phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting stuff I think you'll agree

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/enjoy- ... d-for-you/
Interesting, but a mixture of fact, opinion and bias (happens whenever something is controversial)
Juat one example:
From the presentation
Then, in 1992, in the Archives of Internal Medicine, the third director of the study, Dr. William Castelli, reported: “In Framingham, Mass., the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person’s serum cholesterol” [emphasis in original]… We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least, and were the most physically active.” (Arch Int Med 1992;152:1271-2)

The quotation in it's original form .
For example, in Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol. The opposite of what one saw in the 26 metabolic ward studies, the opposite of what the equations provided by Hegsted et al2 and Keys et al would predict. Only the international comparisons showed that the world could be lined up on cholesterol intake or saturated fat intake, and it would correlate with the rate of CHD.4 Of course, since these countries differed in many other ways, the possibility that some unidentified factor might explain the rate of CHD, loomed in one's thoughts. Eventually, diet intervention trials were done, and where the follow-up got out beyond 3 years, they all show the same thing. The larger the percentage fall in cholesterol, the larger the percentage fall in CHD.5
Dr Castelli has stated that he is appalled by this misquote which has been repeated as part of the inernet echo chamber. If you look him up you will find that He is actually quite vehement in his views on too much sat fat in the diet (and he's spent his life researching it). He actually suggests a vegetarian diet to reverse arteriosclerosis,
The quote comes from an editorial in which he was discusing how a study on nuts and CVD could be confounded and like so many studies not totally reflect the whole story.
Castelli gave Framingham as an example of confounding factors .It was indeed the people who ate the most calories and consequently sat fat in Framingham that were the leanest and those with lowest levels of CVD. They were also those people who were the most active! Not surprising really people with a very active lifestyle will have to eat enough calories to fuel it and will almost inevitably take in larger amounts of every element... fat, protein and carbs alike.
Eating lots of calories, lots of sat fat whilst similaneously being very overweight and not exercising may not have similar consequences!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Frami ... eart_Study

I could cite other examples from the presentation but it would take all day and no-one would want to read it :lol:
We need fat, we need some of all sorts, just not too much http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/FatFacts.pdf

minitata

I've been eating low carb and not stinting on the fat for the last 3 months; and not taking my statin. I'll get my results next Monday and will post them. If my cholesterol has gone up then I'll think again about the diet; but for the first time in years not only is my blood glucose under control; I'm also losing weight. I've lost 12 kilos in 5 months.

I think with an issue like this where you can find trials and evidence to back up both sides of the coin the best thing is to work by personal experience, or gut feeling. It has felt strange to me after 30 years of low-fat dieting to suddenly eat mayonnaise and butter and avocados; but not to eat bread and potatoes etc. It goes against the grain. My doctor is agreeable to my way of working and it is why I've had the tests done now, it's only 3 months since they were last done and I usually only get offered them once a year.

Due to stomach problems I'd spent most of the last 2 years living on porridge for breakfast and either porridge or milk pudding for an evening meal.

No wonder really my bg wasn't under good control. And a lot of my stomach problems have cleared up too.

MTT

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I have to say it's good that this thread is 'back to normal'. I'm very sorry to have, unwittingly, opened up a hornet's nest.

Anyway, I do appreciate all your opinions and the debate. Needless to say, in my naivety, I had hoped for a 'black and white' answer but it's now very clear that this is not the case.

Thank you, Sid, for maintaining I was/am a genuine poster, looking for answers

Phoenix, I will keep a look out for your results. As you can imagine, they will be of considerable interest to me.

I have been pretty well low-fat for years but still my cholestrol is raised. I had unacceptable side effects when taking a statin so, at the moment, am not taking one. Unless I can get my cholestrol down by diet, I will be trying a different statin. Would be good if I could do it with diet alone, though.

Anyway, thanks again to you all, for all your contributions here

Hi Minitata and Energize,

As someone who spent much of his professional life setting up experimental experiments I can attest to the difficulties in attempting to identify all the possible confounding factors and the analysis of the results. This is especially difficult in dietary experiments. However, I believe one of the better analyses was referenced early in this thread.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/early/2010/01/13/ajcn.2009.27725.abstract

“Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD.”

However, such analyses may not appeal as a basis of decision making and resort must then be made to personal experimentation. Over some years now my personal experimentation has brought the following results.

I eat very low carb, moderate protein and high fat – animal fats, coconut cream, double cream in coffee, olive oil, butter, walnuts, etc.

I have managed to get my HBA1c down to 5.2%, Total/HDL cholesterol ratio down to 3.5, triglycerides down to 0.7 and blood pressure down 115/75.

You will see that for an ‘old man’ of 65 I have the triglycerides of a young boy (pity about the rest of the body). My recommendation is to forget the naysayers and give yourself a year of self-experimentation.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooops! Sorry, got confused. Minitata, I'll be interested in hearing about your recent test when you get the results. Apologies, Phoenix, for putting your name by mistake! :oops:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, FishingForSouls

Certainly you've done well to get your results to that level. As you say, the final answer lies in my future results. It does sound as if there is a lot of sense in eating 'good' fats and lots of non-processed stuff. Hopefully, I'll finally get my head around a better diet, loose weight, get BGs consistently down and the cholestrol down eventually.

Thanks very much

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Energize,

Good luck with your future results, as someone who has raised cholesterol already I would seek the guidance and expertise of your HCP on future matters.

Best wishes

Nigel