Help took wrong insulin

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help please I accidentally took my Lantus 8 units instead of my Nova Rapid 8 units. What do I do. Worried

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At what time do you usually take your lantus (and what time is it where you are?)

Reactions: Knikki

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
No personal experience here but it would appear you will have to take more carbohydrates over the next 24 hour period, keeping your blood sugars higher than normal, and contact your diabetes team.

Some more experienced members will be able to give you more specific advice based on your timings.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-overdosage.html

'Treating an overdose of long-acting insulin
If you have given too high a dose of long-acting insulin, this could affect you for up to 24 hours.

How you prevent a hypo will depend on how big the overdose was. If the overdose was large, such as a double dose, take carbohydrate to raise your sugar levels and call your health team or out-of-hours service for advice.

If the overdose was smaller, such as up to 5 units too much, take more carbohydrate than usual and aim to keep your sugar levels higher than normal over the next 24 hours to prevent a hypo occurring.

Test regularly through the day and at any time you think you may feel hypo.

Take plenty of carbohydrate before sleeping. It is better to wake up with higher sugar levels than risking a hypo overnight. Don’t risk going low. If you cannot be certain that hypos will be avoided, call your health team or out-of-hours service.'

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At what time do you usually take your lantus (and what time is it where you are?)

I usually take it at 10 and it’s 18.25 here I took it at 17.50 instead of Nova Rapder Of 8 units at that time.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No personal experience here but it would appear you will have to take more carbohydrates over the next 24 hour period, keeping your blood sugars higher than normal, and contact your diabetes team.

Some more experienced members will be able to give you more specific advice based on your timings.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-overdosage.html

'Treating an overdose of long-acting insulin
If you have given too high a dose of long-acting insulin, this could affect you for up to 24 hours.

How you prevent a hypo will depend on how big the overdose was. If the overdose was large, such as a double dose, take carbohydrate to raise your sugar levels and call your health team or out-of-hours service for advice.

If the overdose was smaller, such as up to 5 units too much, take more carbohydrate than usual and aim to keep your sugar levels higher than normal over the next 24 hours to prevent a hypo occurring.

Test regularly through the day and at any time you think you may feel hypo.

Take plenty of carbohydrate before sleeping. It is better to wake up with higher sugar levels than risking a hypo overnight. Don’t risk going low. If you cannot be certain that hypos will be avoided, call your health team or out-of-hours service.'

I will do that for sure. I can’t believe I did that.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take it at 10 and it’s 18.25 here I took it at 17.50 instead of Nova Rapder Of 8 units at that time.
Keep a close eye on your numbers , and I'd think about a nice slow acting snack before bed. Something like a slice of bread with butter and cheese to slow it down or maybe crisps. They tend to last for many hours with me, which is why I hardly ever eat them anymore.
I can’t believe I did that.
I think almost all of this did that. I did it the other way around, took my lantus dose in short acting right before bed...
It helps if you keep your pens in different places, like your long acting in the bathroom or such.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep a close eye on your numbers , and I'd think about a nice slow acting snack before bed. Something like a slice of bread with butter and cheese to slow it down or maybe crisps. They tend to last for many hours with me, which is why I hardly ever eat them anymore.

I think almost all of this did that. I did it the other way around, took my lantus dose in short acting right before bed...
It helps if you keep your pens in different places, like your long acting in the bathroom or such.

I will do that. Do I take my lantus again or not take anything until I wake up in the morning?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you normally take your Lantus at 10 am? or 10 pm? how much would you normally take?

If you take it at 10 pm normally, the decision to take it depends on what the normal dose would be.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you normally take your Lantus at 10 am? or 10 pm? how much would you normally take?

If you take it at 10 pm normally, the decision to take it depends on what the normal dose would be.

I do normally take it at 10pm as my night time one. I had my dinner at six so I accidentally took it ten minutes before that instead of my 8 units of Nova Rapid. My normal does is 8 of the Lantus

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do normally take it at 10pm as my night time one. I had my dinner at six so I accidentally took it ten minutes before that instead of my 8 units of Nova Rapid. My normal does is 8 of the Lantus
Wait, I took it you usually take your Lantus at 10 AM.
If you usually take it at 10 PM and you took it 4 hours early and your normal dose, nothing will happen! It's just the same as always, only a little earlier, just don't take it again at 10 tonight!

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait, I took it you usually take your Lantus at 10 AM.
If you usually take it at 10 PM and you took it 4 hours early and your normal dose, nothing will happen! It's just the same as always, only a little earlier, just don't take it again at 10 tonight!

Grand stuff, thank you. I was worried as I don’t normally do that. Thank you for your help xxx

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So what you've done, really, is take the same dose of Lantus as you'd usually take, but a few hours early. So don't do another dose at 10 pm, that would risk you going too low overnight, but then just do it normally tomorrow.

If you only do one dose a day I wouldn't worry too much. It'll throw you out a bit, but not massively. Just keep an eye on your blood sugars, but don't worry too much. If you do Lantus as a split dose, then just the morning dose as usual, otherwise just do the evening dose, at the time you normally would, and expect your blood sugars to be a bit higher than normal from about 6-10 pm tomorrow, because the Lantus will have run out.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you I normally take NovaRapid in the morning with 3 units then 2 units at lunch and 8 for dinner then the lantus at bed with 8 units

Reactions: Alison54321

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grand stuff, thank you. I was worried as I don’t normally do that. Thank you for your help xxx
You're welcome :)
It's what this forum is for, lots of people helped me out here when I first joined, and they still do when I have a rubbish day or when I have questions.

Reactions: Alison54321