What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's very sad! I am lucky all my family and friends have been very supportive, yes there is some humour from my Mountain Biking, Folk Band beer drinking and Choir Cake and wine swilling friends but I can take that. I suppose we have a very active social life being retired and even when going to meals with friends they try and do the low carb meal. It must be very hard if there is little support.

Two of my friends are nurses, we were away with them in France and they really tried to ensure I fed myself properly and took my bloods on time. It became clear they struggled with what T2D is as each evening before bed my BG was 5.3 and they were genuinely concerned I would not make it through the night insisting they would give their patients some carbs before they let them sleep. Of course i ignored them and got through the night with higher BG in the morning which they found very strange. NHS still have a lot to learn.
Shocking when a DN doesnt.know about DP or indeed what healthy bs readings are. That is very disturbing. Ir took me one day.if research to discover.

Maybe, as well as the letter template we are going to be sending to our gp surgeries we could start a 'what bad advice have you been given' thread??!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting isn’t it that our so called health professional have poor knowledge about T2D - I believe that the lower limit for neuropathy is roughly 7 and that many people only look at a fasting reading. I seem to remember that @jjraak may have posted a study on this but not sure.
I know.l.my surgery actively discourages testing 'it can become obsessive'!!!

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a very interesting convo about advice to newly diagnosed T2s. I really dont understand why any Dr or Nurse would not be open to new science (well as we know its actually old science) to improve the life of their patient. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Diabetes register (like a big spreadsheet) that tracks pts from dx forwards and records their results and whether med/eatwell/LC or what combo ensued. Surely that would show what works.
@Debandez just realised I am your Dia twin, dxd the same date! @DJC3 hug for the bug glas you got a great FBG. @gennepher cant be easy with that resistance from your folks but not for the first time I admire your strength and self belief.
Great convo All. I also googled “how to reverse diabetes” and found my way here and never looked back. Thanks EVERYONE here on this thread because genuinely your friendship and support sustains me every single day. Take care.
And you PM are one amazing lady!!! One in a trillion.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My lips are sealed
t9008.gif
and so is my keyboard.
Brilliant

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its a very interesting convo about advice to newly diagnosed T2s. I really dont understand why any Dr or Nurse would not be open to new science (well as we know its actually old science) to improve the life of their patient. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Diabetes register (like a big spreadsheet) that tracks pts from dx forwards and records their results and whether med/eatwell/LC or what combo ensued. Surely that would show what works.

not sure, @PenguinMum , but wouldn't that make a great idea if they didn't already,,?

Sure one of the GP orientated guys might know.

and why we haven't had any real trials of LC /LCHF i don't know.
(ok i haven't seen any, but i suppose that doesn't mean there aren't any...anyone point the way to one..please ?)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ended up insulin dependent within a few years. Her health deteriorated. Lost her sight (peripheral only in the end), sores on her legs that would not heal. Daily visits from the community nurse, stroke, kidney problems, liver issues. Neuropathy. The list is endless. I saw her suffer.
@Debandez I can see how what happened to your amazing Mum has motivated you to reach out and help so many people through the work you are doing in your community. She would be so proud of what you are doing.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just painting. Thinking about my presentation. Think im going to start with subject of sugar. Maybe a joke to get a giggle, but jokes about white sugar are rare. Jokes about brown sugar, well, demerera!!

Back to the drawing board ;-)

h35001.gif
h35007.gif
h35016.gif
h35009.gif
Meanwhile here we sit like birds in the wilderness ...

And the horses are all fine.
g61016.gif

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting 4.2 this morning. The Crown and Castle is right next to Orford Castle and it is lovely to take the doggies on their early morning walk around the castle before breakfast.

We will spend a leisurely morning exploring Orford then lunch at the Crown and Castle before visiting Snape Maltings on our way home.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine to, she didn't stand a chance and I and my two sisters listened to the professionals and gave her all the wrong advise. I am fortunate and also am not ashamed to tell people I have T2D and how I am trying to cope with it, I hope some of my enthusiasm rubs off on friends, family and other T2D people I meet, at least enough to make them consider alternatives.

I am sure you will make a difference but unfortunately slowly.

Same with me - my dad was T2 and on insulin I also gave him the wrong advice going along with the professional viewpoint. Makes me sad to think about it now, but I doubt I could have changed his ways.
@Debandez you are so right about the choice. Lchf isn’t for everyone but if we had more GPS like Dr David Unwin who offer his patients a choice a) He can treat with meds as a chronic progressive disease. Or b) he can offer dietary advice and support about lowering carbs and not prescribe meds. Some patients do decide to take the meds even though he explains the complications and that will be on higher and higher doses and finally on insulin. That is their choice. I do wish I’d been offered that choice in the beginning.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Feeling a lot better today and on my second coffee already, waiting for granddaughters to be dropped off. Not sure what our plans are but between the 2 girls and Dennis I know it will involve a lot of mess and tidying up later.
Have a great day all and hope all goes well for your appt @ianpspurs

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke to a 2.3 at 5am 3 jelly babies later all was well at 8.2 now 5.3 have a good day everyone

Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

Confused, last night was 6.3 and this morning was 7. I suppose my liver took pity on the night of tossing and turning, when I finally got up at about 5, but I really wish it wouldn’t bother.
On the good side I made yoghurt in the instant pot over night (only 9 hours) and it looks amazing. It’s cooling now, then into the fridge to cool before straining. I made lots because I love yoghurt ice cream (a sinful habit started in Australia) and I have an ice cream maker that’s been sitting around for ages waiting to be used.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Confused, last night was 6.3 and this morning was 7. I suppose my liver took pity on the night of tossing and turning, when I finally got up at about 5, but I really wish it wouldn’t bother.
On the good side I made yoghurt in the instant pot over night (only 9 hours) and it looks amazing. It’s cooling now, then into the fridge to cool before straining. I made lots because I love yoghurt ice cream (a sinful habit started in Australia) and I have an ice cream maker that’s been sitting around for ages waiting to be used.

Morning @Viv19

I don't want to worry you, but you have contravened an important forum rule in your post.

#44.sub section (c1)

"No member may post any delicious recipe ideas, without:

a) providing adequate instruction for others to follow.

b) Providing adequate pictures showing said product.

A small taster in the post (pm for details)
And the appropriate authorities will never have to know..;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fbg 7.2 at 6am

Tummy still delicate.
I have totally gone off eating out.
Weather app promised full sun.
Out of the window promises grey sky, drizzle and winds.
Consequently I have promised myself a chill out day in bed.

upload_2019-8-15_7-30-55.gif

It’s not what I think it is in that cradle? Is it?

It will be Popeye, the cat, if I can get him in it...

upload_2019-8-15_7-32-29.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-15_7-29-35.gif
    upload_2019-8-15_7-29-35.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 90