Possibly ill?

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel well in myself but my normally well behaved bm control decided to be stubbornly high since last night. I changed my cannula and used a fresh insulin vial around lunch time. I also increased my basal rate by 15% as recommended when sick. I over corrected lot of times yet my bm drops to 13.9 before it goes back up further. I don't feel ill except now I'm a bit tried but I believe that is caused by the high sugar and possible dehydration (I'm urinating a lot). I stupidly, got keton meter but no keton test strips for it. And some test strips for a broken machine. So I can't test for thoes.

What can cause high readings that are not normal for me? That are not illness as I don't feel sick? Also I have given myself so much insulin already that is making me feel a bit apprehensive about taking further insulin. I don't want the insulin to take effect at the same time dropping me very low. Or is that just a random fear. Can anyone point to me materials to read about how to calculate insulin corrections correctly.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quite often the first indication of illness is higher than normal BG levels... I only realise that’s what’s going on with the benefit of hindsight!

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, thank you very much for the reply and wisdom. I been diabetic since 2007 and this is the first time it done this. Yes, I been lucky and been ill only few times but not enough to mess with sugar like this. Maybe I respond differently being overweight now compared to healthier me.

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@helensaramay, thank you for the reply. Yes, I know for me anything above 14 reading my correction dose jumps to 1unit of insulin to 1mmol (I think it is called), for example when bm was 18 I took 10 units of correction to bring bm down to 8. I thought 8 is the highest result I want after a correction, but that only took me down to 13 before it started to increase. Does the correction ratio change in life?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
@helensaramay, thank you for the reply. Yes, I know for me anything above 14 reading my correction dose jumps to 1unit of insulin to 1mmol (I think it is called), for example when bm was 18 I took 10 units of correction to bring bm down to 8. I thought 8 is the highest result I want after a correction, but that only took me down to 13 before it started to increase. Does the correction ratio change in life?
Hi @firdosa4 I always found this the most frustrating aspect of Type 1. When a bug went round the workplace, I might not have any symptoms, but I would sometimes get astonishingly high readings. I would give myself a shot of quick acting, sometimes 4 times in a day without eating. I always knew there would be a crash. The problem is that the Adrenaline system kicks in which artificially raises the blood sugar level. Not helpful in your shoes! I hope the invader gets the hint quickly. Good luck

firdosa4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Grant_Vicat, thank you for the reply. My bg is back down again to single digits . I'm still running a temporary basal rate of 125%. I did have hypo over night for giving myself to much correction insulin. But it was simple hypo to treat and it woke me up.

I might have over worried as I'm monitoring my sugar more often and keeping it low as advice by preconception clinic. Thoes high readings were messing with my plan of lowering my hba1c to 48 from 51.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
@Grant_Vicat, thank you for the reply. My bg is back down again to single digits . I'm still running a temporary basal rate of 125%. I did have hypo over night for giving myself to much correction insulin. But it was simple hypo to treat and it woke me up.

I might have over worried as I'm monitoring my sugar more often and keeping it low as advice by preconception clinic. Thoes high readings were messing with my plan of lowering my hba1c to 48 from 51.
I would try not to worry, especially if you are hoping to conceive. It is unbelievable how much the human body fluctuates (chemistry wise) throughout the day. Good balanced readings are desirable, but spanners regularly jam the works! Good luck with your pregnancy.