What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I just hit the fish setting, however, having looked it up, that's allegedly 200c. The fish setting is 15 minutes,but I usually finish it when it looks ready. If in doubt, I get my trusty thermometer out.

The shelves in my AF are like very fine cooling racks, so air can always get all around anything cooking. I just did mone skin side down. What I do sometimes, to shamelessly minimise washing up, is to just scruch up a little cheap foil to creae a little pillow, that still allows air to fully circulate.

Thanks. Still waiting for my extra layer which may help.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Still waiting for my extra layer which may help.

Idon't know if @Brunneria has done crispy skin salmon in her AF.

On a total aside, yesterday's fresh batch of clotted cream was my best ever, and confirmed such by MrB. Absoluteely all the cream became "clotted". Other batches have always had some liquid to drain off

Viv19

Tea
Cwc
2 slices LC bread with emmentaler
Yoghurt with berries
Mid afternoon - really hungry so I had tea and nuts
Evening salad (lettuce, 1 tom, cucumber, small piece paprika, red onion, parsley and basil, some feta and dressing) with baked salmon on top. 1 glass white.
I’ve found a keto bread recipe that isn’t loaded with eggs. And it (at least) looks like bread! I’ll try it tomorrow since I still haven’t been organised enough to order any from Dr Almond.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In a bit of a low mood today for no real reason so I’ll keep it short.
CWC
Egg mayo on flaxseed bun. HC batons. Sf jelly
Pecan nuts
Asparagus and Brie omelette with avocado and tomato. More HC batons.
Big hugs from me hope you’re feeling brighter soon x

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over gammon steak with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with stir fried courgetti with a sprinkle of grated mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

D

Deleted member 308541

Here we go again with more delights...

Lunch yesterday: Corned silverside sandwiches plenty of he mustard on 'em.
Dinner: Mutton chops, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, water.

Just about to put a meat order in, the special page on the butchers website will update shortly so will see whats going cheaper.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all big hug to @DJC3 hope you are feeling a bit better.
Yesterday was
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: events meant it was missed but then I ended up at 4pm raiding the fridge for rollitos and cold cooked bacon which was way too close to eating dinner.
Dinner: steak, two mushrooms, 2 fried tomatoes. Then I ruined it by having two scoops of Oppo.
I gave up snacking a long time ago but sticking to small breakast, small lunch and dinner just works for me.

Viv19

I was thinking of making yoghurt in my instant pot. I think my current yoghurt maker is heating too hot, and the resulting yoghurt is too runny.
I usually buy LL lactose free milk because there’s hardly any fresh version here, and if there is it’s expensive. I was looking at the IP yoghurt making instructions. Those of you who make it in the IP, can you confirm that I can leave out the boiling step, or is there another reason to do that? I like the idea of being able to make a larger quantity at once. How much starter do you use?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea, tea, tea, co-codamol with more tea. A while later loperamide. Eventually I felt better and had some more tea. Not the best start to my birthday; not that birthdays worry me any more, in fact I'd rather not have them but I don't especially like the alternative of not having them.

Anyway, I got my corned beef out of the brine and cooked it for a couple of hours in veg stock. It is cool enough to taste so I had some with a spoonful of kimchi. I am clearly having an issue with vegetables at the moment and either even the salad that I had yesterday evening upset me, or (more likely) the pancakes that I had for breakfast yesterday. Whatever, I'm going a bit easy on the veg and definitely avoiding any carb rich products. The kimchi is fermented so it shouldn't be too bad even if the problem is veg. That will be fine for lunch.

Dinner will be some lamb tagine out of the freezer.

PS The corned beef is edible - not too bad actually, but it doesn't taste like the corned beef you can buy in packets or tins.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea, tea, tea, co-codamol with more tea. A while later loperamide. Eventually I felt better and had some more tea. Not the best start to my birthday; not that birthdays worry me any more, in fact I'd rather not have them but I don't especially like the alternative of not having them.

Anyway, I got my corned beef out of the brine and cooked it for a couple of hours in veg stock. It is cool enough to taste so I had some with a spoonful of kimchi. I am clearly having an issue with vegetables at the moment and either even the salad that I had yesterday evening upset me, or (more likely) the pancakes that I had for breakfast yesterday. Whatever, I'm going a bit easy on the veg and definitely avoiding any carb rich products. The kimchi is fermented so it shouldn't be too bad even if the problem is veg. That will be fine for lunch.

