It didn't fail!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried keto mug cake/bread before. It so didn't work for me. I always ended up with a tasteless brick. Today, I finally managed to make a proper one, turned it into 4 slices, one of which never made it into the airfryer for toasting, because I ate it.

That stuff tastes good!

Couldn't've done it without your help, @briped . Not to mention the emotional support after the butter exploded in my microwave. ;)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-08-13 at 11.23.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-13 at 11.23.51.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 516
Reactions: Fenn

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That stuff tastes good!

Couldn't've done it without your help, @briped . Not to mention the emotional support after the butter exploded in my microwave. ;)
So tell us the secret! (and please include the essential pieces of bripeds advice as well, and perhaps a tip for preventing exploding butter too...)
I now want rookworst on my egg too.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So tell us the secret! (and please include the essential pieces of bripeds advice as well, and perhaps a tip for preventing exploding butter too...)
I now want rookworst on my egg too.
The rookworst was my own little experiment.... It was rather good! (But then, it's rookworst. Unox, of course. ;)).

The secret: Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet later.

15 g of melted butter

22 g of almond flour

½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix.

Then add an egg and mix.

Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done.​

....And she told me after the butter fiasco, that it doesn't have to be quite melted, just soft is fine too. 20 seconds on 250 watt would've been quite sufficient. I set it to full blast for 30 seconds, haha. And blast it did! I had some as-is, but toasted the rest and put some butter on. With all the butter I had today I'm bound to feel it in my joints by the evening (my rheumatism doesn't like milkproducts), but it was worth it! And it's something I can do every now and again. :)

Reactions: 1spuds

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 , a little PS: I don't know whether making it in an Efteling mug made the taste even better, but... I made it in an Efteling mug. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 , a little PS: I don't know whether making it in an Efteling mug made the taste even better, but... I made it in an Efteling mug. :)
I don't have an Efteling mug, but I do have various mugs that make me happy. I love choosing just the right mug for my mood for my coffee and tea so I buy the best ones when I see them in thrift stores. I'm quite sure there is one that's just perfect for this experiment :)
Do you need to grease the mug?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have an Efteling mug, but I do have various mugs that make me happy. I love choosing just the right mug for my mood for my coffee and tea so I buy the best ones when I see them in thrift stores. I'm quite sure there is one that's just perfect for this experiment :)
Do you need to grease the mug?
I didn't. I just shook it a little and it came free. Stood up nice & straight, steaming that wonderfully smelling steam.

I have a lot of mugs. One with an Alice Cooper album cover (you're a fan or you're not, right? :)), one with "Where There is Tea, There is Love", and of course "Keep Calm and Carry On", which I kept reminding myself of when I was just diagnosed. Oh, and one with "Shut Up, I'm Writing". I wonder whether that's a Dutch thing or whether people all over have mugs that suit their personalities. Rather than having one in the office that is distinctly yours, I mean. :) But yeah.... I think I have about 12 Efteling mugs. Obsessive? Nah. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My grandmother was an astonishing baker, which left my mother uninterested in any form of cooking, and she only made cakes in the microwave, which she loved and I hated. I wonder if this recipe would work in the oven?

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandmother was an astonishing baker, which left my mother uninterested in any form of cooking, and she only made cakes in the microwave, which she loved and I hated. I wonder if this recipe would work in the oven?
I have no idea. But you just explained why my mom-in-law is such a horrible baker. (Her parents had a bakery.).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another stupid question: do I need to mix with a mixer to mix air in or just stir to get an even batter?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another stupid question: do I need to mix with a mixer to mix air in or just stir to get an even batter?
I just stirred it in with the same teaspoon I used for the baking powder. Said powder will take care of the fluffiness. :) (It wasn't anything like my usual bricks! :) )

mouseee

I've made these in the oven. I split the mixture and cooked in a muffin tin. Added cheese and made cheese scone type things. They worked beautifully.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The rookworst was my own little experiment.... It was rather good! (But then, it's rookworst. Unox, of course. ;)).

The secret: Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet later.

15 g of melted butter

22 g of almond flour

½ a teaspoonful of baking powder. Mix.

Then add an egg and mix.

Microwave at highest W for 90 seconds. Done.​

....And she told me after the butter fiasco, that it doesn't have to be quite melted, just soft is fine too. 20 seconds on 250 watt would've been quite sufficient. I set it to full blast for 30 seconds, haha. And blast it did! I had some as-is, but toasted the rest and put some butter on. With all the butter I had today I'm bound to feel it in my joints by the evening (my rheumatism doesn't like milkproducts), but it was worth it! And it's something I can do every now and again:).

That looks like the version I have done a few times, I added cacao powder and some stevia powder to it and made it chocolate flavoured. I liked it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If butter is a problem, you could try the odourless coconut oil...?
Wouldn't have that buttery goodness, but it would have a coconutty goodness instead ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks like the version I have done a few times, I added cacao powder and some stevia powder to it and made it chocolate flavoured. I liked it.
I think I am, after today, brave enough to give that a go, the next time I make one. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If butter is a problem, you could try the odourless coconut oil...?
Wouldn't have that buttery goodness, but it would have a coconutty goodness instead ;)
That's the plan. :) But i wanted to do it according to the proper recipe once, see whether it would finally work... I'll go from there. My husband just had a good laugh when I showed him the pic with the toasted slices covered in a thick layer of butter. I figured, if I'm going to be hurting, I'm going to make it count, haha. And he said "So you figure, I'm gonna climb a hill, might as well do the Everest instead?" *grin* But it was really, really worth it. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldi was out of almond flour and I didn't want to throw way too much money to Albert Heijn (the other supermarket), so my own mug bread will have to wait :(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi was out of almond flour and I didn't want to throw way too much money to Albert Heijn (the other supermarket), so my own mug bread will have to wait :(
I just got mine at the Jumbo... It is pricey, but one small baggy goes a long way.

Reactions: Antje77

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
@JoKalsbeek I'm only too glad to be able to help such a wonderful, helpful person like you. Ha-ha, I've been checking aliexpress for cheapo tripods so that I can do you simple cooking vids, if need be. That could even be a win-win because it would get me cooking some more, so do let me know :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
With all the butter I had today I'm bound to feel it in my joints by the evening (my rheumatism doesn't like milkproducts),
So how were you last night? Did you pay for your butter intake?