What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a great day all and hope all goes well for your appt @ianpspurs
I second this for @ianpspurs
I hope the day goes just as you want it to.
upload_2019-8-15_7-38-48.gif

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who celebrated nation bin day yesterday.

A 9.4 for me this morning, it climbed out of the meter, shouted " got you their " , blew a raspberry and disappeared. That meter of mine is for the crusher.

Well folks today is another day at getting it right or wrong.......who cares as long as it's enjoyable. Must go mischief to plan with my other me's and my mates chaos and mayhem.

Reactions: Viv19 and karen8967

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as though it is predetermined that this is the path Type 2's have to take.
I think of how casually the diagnosis is given to some...you're diabetic here's an information leaflet...here's a course you can book on then see you in three/six months...mine was in a phone call 'come & pick up a prescription & book an appointment with your regular GP when he's back from holiday'...I thought okay nothing much to worry about there until I began my research.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. Feeling a lot better today and on my second coffee already, waiting for granddaughters to be dropped off. Not sure what our plans are but between the 2 girls and Dennis I know it will involve a lot of mess and tidying up later.
Have a great day all and hope all goes well for your appt @ianpspurs
That sounds like a fabulous day ahead DJC

Reactions: DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe it hasn't occured to them that you have to be very vigilant - maybe even a little obsessive - to beat this horrible disease and that frequent testing is vitally important.
Its usually about the cost Krystyna...we are given so many excuses for not testing but it usually comes down to the cost

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know.l.my surgery actively discourages testing 'it can become obsessive'!!!

I would like the first sentence, on diagnosis, to be “here is a blood sugar test kit”.
Second sentence, “here is some information about how to cut your carbs, move more and take charge of your diabetes”.
Third sentence, “ let’s talk about eating to your nice shiny new meter and how to keep a diary”.

Sadly, I have to self fund because my GP surgery discourage testing also. I have brought up the subject of a support group at Patients Participation Group meetings but to no avail. They are stuck in the idea that it will cost money and, like all the practices in this deprived area of the UK, are trying for regional funding (which will probably not come).

Reactions: SaskiaKC

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all, on a drizzly day interspersed with that big red ball in the sky showing itself to the locals, who come out in droves and point at it in wonder wondering "just what it is? this big red ball? the ball that gives off heat, oh how we love this big red ball of fieriness we must worship it!!" anyway I digress the meter of doom surprised me unexpectedly, it threw a 5.2 at me, full of rage it's busy terrorising the papers on my desk! Never get in the way of an angry doom bringer. I hope everyone enjoys their day and you achieve the things you wish too, I will be sat lounging petulantly filing, and marking my papers from yesterdays course, like the nations largest, sulkiest teenager only answering in words of one syllable!

Take care everyone

Reactions: SaskiaKC and Viv19

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a whole seven hours sleep last night what a rare luxury...coffee is waiting for me...woke to a 6.5

Reactions: Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope so. I go off on.my jolies 22nd..Rome 3 days then a 7 day med cruise. Out at sea. So I'm really not sure. I'm positive lots willmbe sharing links on here though
You will be fine. We did a cruise last year - buffet restaurant was great for choosing what to put on your plate.
Other restaurants on board posted menus outside so easy to decide where to dine.
Have a blast.

Viv19

Morning @Viv19

I don't want to worry you, but you have contravened an important forum rule in your post.

#44.sub section (c1)

"No member may post any delicious recipe ideas, without:

a) providing adequate instruction for others to follow.

b) Providing adequate pictures showing said product.

A small taster in the post (pm for details)
And the appropriate authorities will never have to know..;)

I’ll post pics of the ice cream when it’s made. :))

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke to a 2.3 at 5am 3 jelly babies later all was well at 8.2 now 5.3 have a good day everyone
Big hug @karen8967 - good drills with the jelly babies. I wonder - sometimes - if bs’s are a tad low in the evening - maybe something like half a Rivita or some such? Mind you, I’m not on meds so might not be as great and illuminating idea as I think.

Viv19

fbg 7.2 at 6am

Tummy still delicate.
I have totally gone off eating out.
Weather app promised full sun.
Out of the window promises grey sky, drizzle and winds.
Consequently I have promised myself a chill out day in bed.

View attachment 34959

It’s not what I think it is in that cradle? Is it?

It will be Popeye, the cat, if I can get him in it...

View attachment 34960

A mattress day can be a very good thing - with everything around you that makes life worthwhile. Cat, books, music, lots to drink and maybe some nibbles if you fancy them. Lots of pillows too - somehow two are not enough for lounging. Have a lovely day!

Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just up.
Bloods this AM...5.5

Today I've decided I've had enough of LCHF

I've heard of this new one CRHP from Denmark
that's getting rave reviews

;):D

A funny - because I have just read it/
First though on the study reported; “no S**t Sherlock”.
Wonder if any UK medicos have read it and thought - “yes but that’s only one trial so head back into sand”.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. I decided to take the plunge on the TFR VLCD, I will be starting tomorrow if it all arrives today. I know it’s gonna be 8 weeks of hell, only drinking shakes, being hungry, and probably down right miserable. But if it gets me off insulin then it’s better than 50 years of health decline. I decided on 8 weeks as my next holiday is in 10 weeks time, it’s gonna be a long 8 weeks but I’m determined, and got something to look forward to! I haven’t told my GP or diabetic nurse, because the nurse is on holiday and the docs don’t touch diabetes with a barge pole, and tbh I’ve had to do all my own research and had no help from them.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think of how casually the diagnosis is given to some...you're diabetic here's an information leaflet...here's a course you can book on then see you in three/six months...mine was in a phone call 'come & pick up a prescription & book an appointment with your regular GP when he's back from holiday'...I thought okay nothing much to worry about there until I began my research.

Yes @Bubbsie

I had, take these metformin meds and come back in a year, and we'll do another yearly blood test. And that I didn't need a testing meter because that was useless as all they (nurse) needed was the the yearly overall figure....

I knew nothing about type 2 diabetes, but I had an online friend (who I was doing an online poetry website collaboration with) who was type 1. He was in the USA, and I had talked him through all his diabetic problems (and I soon learnt a lot) and the advice he had been given about pile on the carbs and take more insulin. I would get a panicked message in the middle of the night about his many diabetic problems. He was working, he was courier for blood. I left my phone on flash alert for when I was asleep. I ended up talking with him through lots. Finally he was hospitalised where he nearly lost both feet, but they were saved eventually.

He was absolutely horrified that I was only going to be tested a year later. And because I had 'listened' to him for so long on his problems, I already knew the advice from my diabetic nurse was definitely not good advice. So I immediately bought my own meter, lancets, and testing strips. But I was floundering in the dark initially.

It is very bad what we get in U.K. as follow up after the diagnosis. Not remotely adequate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19