:D

Happy Birthday!!!

Viv19

PS The corned beef is edible - not too bad actually, but it doesn't taste like the corned beef you can buy in packets or tins.

Happy birthday Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday @Annb sorry you had such a rotten start to it. Hope this evening is nicer.
After feeling unaccountably glum yesterday I was up half the night with d & v so I guess the 2 things were prob connected. Thanks ever so much for all the hugs yesterday @shelley262 @Goonergal @Viv19 @PenguinMum
Couldn’t cope with coffee this morning ( always the first thing I go off when I’m under the weather) so lots of tea and water.
Lunch was a flaxseed bun with a boiled egg and celery sticks
Dinner: steak - very large but I could only eat 1/2 so saved the other half for a salad or sandwich tomorrow. Couple of Halloumi chips ( airfryer - good call @Brunneria) and green salad. Sf jelly and a couple of HC buttons since. More tea in a bit I think.

mouseee

Happy birthday @Annb

Bacon and egg for breakfast.

Celery with peanut butter for lunch.

Tried making some peanut butter cookies which I sweetened with a tbs maple syrup. i calculated the carbs still making them about 4g carbs each. They are the crumbliest things I've ever made. And gave me the treat I really wanted. So one with a cup of tea after dinner will be lovely.

Dinner was tofu special fried rice made with cauliflower rice. A fav before LC and it tasted pretty good without the real rice. Plus there's loads left for freezing.

Viv19

@DJC3 sorry to hear that you were unwell. Hope it passes quickly.
Today
Tea
Cwc
Lunch nuts. 2 slices LC bread with cheese- gouda and blue cheese. Yoghurt and berries.
Nearly dinner I was v hungry so ate 2 baby bels.
Dinner roasted chicken leg/thigh plus roasted veg. More yoghurt and berries. White wine spritzer.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy birthday @Annb - sorry you were under the weather though.
@DJC3 hugs for your D and V I did wonder if you had a virus brewing often makes me feel low - hope you’re over the worse and heading for recovery.
@PenguinMum im with you on three small meals works for me too.
I gave in to temptation today - thanks to recommendations from @Goonergal and @Debandez when they went to real food rocks festival - I made an order for a selection of low carb goodies from ‘deliciously guilt free’ an online keto bakery as they had a birthday discount of 20% and also free delivery if bought 30 quids worth so after reading they freeze for several months I went for a selection - will report back! I know @Debandez froze their choc brownies and warms then to defrost so hoping will work. I don’t snack but do do small puddings as part of my meals!
Breakfast half slice of Hilo bread toasted with bacon and egg
Lunch a few low carb hm seeded crispbreads with cheese and celery followed by small piece of choc olive oil cake with cream. Made new batch of low carb crispbreads today.
Dinner two home made organic pork burgers and green salad followed by sf jelly and cream. Coffee and couple of squares of 100% choc later.
Have a good evening all.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking of making yoghurt in my instant pot. I think my current yoghurt maker is heating too hot, and the resulting yoghurt is too runny.
I usually buy LL lactose free milk because there’s hardly any fresh version here, and if there is it’s expensive. I was looking at the IP yoghurt making instructions. Those of you who make it in the IP, can you confirm that I can leave out the boiling step, or is there another reason to do that? I like the idea of being able to make a larger quantity at once. How much starter do you use?

Provided your milk is long life/UHT, there's no need to use the boil step.

All I do is throw my starter into the inner pot (I use whey from the last batch, plus a spoon of the last batch). Then add a decent splach of the milk and mix it really well, to distribute the starter, then add the rest of the milk. Stir to ensure everything is well distributed and mixed.

Put a lid on it. It doesn't have to be the pot lid, as you're only covering it. I have a glass saute pan lid that fits pretty perfectly, and I can see what's going on (of course, it's not a spectacle).

Switch on the Yoghurt setting and give it a decent ignoring for the time of your choice. The pot automates to a 12 hours incubation, but you can easily change that.

In the morning (I always, always incubate it overnight), cool it then decice if you'll strain it for a really thick result or transfer to a storage container.

I usually strain mine, but then usually end up adding some whey back in as I munch my way through it, because it seems to continue thickening in the fridge.

Enjoy!