Canagliflozin and Ketones?

My diabetic nurse recently added canagliflozin (I was previously just on Metformin).

As I have health anxiety I told her I was worried about the increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis but she said it’s very rare, blah, blah.

I bought some urine testing strips because I knew my anxiety would have me imagining symptoms and I thought I could then test and when it was negative stop fretting.

On day 2 or 3 I had a very sweet taste in my mouth so decided to test for ketones. Lo and behold it was positive (matching the colour about halfway up the chart).

I’ve stopped taking the canagliflozin and am awaiting another appointment with the nurse.

Am I fretting unnecessarily?

Thanks for reading.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is not dietary advice per se but while taking a SGLT2 inhibitor a diet that is Ketogenic or very low in carbohydrates is contraindicated specifically because of the risk of DKA.

Reactions: Rose22

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you able to get blood test strips rather than dip sticks as I believe the number of keytones are important, I was stopped from taking Jardinace which I believe carries the same risks due to keytones but my dn was only concerned when keytones went to 2.5 on my meter, I used Freestyle Libre strips, at £30 for 10 strips not cheap though, there are probly alternatives?

If you eat very few carbs then keytones are ok, just not too high.

Last edited:

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetic nurse recently added canagliflozin (I was previously just on Metformin).

As I have health anxiety I told her I was worried about the increased risk of diabetic ketoacidosis but she said it’s very rare, blah, blah.

I bought some urine testing strips because I knew my anxiety would have me imagining symptoms and I thought I could then test and when it was negative stop fretting.

On day 2 or 3 I had a very sweet taste in my mouth so decided to test for ketones. Lo and behold it was positive (matching the colour about halfway up the chart).

I’ve stopped taking the canagliflozin and am awaiting another appointment with the nurse.

Am I fretting unnecessarily?

Thanks for reading.
I took jardiance a flozin too and used the urine test strips to check for ketones. I wasn’t given any or advised to do this, but after reading the warning leaflet page the nurse gave I got some in. I stopped taking it as my body couldn’t cope with weeing out so much sugar. Think do what you feel is best, and what your body is perhaps telling you. I was given a page about risks of DKA whilst on it as you will appear to have good sugar levels but become increasingly unwell as DKA happens, but can be missed in hospital as they are looking for very high blood sugars readings along with high ketones. I think that is roughly what the leaflet page said. The first 3 days I had palpations and obviously increased urination, by day 4 felt very unwell thought perhaps had urine infection, kidneys. By day 6 stopped taking it. So I think if you’re going to see an impact might be quite soon on. I only lasted a week on the med, so can’t be any more help than that sorry. I have to say I feel anxious about starting new meds too as you never know will they work, what side effects might I have. I try to go along the lines of I can stop it at any time, so feel more in control, and with some of them like Pioglitazone I refused to take it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was given a ketone meter by my db nurse because of the risks of of hypos. After researching canagflilozin I decided the risks of side affects weren't worth taking it.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I didn’t really post to get diet advice
Well if you suffer from health anxiety I would have thought that reducing your medications would have been a major plus.. but....
I think to be fair, the title question on the post is about a drug, so if you are anti meds then maybe don’t post reply on this particular question.
Not all type 2 can do the diet and reduce numbers enough to get off meds. I know I have tried! I think if you have eaten your way into diabetes it is far easier to eat your way out of it.
Not all type 2 are obese or been eating very high carb diets, or followed poor outdated nhs advice. Especially after being on this site and seeing all the great information about how to tackle diet and success stories.