doubt. It's easy to bury my head somewhere and ignore it. Diabetes is just standing there sipping tea like whats up girl i'm ready for the drama. :hilarious: I guess I have to be that person to say "just do it!".

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to have 7 dogs for a couple of days :)
3 Of my own, the 2 regular sleep-over dogs and 2 extra's!
It's one big family, except for my old dog, 3 generations of the same family. Mona, the extra that started the family, 3 of her children (one of each of us owners), a granddaughter (mine) and a grandson (one of the regulars).

Got the phonecall 30 minutes ago, it's a 30 minute drive so they should be here any moment and pandemonium will break out :)

And yesterday I heard that the prospective owner of Naimah the foster-dog has decided she'll adopt, so foster-dog finally found her home!
7 dogs? oh my, I want to join in. :D

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weird thing is, If I was as half smart as my bf, I don't think I would have went for the sciences, maths or engineering subjects. I would still stick to the painful humanities subjects. :hilarious::hilarious: Although bioengineering, chemical engineering and marine biology all sound very interesting but the job market for those jobs is very slim.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The weird thing is, If I was as half smart as my bf, I don't think I would have went for the sciences, maths or engineering subjects. I would still stick to the painful humanities subjects. :hilarious::hilarious: Although bioengineering, chemical engineering and marine biology all sound very interesting but the job market for those jobs is very slim.

Rule no 1 Never put yourself down.