Wholewheat pasta

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I’ve been keeping my blood sugar under control and settled into a routine with food and all seemed to be going well until yesterday. Monday we do a spagbol with wholewheat pasta and my sugars rise a bit but drop to 7 after 2 hours. Today though it was up to 13 2 hours after and just got up to visit the loo and checked it and it’s still up at 11 (8hrs). For months I haven’t had reading like this, could it be I can no longer tolerate the pasta? Medication wise I’m on sukkarto 1000mg.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, that's what it means.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@pau1200
It does look like pasta is out for you but there are alternatives.
I and my family quite like Bolognese with roasted bell peppers.

bolognese with bell Peppers.jpg

Reactions: karen8967

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pau1200
It does look like pasta is out for you but there are alternatives.
I and my family quite like Bolognese with roasted bell peppers.

View attachment 34876

That looks really nice. Any idea how long you roast the peppers for and whether you do it with or without the bolognese in? (Sorry to hijack the thread but any chance I get to add a new meal to my super limited repertoire is too good to miss)

Reactions: pau1200

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
For months I haven’t had reading like this, could it be I can no longer tolerate the pasta?

Quite likely. I managed good results for several years with low carb (<50gms), then I'm not sure what happened, but low carb wasn't enough.

I have c-peptide and insulin resistance done regularly (self funded) and it has shown that although my c-peptide is in the normal range my insulin resistance will actually go up and down.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I’ve been keeping my blood sugar under control and settled into a routine with food and all seemed to be going well until yesterday. Monday we do a spagbol with wholewheat pasta and my sugars rise a bit but drop to 7 after 2 hours. Today though it was up to 13 2 hours after and just got up to visit the loo and checked it and it’s still up at 11 (8hrs). For months I haven’t had reading like this, could it be I can no longer tolerate the pasta? Medication wise I’m on sukkarto 1000mg.

Hi @pau1200

Yep @NoCrbs4Me is spot on.

For me,( though I am unsure of the meds your taking or your needs )
A figure after eating, where you drop BACK DOWN to 7...would be worrying for me

That s IF you only rise by the maximum advised puts you at 9 at least, after every meal.

Link HERE
That I found useful about the myth that T2D's always deteriorate,

but it also indicates that it's advisable to stay below certain levels as the damage occurs above 8.

Now I've eaten badly at times and horrified myself that I'd reached over 8, but I rectify asap

I'd be having 2nd thoughts about my diet if it was happening every meal.

I'd liken the continued eating of certain foods, like a boxers punch, to be bruising us inside,
all well and good until at some point out bodies can't take anymore and throw in the towel.

(It then throes up barriers (more insulin resistance)
Which just adds to our problems.)

Which for you I think is pasta.

Good luck working it all out

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That looks really nice. Any idea how long you roast the peppers for and whether you do it with or without the bolognese in? (Sorry to hijack the thread but any chance I get to add a new meal to my super limited repertoire is too good to miss)

I normally cut the peppers in half to make a boat like shape put them on an oiled baking tray just a little oil sprinkle with a little salt put them in the oven for between twenty and thirty minutes turning them half way through while they're roasting make the bolognese sauce then when peppers done to our liking spoon the sauce into them top with cheese put them back in oven till cheese melted and then plate and serve. Don't forget to remove the seeds when prepping the peppers. :)

Oh forgot you can if you so wish roast peppers in a pan on the hob though I haven't actually done that so far.

Last edited:

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally cut the peppers in half to make a boat like shape put them on an oiled baking tray just a little oil sprinkle with a little salt put them in the oven for between twenty and thirty minutes turning them half way through while they're roasting make the bolognese sauce then when peppers done to our liking spoon the sauce into them top with cheese put them back in oven till cheese melted and then plate and serve. Don't forget to remove the seeds when prepping the peppers. :)

Oh forgot you can if you so wish roast peppers in a pan on the hob though I haven't actually done that so far.

Awesome. I’m trying this out this weekend for sure. Thanks!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Yeah, pasta's out... But there's alternatives out there. Konjac pasta, spiralised courgette, cauliflower rice... I am with @jjraak on the concern about your bloodsugars though. "back down to 7" is still relatively high. Might be time to take a closer look at your diet, could be your numbers would improve immensely and you could possibly lose the sukkarto/metformin. Up to you though. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ if interested.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

@paul1200 have you tried courgetti with your bolognaise sauce - I also thinly slice them and make a pasta free lasagna. However on the odd occasion that I have pasta I find that if I cook, run it under the cold tap and then reheat it and have a fairly small portion my BS stays at a reasonable level.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys, I started off the journey well but slipped a bit. Back to testing before and after every meal. Before meals seems to be around 5 but again after tea it peaked at 7.7 and remains there after the 2 hours. For tea was a small piece of steak with a small salad. The jump wasn’t as big as the pasta but it seems the return to 5 takes longer than 2 hours. Looks like back to a strict regime I can stop the bs jumping above 8 after eating just not sure how to improve the recovery/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pau1200

not sure it's news for a seasoned hand like you..
BUT when i started, it definitely felt like i plateaued each month

and when I've returned from holiday (usually good, but not THAT good ;))

i find it takes a little while for my bs sugars to settle down, so i run higher most mealtimes
say 6 pre to 8 post .then over a few days i drift back down to 5 to 7-ish
and that is with me being vigilant..still around 50g/60g carbs a day

But it did take some time as i say to settle.
( i think we think it should be today's foods only, but i do think the impact of other
days foods can be felt for a while)

but it did settle back in mid 5's-low 6's
after a week or so.

shezy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't eaten pasta for quite a few years. I have a spiralizer but recently bought a handheld julienne peeler which means turning courgettes into courgetti is
so quick and easy in the microwave. I've even taken it with a courgette and a tube of homemade (leftover) Bolognese sauce into work when I need to eat there. Don't eat rice either as both Iceland and Tesco sell frozen portions of cauliflower rice - again so easy!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use spiralised courgettes, sweet potato, butternut squash and just pour hot bolognaise etc on the veg raw.

Also you can buy low carb delicious black bean spaghetti , edamame pasta etc . https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...nic-gluten-free-black-bean-spaghetti-60021841 This is very acceptable

Morrisons have pea and lentil pasta which isn't as low carb but better than wheat pasta. Check the gluten free dry food shelves.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per 100g:

Carbohydrates14.3g
of which sugars5.6g

Too much for me @Ricky

liking the idea of spiralised courgette though

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Made that yesterday..Big success with me and daughter
top man indeed.

as you were..;)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@pau1200 a few years back, a study was done showing that reheated pasta didn't raise blood sugars as much as freshly cooked pasta. I've never tried it myself but you might want to give it a try, to see what happens.

Layjl1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I use a potato peeler and make thin slices of courgette, squeeze as much fluid out as possible through a clean tea towel, and then fry lightly in butter ...... tastes lovely with the bolognese sauce over the top.

Reactions: Lizzie2

Jon K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that some whole wheat pasta has a much higher carb content that egg pasta so it's worth checking the label.

Jon

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Hi all,

Cut down on the amount of pasta.