What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox - another belated Happy Birthday. You seem to have had a wonderful time. @DCUKMod & @Goonergal - the water has subsided on the main streets but there is still a miniature lake at the bottom of our street. Scottish Water & other men in white vans returned to stand and look at it today. @ianpspurs - the cherries are the King Cherries not the bigger box. I fear I will be buying more as long as they last.
Bed 5.6 FBG 6.1. Another restless night. Ah well things will start happening this week so hopefully I'll get back in my bedroom soon.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. I'd like to say nothing but from late morning my love affair with the King Cherries commenced. I'd gone to collect the boys embroidered polo shirts from the school and also get boxers/socks from M&S hence tge second box of these cherries. Over the period late morning to late afternoon I ate about 20 of them. Amazingly they had little effect on the BGs. Must have been spreading them out.
D. Remains of the celeriac dauphinoise with another spinach and paprika chicken. I did have another creme brulee with a very crunchy top.
I have gone to bed before these cherries start calling to me again.

D

Deleted member 308541

We had a cherry tree in our back yard in the UK when I lived at home, it used to get a lot of those double stem fruits on it. My parent were to plurry lazy to prune it down to decent height so lost most of the cherries to stirling birds that used to get stuck in.

It was to dangerous to climb up any higher than I used to get up into it around 5 metres, it was a lot higher than that though.

Looking on Google Earth all the fruit trees that were there in the back yard are gone, somebody did not like apples, pears, cherries, plums, almonds apparently.

Reactions: Viv19 and Goonergal

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone made a decent approximation of M&S Crispy Bacone Strips yet. I achieved very close to them yesterday, although rather salty, and ideally too much lean. I'll have a chat with our butcher, I think.

Recently, I picked up some Prosciutto in Lidl, with a view to trying this. As my OH is away, playing golf, I chose today to experiment.

I dropped the rashers into the AF, on a grid, with an additional one above it. to prevent too much curling and so on. 4 minutes later, it was "done", but still a bit "floppy". By the time it had cooled, on a sheet of kitchen paper, it was crispy, dry (i.e., not greasy) and albeit salty, delicious. Certainly, for me the closest I have got to the M&S offering.

I'll ask the butcher how thin he can slice streaky bacon, as I expect that's the answer.

Additionally I made Greek styleee yoghurt (c1.5ltr from 2ltrs of UHT milk), plus more whey than I can practically use up, as a starter. My HM clotted cream is in the fridge, ready to be drained off this morning.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone made a decent approximation of M&S Crispy Bacone Strips yet. I achieved very close to them yesterday, although rather salty, and ideally too much lean. I'll have a chat with our butcher, I think.

Recently, I picked up some Prosciutto in Lidl, with a view to trying this. As my OH is away, playing golf, I chose today to experiment.

I dropped the rashers into the AF, on a grid, with an additional one above it. to prevent too much curling and so on. 4 minutes later, it was "done", but still a bit "floppy". By the time it had cooled, on a sheet of kitchen paper, it was crispy, dry (i.e., not greasy) and albeit salty, delicious. Certainly, for me the closest I have got to the M&S offering.

I'll ask the butcher how thin he can slice streaky bacon, as I expect that's the answer.

Additionally I made Greek styleee yoghurt (c1.5ltr from 2ltrs of UHT milk), plus more whey than I can practically use up, as a starter. My HM clotted cream is in the fridge, ready to be drained off this morning.

Yup.
Its easy!
I do them regularly, in the normal oven (that's a halogen oven) but I suspect it would be easy in any oven.
I just pop them in, and cook them for a bit longer at a slightly lower temperature, and check on them regularly.
the result is crisp all over, golden and v crunchy.

Haven't tried them in the air fryer, but I am leary of the washing up, so will probably just stick with what works.

I agree that the fattier the bacon the better, but we tend to buy the dry cured Finest stuff from Tescos, which is just thinish streaky, rather than any special thickness or butcher's own.

Mr b likes flobboly pink bacon (yuk!) so I just cook all the bacon at the same temp, and haul his out early, and leave mine in for a few minutes longer, til mine is lovely and crispy.

If mine is left to go cold, it is just like the M&S stuff, and can be refrigerated til needed.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Can I just say M&S King Cherries (black) are amazing! From Herefordshire. Best I've ever tasted. Very addictive though.

Cherries are a favourite of mine too. We have a cherry tree on the orchard. So far have not managed to be here in cherry season. So great expectations for this year. Sadly we seem to have a problem tree. Masses of fruit, but only small amount edible. Now have rotting cherries both fallen and on the tree with of course masses of flies. The tree will probably have to go. Big job as it must be thirty feet tall.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
12-08-19
Scrambled eggs and bacon tea
Lunch salad, small piece of bread, ham, cheese, tomato, and tomato chutney.
Dinner chicken and mushroom casserole. Carrots, cabbage and been beans.
People were recreating bounty bar, and mojito with Ice cream flavours, joined in with a raspberry ruffle, spoonful each of dark chocolate and coconut icecream, with another spoonful of raspberry sorbet, estimated carbs 18g. white wine with dinner and after when the snacks came out managed to stick to cheese. Tea at bedtime several tea and coffee during the day.
It's a lot more difficult with all the family here, they seem to be eating all the time.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had breakfast today - really felt the need but knowingly ate the wrong thing. I made pancakes (Scotch ones) with GDaughter yesterday - she had a few but there were a couple left this morning. Of course I had them! With some bacon and an egg (did it all in the oven so it was baked bacon and egg with reheated pancakes).

As a result I shan't be having any lunch. Haven't tested yet to see what it has done to my BG.

Dinner will be a salad made with the remaining cooked salmon from the day before yesterday - no temptations today GDaughter is with her Mum until the evening when her Dad takes over the care so Mum can do an evening shift.

BG was actually very good this morning (5.5 first thing), probably because I just had a bowl of veg soup for my evening meal but it did give me awful indigestion so I kind of filled up on Rennies. Felt much improved this morning, hence risking the pancakes. BG right now is 14.8!

mouseee

Yesterday's food although I'm embarrassed to post on here...

Started off well, bacon, egg, one slice Tesco high protein bread.

Then a bar of galaxy ripple... and a Graze bar which was tiny but high carb compared with size. I did check bg afterwards so I could pretend that it was a test... but really just 3 weeks without any chocolate and I caved. It went up but not excessively only 2 or 3 points. Now I need to make sure I don't convince myself that that's ok and start allowing myself more.

Dinner was chicken with veg. So I pulled it back at the end.

Also snacked, some LC crackers with cheese. Love love love the crackers and they take all of 2 mins to make and 10 mins to cook.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that a very hopeful little face looking wistfully up at the lovely bacon? Lol

:D Yes, doubly hopeful - she wanted some bacon, and she wanted me to stop doing boring human stuff and come and play.
Disappointed on both counts, I am afraid.

But it is OK. Puppy class this evening. so she should get enough play to tide her over for 24hrs or so. lol

B: bacon ;)
L: not needed
early D: chilli beef

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy busy day but lovely weather.