Not to eat more than three times per day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The hardest part is when you are on some kind of diet and the rest of the family eats normally. The temptation of eating carbs seems appealing. I have been a lover of baking and temptation is always there to eat. Still have to try hardier to change bad eating habits. Thankyou for your input.
I was eating low carb for most of the time I had a family to feed - they had the same basic foods I ate, I simply substituted for the higher carb foods in their diet, though they were never as high carb as some 'normal' families.
Both my offspring are tall and slender, so it didn't do them any harm.

Reactions: jjraak

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
For a T2 (which I presume you are) eating triggers an insulin response.
Most classic T2's produce way too much insulin which is less effective because of insulin resistance.
By eating lots of small meals and snacks during the day you are constantly triggering even more insulin production.
Eating once or twice a day without snacks allows the pancreas to rest and the insulin to do its job more effectively (lowering blood sugar).
If you are constantly introducing more glucose into your body by eating carbs then you are constantly triggering the pancreas to produce more and more insulin making the problem worse.
Hence its best to eat once or twice a day with minimal carbohydrate. This has multiple benefits
1. Not triggering insulin
2,. Allowing the body to burn up excess glucose for fuel
3. Over time turning the body on to burning fat for fuel (providing carb intake is low enough)
4. This leads to weight loss and more efficient functioning
5. This can assist in putting T2 into remission.

This is why I believe intermittent fasting along with ultra low carb is a major benefit for T2's.

If you eat enough fat and protein in your main meals then snacking per se should be come less attractive.. fat keeps you full and provides energy.

This is excellent!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not compulsory I guess. That depends on everyone's appetite. In case if you are prediabetic, it is important to consult a doctor and ask for a healthy diet plan so to maintain sugar level. Because a diabetic person should have to follow a proper diet in order to control sugar levels.
Unfortunately many doctors produce diet sheets which advise eating a high carb breakfast of cereal and skimmed milk - then something like baked potato or wholemeal bread sandwiches for lunch and a dinner of starchy veges - all low fat, of course, so as to maintain blood glucose in the high teens.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not compulsory I guess. That depends on everyone's appetite. In case if you are prediabetic, it is important to consult a doctor and ask for a healthy diet plan so to maintain sugar level. Because a diabetic person should have to follow a proper diet in order to control sugar levels.

Hi @RachelThorpe .

Could you define. 'proper diet' please.

As the one most of us get given from doctors at first diagnosis, doesn't seem for many to be Effective.

In fact I'd say it's contrary to helping us with regard to carbs and the effects they have on type 2... And presumably for those with pre diabetic Levels.

Last edited:

Annecordelia

Hi all, I'm new to this but have also been confused by advice from doc to eat wholemeal cereal and bread etc. I was also told that eating sugar isn't the problem. After I was diagnosed with T2 I lost a stone of the 4 I have to lose by cutting right back on carbs and increasing fat/protein. This took a month. Instead of getting any recognition for my efforts both the doc and nurse told me that was no good because I wouldn't be able to sustain it.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The hardest part is when you are on some kind of diet and the rest of the family eats normally. The temptation of eating carbs seems appealing. I have been a lover of baking and temptation is always there to eat. Still have to try hardier to change bad eating habits. Thankyou for your input.

There are some delicious low carb bakes out there! Why not try some of those? There's a;so a Baker and coffee shop in London called Yummzy, think in the East End, thay produce some lovely keto bakes, cakes sausage rolls etc. Might be worth a try if youre in London.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm new to this but have also been confused by advice from doc to eat wholemeal cereal and bread etc. I was also told that eating sugar isn't the problem. After I was diagnosed with T2 I lost a stone of the 4 I have to lose by cutting right back on carbs and increasing fat/protein. This took a month. Instead of getting any recognition for my efforts both the doc and nurse told me that was no good because I wouldn't be able to sustain it.

Typically poor advice from both doctor and nurse. So far out of date they may as well be in the last century!

Saur

There are some delicious low carb bakes out there! Why not try some of those? There's a;so a Baker and coffee shop in London called Yummzy, think in the East End, thay produce some lovely keto bakes, cakes sausage rolls etc. Might be worth a try if youre in London.
Thankyou Yummly sounds good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greenwich I think.. near the park

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks@bulkbiker. I'm at the opposite end of the country so haven't had a chance to try yet....:(

Try mail order from deliciously guilt free. Tried their stuff at Real Food Rocks. Recommend the double chocolate brownie. Lovely people too.

Reactions: Zilsniggy