Regular moderate exercise log

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a pack of these electrolyte powders - just electrolytes, no additives. Haven't tried them yet, but no sweetener/flavouring
Sounds good, I am going to do a few more rides with just water and monitor my blood and light head BUT if I need electrolytes I have saved your link and will give them ago.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 hours extremely Aerobic Mountain bike Ride, unfortunately not stopping to smell the roses on the way :( and only H2o in my water bottle and no light heads or nasty cramps so maybe water is the way to go to keep hydrated.

And on returning 5.6 from my pet Dracula which is what I was on waking today.

I will keep testing the H2O, watch this space.

Last edited:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
been away from this thread for a while, training is as it normally is, complete with bad hip (it's not getting better so just getting on with it) comp is 4 weeks away and I don't think I'm going to hit the qualifying total, so it may enforce a rest on me and get my hip sorted out.

Take care everyone.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
40-minute interval run with 4 x 30 sec sprints to finish the session off. I'm feeling fast.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got some decent walking done the last few days and back on track with targets again! Combination of weather and jury service really messed up my summer walking ideas with a heavy dose of lack of motivation thrown into the mix.

Today's 22.8 miles was most pleasing, as I'd been missing my immoderate distance walking at a moderate pace.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I'd revive this thread for the New Year!

Also to admit, I'm not going to hit my original, admittedly over-ambitious, walking targets for this year, but I'm not at all perturbed by this as
  • I will have done more than last year!
  • I've found my comfortable limits without damaging feet in the process - it was worth easing off for a few months whilst not giving up completely.
  • I've done more exercise in my workplace gym this year as I work with students who are timetabled to be there and they enjoy me joining in. especially as I need to do more upper body stuff as my muscles there have never really recovered from the dramatic weight loss pre-LADA diagnosis.
So, now off to see if I can do my first 20 miles + day since August...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I'd revive this thread for the New Year!

Also to admit, I'm not going to hit my original, admittedly over-ambitious, walking targets for this year, but I'm not at all perturbed by this as
  • I will have done more than last year!
  • I've found my comfortable limits without damaging feet in the process - it was worth easing off for a few months whilst not giving up completely.
  • I've done more exercise in my workplace gym this year as I work with students who are timetabled to be there and they enjoy me joining in. especially as I need to do more upper body stuff as my muscles there have never really recovered from the dramatic weight loss pre-LADA diagnosis.
So, now off to see if I can do my first 20 miles + day since August...
Suddenly saw your post on my timeline after such a long time. Hope the walk today goes well, Christmas and the lead up with all the Carol concerts etc went well for you. Happy New year and full of admiration for all your walking, dedication to your students and Church involvement.

Reactions: Japes

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Japes a timely resurrection of the thread. I’ll be joining in. Slowly at first as I’m battling Achilles tendinitis at the moment. Somewhat anxiously as I’m committed to the 32 mile Great Saunter around the perimeter of Manhattan in early May.

Editing to tag @DJC3 as she used to be a regular here too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Much sympathy with the Achilles tendonitis, @Goonergal, that was one of the reasons for me slowing up over the summer and staying slowed up during the autumn, when the other foot decided to join in with some heel pain. Both much better now, though probably will always have tendencies that way with both feet now.

21.4 miles achieved today! Had I not stopped to phone the RSPCA about a horse that seemed to be trapped down a muddy embankment I may well have managed more. I am hoping the horse has now been rescued.

mouseee

@Goonergal I have that too! So much pain when over do things. I bought kinesthetic tape in a fetching bright pink and found some on line info to strap up my calves. Made a huge difference. Went from hobbling to walking almost instantly. Not a fix but if you are doing a mad walk like that might help!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal and thanks for resurrecting the thread @Japes . ( hope that horse was ok)
I was thinking it’s high time I started logging more, so I’ll kick off with a measly 3.5 miles which included a wild and windy and up and downy dog walk but very little else.
I’m considering signing up for the DUK swim22 if I can get someone near me to do it too. I know Ill not stick it on my own. Anyone else thinking about it? I know someone on here did it last year but I’m sorry I can’t remember who.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh good, this is kicking off nicely.

@Japes thanks again for getting us going and great stuff with the walk yesterday. I’m up bright and early and about to head for the gym - at least I can lift some weights even if I can’t do my beloved walks. How did you get over the tendinitis? I was going great guns on the walking - did a 30 miler in the summer and was regularly going 15-20 miles, then a weekend in Wales doing more hills than canals and this struck. Not happy!

