Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is okay to sit on the 4.0 range
What level are you comfortable with?

That's one of those "it depends" questions.

Non-diabetics can regularly go down to the high 3s before meals, and no one thinks anything of it, but then they are not at risk of going lower and into irrational/potentially comatose hypoland.

Personally, I get some symptoms in the low 4s so I don't lose sleep as long as there is a 4 in front of the decimal point, but...

I've had periods in the past when I've lost hypo awareness due to keeping my blood sugar too low, so I really really want to minimise the number of times I go below 4 and if I start to feel I'm losing awareness I wouldn't hesitate to aim for readings in the 5s and 6s for a while.

So it really depends on the individual, and their body's reaction to hypoglycemia.

If I could sit on 4 without going hypo I wouldn't have much of an issue, but the fact is that if I sit on 4 I'm likely to go below that, and life is too short to spend it having hypos all the time. (Well, my life is, and I loathe hypos with a passion.)

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's one of those "it depends" questions.

Non-diabetics can regularly go down to the high 3s before meals, and no one thinks anything of it, but then they are not at risk of going lower and into irrational/potentially comatose hypoland.

Personally, I get some symptoms in the low 4s so I don't lose sleep as long as there is a 4 in front of the decimal point, but...

I've had periods in the past when I've lost hypo awareness due to keeping my blood sugar too low, so I really really want to minimise the number of times I go below 4 and if I start to feel I'm losing awareness I wouldn't hesitate to aim for readings in the 5s and 6s for a while.

So it really depends on the individual, and their body's reaction to hypoglycemia.

If I could sit on 4 without going hypo I wouldn't have much of an issue, but the fact is that if I sit on 4 I'm likely to go below that, and life is too short to spend it having hypos all the time. (Well, my life is, and I loathe hypos with a passion.)

I hate it all but there’s nothing that can be done and I drop on 4.0 as well

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As @EllieM says, it all depends. If I’m just noodling around at home, I’ll aim for 3.8-5mmol. If I’m working or driving, I’ll try to keep it 5-6mmol. For sleeping I aim for 5. If it stays 3.8-7mmol most of the time I’m happy. I’ll confess to getting quite cross if it hits double figures.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Up to the individual ...personally i dont go near 4 if i can at all help it.. its to close for comfort . Im a kind of 6 kinda girl . Anything below and ill nudge it up.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I think it's a different world with a CGM. If I were finger pricking all of the time, or not checking my blood sugars all of the time, or not alarmed to a Miao Miao, I'd hate the 4's. Even with a CGM, I only like 4's when I have no short-acting onboard. Then in the 4's, with a stable, flat line on the CGM, I feel energised and in my element - on top of the world.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’m happy with a five in front. I can live with a nine, double figures happen but I get uncomfortable and try to fix it ASAP.

Reactions: LooperCat

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
4 is ok with me! Unless I’ve done an injection, then I’d be a bit paranoid of going low! Otherwise, 4 is a good number to sit at for me! That said, my diabetes team always suggest I run my levels a bit higher so that I don’t lose hypo awareness. I still have symptoms so far though!! X