What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now Number ONE..i fully agree with.,,Good man..
information overload can be a real problem for us chaps, so like me your best avoiding the risk

But as to the over hearing...come, come Mr Bond.

surely you still have some of the old kit from back in the day..;)
..to help pick out relevant danger words.

you know the ones that strike fear and spur us into action...

"presidents been shot".."man down" or the scariest of all, an unexpected.
."Anniversary/birthday"..:***:

agentsmith.jpg

Either way good recovery .
m1257.gif

hope you both enjoy the day.:)
Thank you @jjraak - it’s the good old cocktail party effect for me - doze off but with a practiced attentive look on my face and reply on the built in list of danger words.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy anniversary @dunelm and please pass on my congratulations and best wishes to your good lady. From what I can gather in your posts she must be a very wise and patient lady with superb man management skills. A real Angel of the (frozen) North methinks but you know that dontcha!:angelic:

Thank you for your best wishes @ianpspurs. As a plain speaking Yorkshire lass as well as a retired Sergeant Major in Her Majesties Services, she has several specialities in human management and is quite resourceful.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the shake and low cal work for some people surely that must be good in terms of ultimate goal of reversing and controlling? Obviously wouldn't be the first choice for most on here but LCHF is also not a realistic option for some people either. I love your work in spreading the LCHF word but I can see how other ways suit some people better.

So can I, Ian. Since I'm trying to crunch so many numbers -- FBG, LDL, BP, and lbs.

6.5 this morning after a longer overnight fast than some other nights, and a Monday of trying to eat better.

Happy Anniversary, @dunelm. :)

@True Blue I hope the screening went well and the results were good.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just painting and listening to you tube videos (sad I know).

@jjraak this is about metformin an b12 for info. You may have see it already but I know you mentioned it a couple of posts back.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the shake and low cal work for some people surely that must be good in terms of ultimate goal of reversing and controlling? Obviously wouldn't be the first choice for most on here but LCHF is also not a realistic option for some people either. I love your work in spreading the LCHF word but I can see how other ways suit some people better.

Yes of course, I always say lchf doesn't work for all. I've learned that on this forum and others. But I've also learned that we have to reduce sugars as much as possible. People with good hba1c levels still have complications as they still have sugar causing havoc inside. The meds, metformin for example, helps take the sugar out of the blood but it's still in the body, hence the normal hba1c but complications. Low cal, well 100 cal may be sugary cals. That wont help us. Our sink is full and we have to stop the tap (sugars and starches). That's my understanding if this very complex t2d. The current treatments are treating the blood sugar but not the diabetes (too much insulin). So you think I'm watching too much Jason Fung!!! :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have I read correctly Debs...over two years a third of the test group is still in remission...if that's correct I wouldn't say it's a resounding success...DUK did not work for me too archaic...patronising nothing innovative...yet it's perceived to be the gold standard of T2 care & management...smoke & mirrors come to mind.
They class remission as under 48. And I think think about 300 took part. So if their hba1c is in the right zone all good according to them. But I'm not so sure low cal really is suitable for t2d. I feel lots of sugar could be consumed. I'm just very sceptical. And that poor woman sounded like she struggled massively through the 8 weeks of low cal shakes. But she is happy. And a positive mind helps the body I feel. Every time I go on DUK all I see is the word donate!!!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
5.5 salad last night so expected 5 2. That threw me!

I've got a little guy on each shoulder this morning. One with horns and a 2 pin fork and a dash of red in his ensemble. He seems nice. He thinks I should sit and chill. Stay on the forum, chat, laugh, discuss. Have another coffee. Relax. Take time out. Whereas this horror on my other shoulder is a right one. Nasty as!!! He thinks life is all about getting things done. He keeps waving a list of things to do in my face!!! It does seem long. And some items appear urgent as in BIG, BOLD, RED. He keeps saying 'no time to waste. I have tried flicking him off. He is clinging on like his life depended on it! He thinks this is some sort of game. Whereas the other guy. Well. He is my cuppa tea. Kinda cute too ;-) (always did fall for the wrong type, until I met Eric of course!). Who will win. Watch this space......

I might be some time!
This posting made Mrs J and myself laugh out loud. Brilliant. 20/10.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So if their hba1c is in the right zone all good according to them
At the conclusion only a third of the 100 were in remission...so initially 46% got to remission... 2 years later 76% of the 46% were still in remission so overall a third of the original study group...I agree with @jjraak (and Mark Twain) looks very much like massaging the figures to me.

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about the walk. Antibiotics seem to have finally worked last evening so now a little ambivalent about having the test on Thursday. 6 litres of water plus tea a day restricts how much walking or moving far from base I can do just now. I wanted to attend a funeral for the wife of a superb man I used to play cricket with but probably couldn't sit through the service. Please don't mention rain for a few days:angelic:

You have just hit on the reason I'm not sure about moving to the little town. I don't want to be at the mercy of other people's schedules and transportation. Here I can walk to do my shopping, when I want, where I want, for as long or short a time as I want. One positive that outweighs all the negatives of city life as well as all the positives of small-town life.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

@jjraak this is about metformin an b12 for info. You may have see it already but I know you mentioned it a couple of posts back.

Brilliant....and the very reason i want THAT on every T2D's first checks
never mentioned until i did the research for myself.
(Hate how ignorance, could see it depleted to the point it becomes unrecoverable,
is our health really so disposable..:banghead: )

Luckily i'm in range, but lower then i like, and took methylcobalamin at first,
then when i ran out bought a boots one, which i now double checked is cyanocobalamin

So as doctor Barry suggested it ..it seemed rude not to order his recommendation, so amazon,
get that drone to me, asap...:D

Thank you SO much for the kind post and thoughtful link, debs.

i knew of it, but had not seen his informative video.

You Rock.....
m1264.gif

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They class remission as under 48. And I think about 300 took part. So if their hba1c is in the right zone all good according to them. But I'm not so sure low cal really is suitable for t2d.

I feel lots of sugar could be consumed. I'm just very sceptical.

And that poor woman sounded like she struggled massively through the 8 weeks of low cal shakes.
But she is happy. And a positive mind helps the body I feel.

even murkier..how is being on the very edge remission ?
  • Normal: Below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%)
  • Prediabetes: 42 to 47 mmol/mol (6.0 to 6.4%)
  • Diabetes: 48 mmol/mol (6.5% or over)

when i sought remission my goal was always under 42 mmol

hats off to anyone that can stay the course at 800 cals.
i doubt i could for more then a day or so..so 8 weeks of it :***:

but as you say, debs
we are many on here and some choose a different route, and if it works then fair play to them.

i'm just very sceptical that anyone can stay on the diet long term (yes i know they don't ) but what do they then replace it with..?
why nor START at that choice..and build from there..it just sounds more sustainable, imo

and on the low cal sugar diet. isn't that the eatwell plate...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day today, didn't get to forum!! List a lot shorter now. But I still have a list. Gutted!

So tonight me and Eric painted,,,,and painted,,,, then painted some more. Not in our plans until plasterer said the newly rendered walls needed painting asap to protect from heat! Just home, gone 9pm. Spotted my little garden over growing at front of house. Thoughts of family coming Sunday ran in for sheers and started trimming, looking mighty fine now. The more you do the more you want to do. Bags of energy.

Skipped tea. Having a glass of red, cheese, a ryvita and a few nuts. Feet up. Fbs won't be good. It's very late to be eating. It was delish though.

Pics of house (son's) when bought , stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 3 will have pretty white stones around decking, artificial grass in 2 side bits, shower glass for fencing, and a few lights in the decking. Maybe wall lights too. It's a WIP But coming together.

Ok if my eyes stay open long enough I'm going to catch up.on thread!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-012706_Chrome_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20190327-012706_Chrome_resized.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20190710_161414_resized.jpg
    20190710_161414_resized.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190809_173054_resized.jpg
    20190809_173054_resized.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190809_173044_resized.jpg
    20190809_173044_resized.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190813_205403_resized.jpg
    20190813_205403_resized.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190813_205400_resized.jpg
    20190813_205400_resized.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 103

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Busy day today, didn't get to forum!! List a lot shorter now. But I still have a list. Gutted!

So tonight me and Eric painted,,,,and painted,,,, then painted some more. Not in our plans until plasterer said the newly rendered walls needed painting asap to protect from heat! Just home, gone 9pm. Spotted my little garden over growing at front of house. Thoughts of family coming Sunday ran in for sheers and started trimming, looking mighty fine now. The more you do the more you want to do. Bags of energy.

Skipped tea. Having a glass of red, cheese, a ryvita and a few nuts. Feet up. Fbs won't be good. It's very late to be eating. It was delish though.

Pics of house (son's) when bought , stage 1 and stage 2. Stage 3 will have pretty white stones around decking, artificial grass in 2 side bits, shower glass for fencing, and a few lights in the decking. Maybe wall lights too. It's a WIP But coming together.

Ok if my eyes stay open long enough I'm going to catch up.on thread!

amazing the difference a little bit of paint and some tlc can make.

Nice work....think you and Eric fully deserve that drink ..:D

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@True Blue just to add many years ago I had bouts of Uveitis (aka Iritis) and couldnt tolerate the usual treatment drops and was put on preservative free single use drops that I had to keep in a fridge. With eyes I kind of think you are always going to need the gentler option if that way inclined. Of course these cost a lot more for the NHS God bless them! Always hugely grateful for good treatment.
I had uveitis too, only once. That was enough! Red eye. Lit the room up when I walked in!!! Drops and cream for weeks.

Reactions: gennepher