Libre Reader replacement?

anna198

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys, I was looking for some advice.

A few days ago, I was walking home late in the evening, from work, when my handbag was snatched from me (the guy ran on foot and got into a car in a split second). It happened so quick!
My question pertains to medical equipment: I was enrolled onto a course to get a Freestyle Libre courtesy of the NHS. When the above incident happened, I had used it for nearly 1.5 weeks.
I still use/used my Freestyle Optium Neo glucose test kit whilst having the libre sensor on, and this is what I had in my pocket, (and not in my handbag), so when I went home naturally I reached for my Optium Neo. After getting over what had happened, it wasn't until maybe a full 24 hours later, I realised my Freestyle Libre Reader was in my handbag.

So, my question is: am I able to get a replacement reader sent to me via Abbott?
Or would I need to pay? Am I able to get reimbursement if I do end up paying out of pocket?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you report the theft to the police, does your house/contents insurance cover stuff when out of the house?
Abbott 'may' replace it free of charge if you have a police reference number, but this is pure speculation on my part and it is a very big 'may'.
In most cases if the reader is lost or damaged you would have to buy another one yourself, or see if any insurance you had covered it. For theft you'd have to ask them.

And I hope you're feeling better now - it must've been a shock.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @anna198 I would give Abbott a call, I haven't come across anyone in your circumstances before but it would be worthwhile having a conversation with them to see if they can do anything for you.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi anna you could also download the freestyle libre app to your phone tbh i find it more accurate than the proper reader .hugs for the mugging xx

Reactions: ert

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Give Abbotts a call. They earn there money off the sensors and not the readers, so it would be in their interest to give you a new reader.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However, if you started your current sensor with your reader, it cannot be read by the phone app. Strangely, if you start a sensor with the phone app, I think, the reader can read it.
Actually its the other way around, you must start with the reader if you want both reader and phone to be able to use it, if you start to with a phone, I don't believe you can then get a reader to pair with it, unless they've changed it.

I have no idea whether a different reader will be able to read your current sensor for the last few days
No, it won't unfortunately, you cannot pair anything with it after it's initial 60 min setup (new reader or phone)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I lost one in a similar incident and my clinic gave me a replacement.