BG behaviour and exercise

Unicornz

How does everyone's levels behave after exercise? I really don't know if mine are normal! I've heard that BG levels can drop for up to 24 hours after exercise, but mine don't seem to drop at all??

I've been going to the gym a few times now and it seems that mine can drop quite steeply during exercise, but it doesn't influence my levels at all after exercise! The first time I went I put on a temporary lower basal on my pump and ended up with a horrible 23.1 a few hours after my workout! Stopped doing that immediately, as it seems like I need just as much insulin after exercise as I do without exercise. It was an intense workout as well, did a few bodypump sessions combined with cardio (swimming or cycling).

Does anyone else notice no difference in BG levels and insulin requirements after exercise? :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not any help because it really does make a difference for me... five to six hours later I have to watch for post exercise hypos.
The only thing I can think of is that my exercise tends not to be that intense (walks, long slow runs and bike rides)

onlytwintip

Hi,
For bike riding (couple of hours most days of the week, 4 hour rides at week ends) I will need to reduce my basal to about 20% for the duration of the exercise, then straight after the exercise do a 2U bolus as it will shoot up straight after, I also put my basal to 75% for 5-6 hours straight after exercise as I tend to be more insulin-sensitive.

I really think it varies for everybody and also the sport and intensity. It's a question of understanding what works for you I think.

Harry

Snodger

yep me too, if I do prolonged exercise (like a day's walking) then I can often get a spike of bg in the evening when I've stopped exercising.
People who get a drop in bg several hours after exercise get it because their liver has used up all its stores of sugar, so can't do its normal dribble-dribble of sugar into your blood until it has replenished those stores. You probably have a really efficient liver with extra stores, who thinks you want lots of glucose ... :)

Belzedar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
At first, I was pretty anxious about how exercise would affect my glucose levels. I considered the precautions, anticipating possible lows by having a Snickers before a gym session. I experimented with lowering my insulin dosage. I experimented with exercising before breakfast. I experimented with eating before exercising, eating after exercise.

You know what? It didn't matter. Maybe I'm in some kind of honeymoon period and my pancreas can still step up but glucose levels are largely unaffected by exercise in my case. OK, today was my first HIIT session since I was diagnosed at the start of the year. My BG was 10.1 before I started and 11.3 when I'd finished. Not ideal circumstances, but not an enormous change. Generally, my workout is forty minutes of cardio and resistence-training at a moderate/strong intensity.

I can only speculate that using a Humalog pen is working for me. I've been reading up on it and it seems that it works reliably and predictably.

Unicornz

Snodger said:
yep me too, if I do prolonged exercise (like a day's walking) then I can often get a spike of bg in the evening when I've stopped exercising.
People who get a drop in bg several hours after exercise get it because their liver has used up all its stores of sugar, so can't do its normal dribble-dribble of sugar into your blood until it has replenished those stores. You probably have a really efficient liver with extra stores, who thinks you want lots of glucose ... :)

Haha, oh the joys of an efficient liver!

Thanks for the responses guys puts my mind at ease a little :)

yipster29

Hi I've always been really cautious with exercise, and reduced insulin and ended up high!! :roll: I find high cardio like running will drop it during and very short term afterwards. Cycling / gym has very little effect, and more muscle exercise like swimming puts it up! Certainly don't get effects a long time after. As previous posts say I think we're all different and equally 'normal!' :lol: