Benacol yogurt drinks.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I’ve had my doctor trying to give me statins for cholesterols for a year and having just started LCHF. I’m a bit worried that my next appointment will be all about the cholesterol. I started drinking the benecol strawberry yogurt drinks. This morning my sugars shot up above 10, after breakfast. Is there any benefits to these drinks, or should I just avoid them. I really don’t want my cholesterol to go too high. Many thanks for your thoughts.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On low carb, your cholesterol will go up for a bit, as what was stored in your liver will head to the exit via your bloodstream. So if you do go up for a while, that's a good thing, as you're getting rid of what was already there. Once your weight and blood sugars stabilize, your cholesterol will likely come down too. I know I've been off my statins for a loooong time because of LCHF, with excellent ratio's. As for the drinks, I don't know them, but if they are 4 grams of carbs per serving as the website claims, that doesn't really merit a rise up to 10. Did you have anything else to go with it, or could it be your Dawn Phenomenon's throwing a wrench in?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What was your pre meal reading and what did you eat for breakfast? What was your fasting reading?

Do you have a pre existing CVD problem that warrants taking a statin?

Reactions: Fndwheelie

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 5.6 at 5:30 this am. 6.6 at 7am when I took insulin and had breakfast, I had my normal protein yogurt and tea with cream, the only new thing was the benecol yogurt drink. 8:55 I was 10.3

The day before it didn’t raise my sugars so I’m gonna guess that DP decided to throw a spanner in the works, because I didn’t think there were too many carbs in that tiny drink. But thought I’d ask here in case I’d got it wrong.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was 5.6 at 5:30 this am. 6.6 at 7am when I took insulin and had breakfast, I had my normal protein yogurt and tea with cream, the only new thing was the benecol yogurt drink. 8:55 I was 10.3

The day before it didn’t raise my sugars so I’m gonna guess that DP decided to throw a spanner in the works, because I didn’t think there were too many carbs in that tiny drink. But thought I’d ask here in case I’d got it wrong.
Did you retest to confirm the 10?

Sometimes liver dump does indeed gum up the works.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As I’ve had my doctor trying to give me statins for cholesterols for a year and having just started LCHF. I’m a bit worried that my next appointment will be all about the cholesterol. I started drinking the benecol strawberry yogurt drinks. This morning my sugars shot up above 10, after breakfast. Is there any benefits to these drinks, or should I just avoid them. I really don’t want my cholesterol to go too high. Many thanks for your thoughts.

My son is drinking these as his cholesterol is quite high, but he doesn't have diabetes. What are the carbs in a bottle ?

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carbs are 6g per 100g and 4g per drink. I didn’t finger prick test but my libre gave multiple readings in the low 10s. I did drink one yesterday and didn’t get a huge spike, so I’m gonna put it down to DP going crazy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The carbs are 6g per 100g and 4g per drink. I didn’t finger prick test but my libre gave multiple readings in the low 10s. I did drink one yesterday and didn’t get a huge spike, so I’m gonna put it down to DP going crazy.

4g is pretty good, hopefully it was just a blip and I like yogurt drinks, especially Blueberry.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fndwheelie I also drink the same drink but asfar as I know the only two flavours with no added sugar and lowest carb are Raspberry and Peach & Apricot. I alternate weekly between those two and they have no effect on my BG but I will decide after my next lipids test whether to continue with them. Hope this helps.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just looked them up on the Benecol website and found the difference between No Added sugar versions and the others was only around 1g (3-4g approx per small bottle). So not sure now!

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think 4g of carbs could have sent me up so much higher than my normal post breakfast levels. I think I was nervous, and rushing about this morning before starting a volunteer job, my first work of any kind for over 8 years, awake early and my liver decided to kick start my day.

As to if it will help my cholesterol levels, well that’s another discussion.....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod , I generally have the unsweetened natural flavoured ones which are 2.9g carbs per little bottle. However as someone else pointed out even the sweetened flavoured ones don’t contain a huge amount of carbs.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @DCUKMod , I generally have the unsweetened natural flavoured ones which are 2.9g carbs per little bottle. However as someone else pointed out even the sweetened flavoured ones don’t contain a huge amount of carbs.
I sometimes stray outside my comfortable threads to try and help if I can and its someone who has interacted with me. However your being referred to as “someone else” is very insulting.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes stray outside my comfortable threads to try and help if I can and its someone who has interacted with me. However your being referred to as “someone else” is very insulting.
I apologise I was just cooking dinner and wrote my answer quickly. I’m sorry that was thought less of me

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your cholesterol levels?
TBH I don’t have a clue, but how they’ve been pushing statins for ages and the fact that it goes up at first on LCHF I’m not sure I really wanna know. LOL I could check back on my previous tests with my online records, I don’t understand the numbers anyway I’d have to post them here so someone could explain. A part of me wants to bargain with the docs that my next blood test for hab1c they don’t check my cholesterol levels.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TBH I don’t have a clue, but how they’ve been pushing statins for ages and the fact that it goes up at first on LCHF I’m not sure I really wanna know. LOL I could check back on my previous tests with my online records, I don’t understand the numbers anyway I’d have to post them here so someone could explain. A part of me wants to bargain with the docs that my next blood test for hab1c they don’t check my cholesterol levels.
Up to you.. if you have them we can advise but if you want to ignore then that's fine too.. just try and avoid the statins whatever...!

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

If your Libre is giving multiple unusual readings, then ideally you should do a finger prick test to confirm thesde results. Libre isn't infallible and can be thrown off.