Type 1 Insulin Pump

Pablo1980

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get a pump I have just been given a 6 month trial on the freestyle libre sensor and have done more tests than ever before I see people getting pumps who are perfectly controlled anyway and some who are badly controlled I say I’m not well controlled but this sensor has given me a lot more info than before and will give the doctors more to work on with me but the pump will really help me because I’m not the best at managing but if I were to get a pump I would guarantee I would do what was required such as the carb counting and so on but I’m being shut down all the time do I have any chance and how?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get a pump I have just been given a 6 month trial on the freestyle libre sensor and have done more tests than ever before I see people getting pumps who are perfectly controlled anyway and some who are badly controlled I say I’m not well controlled but this sensor has given me a lot more info than before and will give the doctors more to work on with me but the pump will really help me because I’m not the best at managing but if I were to get a pump I would guarantee I would do what was required such as the carb counting and so on but I’m being shut down all the time do I have any chance and how?
Hello, welcome!
There is a criteria that @helensaramay has listed - carb counting course is essential and is one of the requirements before getting a pump. However there are other criterias such as micro managing to get a good hba1c. I know it sounds a bit wrong, you'd think a pump is for those who are badly managing their diabetes. However I don't see this as the case because you have to show your commitment in managing it to the best of your ability. You can abuse yourself on MDI and abuse yourself on a pump - it's not a miracle kit that all you have to do is push a button. There's a lot of work involved to use it.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I has reasonable control on mdi before getting a pump. They suggested pump therapy might me suitable for me but only because I had already demonstrated carb counting, doing lots of testing and micro managing my insulin with 6 or more boluses a day. Plus recording it all.