@mouseee good to see you here and thanks for the tape tip. I’ve yet to find any type of tape or strapping that I’m not allergic to, so have invested in a physio slanted board for the purpose of stretching calves. Do stick around on the thread - the more the merrier.

@DJC3 I need to get back swimming but not ready to commit to that, but let’s see how I get on. Won’t be raising money for DUK though, but could join in with you in spirit! I aim to get to the pool at least once before going back to work on Friday.

Reactions: DJC3

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal Over the last few months, I've been doing a mixture of gentle stretching exercises, stopping walking when feet hurt, but not stopping completely, and added some additional heel insoles from time to time which also helped the heel pain. I've never been much of a hillwalker so that gives me more incentive to stay that way! Though, the steps I had to climb yesterday at the canal tunnel were worse than any hill! I really didn't fancy the long, dark, wet tunnel and I'd been getting a bit of grief from men who were fishing - illegally I presume as they were clearly rattled by my presence. Either than or they were misogynistic enough to think women shouldn't be walking the canals alone...I was going to take some photos at the top of the steps as the view was spectacular, but they were still giving me verbal grief, so I didn't. I know where I was and I want to pick up from there another time, so will get a picture then.

I also had been sticking to the same brand of walking boots, but have one pair now of a different make to alternate with. I'm also trying to remember to wear shoes with slightly raised heels. Which is unusual for me, but it has helped as well.

@DJC3 - I also hope the horse is OK. A couple of other passers-by who know the area recognised it and assured me it was fed and looked after, which I could see as it was clearly healthy, if very muddy! But, it was clearly stuck somewhere it shouldn't have been!

Reactions: ickihun and DJC3

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and a hot bath when I get in from a walk and feet are aching, followed by an ice pack also seems to do the trick! I did lots more ice-packs earlier on in the process, but don't seem to need them other than after long walks at the moment.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last few months, I've been doing a mixture of gentle stretching exercises, stopping walking when feet hurt, but not stopping completely, and added some additional heel insoles from time to time which also helped the heel pain
Thanks. Sounds like what I’m trying to do. Perhaps I’m just being impatient.

Though, the steps I had to climb yesterday at the canal tunnel were worse than any hill! I really didn't fancy the long, dark, wet tunnel
Wouldn’t happen to be the Coseley tunnel would it? Description made me think of it.

I was going to take some photos at the top of the steps as the view was spectacular, but they were still giving me verbal grief, so I didn't. I know where I was and I want to pick up from there another time, so will get a picture then.
Hugs. Have encountered that myself.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh good, this is kicking off nicely.

@DJC3 I need to get back swimming but not ready to commit to that, but let’s see how I get on. Won’t be raising money for DUK though, but could join in with you in spirit! I aim to get to the pool at least once before going back to work on Friday.

I’m not sure what to do about the sponsorship either. There are lots of charities I’d give to before DUK but I haven’t looked at the registration form. If it’s a matter of setting up a just giving page I’ll just bung a tenner in myself and won’t share the page.
Do you have weights at home? I have a set and find that the HASfit videos on YouTube are really good. There are loads of them so you can choose what you want to do: upper body, strength, cardio etc and varying lengths. It was someone in this thread recommended them. Either way I hope the Achilles improves soon.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure what to do about the sponsorship either. There are lots of charities I’d give to before DUK but I haven’t looked at the registration form. If it’s a matter of setting up a just giving page I’ll just bung a tenner in myself and won’t share the page.
Do you have weights at home? I have a set and find that the HASfit videos on YouTube are really good. There are loads of them so you can choose what you want to do: upper body, strength, cardio etc and varying lengths. It was someone in this thread recommended them. Either way I hope the Achilles improves soon.

Thanks for the good wishes. No weights at home - would need quite a selection, I’d imagine and difficult for lower body - as you know, not a lot of space here, so the gym it is.

Speaking of which, full workout today, including taking a fitness test and body composition measurements on the gym machine. A bit too much weight has gone on over the past year so need to work on body composition as well as getting back on carnivore. At least now I have the baselines.

Did some stretches and crunches as well as all round weights. Used records from 10 months ago and was not far off in most areas, except noticeably core strength, so will need to focus there.

Then probably did a bit too much walking - close to 15k steps overall, but needed to stop and did - very frustrating!

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only