What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 (what!) either I am coming down with the Black Plague or I have dodgy strips cos nothing happened yesterday to cause that. Unless the excessive rainfall did it! Am off to Kent later to pick my friend up from hospital, they kept her in an extra day. Need to be back for next Monday but may go back for a few days if required.
@gennepher sorry you are not good and a day of cosiness with Popeye sounds a great idea. @DJC3 glad you are better and enjoy your day with the littlies and Dennis. @karen8967 hug for the low, take care, you and @Cumberland having a lot of them. @dunelm I’m with you re meters. If I was PM (the other one) I would make it mandatory to offer a meter on dx. I would like a surgery to publish the cost of all D med in a year and compare to cost of strips. That would be interesting. I bet the meters would be supplied free in that scenario. @ianpspurs best wishes for today.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. I do try to catch up with every post each morning on this vibrant thread but as an international jet setter and Bon vivant I only have a small window of opportunity before I need to catch up with I Love Lucy, Dixon of Dock Green and Six Five Special.

The wonder wheel of a very simple and enjoyable chicken dish and a bed of sautéed spring greens heralded a young and freshly shaved 4.9 at 0700.

Mrs Miggins is hearding a bunch of the smaller nephews and nieces over to the little house on the prarie today so I will be unsupervised until she returns on Saturday afternoon. Already got checked the tyre pressures on my bike in anticipation.

Have a great day if you can. Thinking about @ianpspurs today but the bag of hugs is always open for anyone to dip into.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
h35001.gif
h35007.gif
h35016.gif
h35009.gif
Meanwhile here we sit like birds in the wilderness ...

And the horses are all fine.
g61016.gif
Love it..made me happy after my meter threw a lemon at me!

Reactions: Viv19

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this morning. I decided to take the plunge on the TFR VLCD, I will be starting tomorrow if it all arrives today. I know it’s gonna be 8 weeks of hell, only drinking shakes, being hungry, and probably down right miserable. But if it gets me off insulin then it’s better than 50 years of health decline. I decided on 8 weeks as my next holiday is in 10 weeks time, it’s gonna be a long 8 weeks but I’m determined, and got something to look forward to! I haven’t told my GP or diabetic nurse, because the nurse is on holiday and the docs don’t touch diabetes with a barge pole, and tbh I’ve had to do all my own research and had no help from them.

Well you KNOW we are here for YOU, right.

So while I think anyone on insulin SHOULD be discussing any dietary changes..(and that's extreme, in my eyes)..
PLEASE do take adequate protection and monitoring of your health.

I'd go so far as to post up your own thread where those who DO take insulin can offer far better advice then I can.

But that said.
I think we are all here to cheer you on, give you a pat on the back when it's going well and deffo there for a whinge or a whine when somedays it gets too hard.

Take care, my friend.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. I decided to take the plunge on the TFR VLCD, I will be starting tomorrow if it all arrives today. I know it’s gonna be 8 weeks of hell, only drinking shakes, being hungry, and probably down right miserable. But if it gets me off insulin then it’s better than 50 years of health decline. I decided on 8 weeks as my next holiday is in 10 weeks time, it’s gonna be a long 8 weeks but I’m determined, and got something to look forward to! I haven’t told my GP or diabetic nurse, because the nurse is on holiday and the docs don’t touch diabetes with a barge pole, and tbh I’ve had to do all my own research and had no help from them.

All the best with that @Fndwheelie - I did similar a couple of years ago but detest the idea of shakes so made my own menu. The life saver if you like was beef bone broth which I still make in a pressure cooker.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A mattress day can be a very good thing - with everything around you that makes life worthwhile. Cat, books, music, lots to drink and maybe some nibbles if you fancy them. Lots of pillows too - somehow two are not enough for lounging. Have a lovely day!
Definitely @Viv19
I have about 15 pillows and cushions all around me...
Now all I need is to train cat Popeye to bring cups of coffee to me all day long...

upload_2019-8-15_8-35-15.gif
upload_2019-8-15_8-35-19.gif
upload_2019-8-15_8-35-22.gif

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You will be fine. We did a cruise last year - buffet restaurant was great for choosing what to put on your plate.
Other restaurants on board posted menus outside so easy to decide where to dine.
Have a blast.
I did one 2 years ago, my first. Loved it. I know I will be able to make great choices. The options available are incredible. Not opted for all inclusive as we wont be drinking a lot. But all food included and soft drinks, tea and coffee also. Really looking forward to it.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak thanks for that. I’ve got my libre so I can monitor my sugar levels very closely. I appreciate the idea of making a thread for advice, but don’t want to fall foul of the forum rules re giving dosing advice for medication. I have found some medical guidelines for insulin doses on VLCD it’s Australian, couldn’t find any NHS but it gave me some ideas. I will cut down my insulin as soon as I start, and I’m quite happy to let my numbers drift back up a bit to 7-10 area for the start of this diet. As it’s better to run slightly high in the short term, than to be adding hypo treatment (carbs and cals).

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like the first sentence, on diagnosis, to be “here is a blood sugar test kit”.
Second sentence, “here is some information about how to cut your carbs, move more and take charge of your diabetes”.
Third sentence, “ let’s talk about eating to your nice shiny new meter and how to keep a diary”.

Sadly, I have to self fund because my GP surgery discourage testing also. I have brought up the subject of a support group at Patients Participation Group meetings but to no avail. They are stuck in the idea that it will cost money and, like all the practices in this deprived area of the UK, are trying for regional funding (which will probably not come).

Sad isnt it, the solution to their money problems is right before their eyes. I self fund too. Fortunately I can manage to although I would prefer not to. At the beginning it cost £30 a month but enabled me to get a good handle on it. I'm waiting for my libre sensor now. Should be here today but probably wait to put it on so I can give demo in my presentation in Sept because I will be reiterating just how important testing is! Obviously libre just one option, a small testing kit a much cheaper option for NHS to fund. But it will show how testing really works. I really should give the demo starting by testing in front of them and eating a slice of wholemeal bread. Then test after but as I've only got 10 mins it would be pointless, but a great excuse to enjoy a forbidden food!!! Hope they dont get my speech before hand, I will be banned!!! I'm such a rebel!

Reactions: Viv19

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you should ask them where they think the sugar is hidden Debs...fruit (bananas over 30gms)...certain veggies...the list goes on & on
I will be covering this in the bit where I say 'I didnt know what a carb was or how it works in the body' it will be in the 'testing is imperative' section! I've only got about a 10 minute slot and it has to include the work I'm doing with ppg too.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez or use your libre sometime between now and your presentation, have a good week of low carbs, then have 3 slices of toast for breakfast or something, show the comparison between daily graphs for the next couple of days at just how much it affected your glucose levels and for how long. (I noticed even a day or so after carbs my reading were a bit wild dropping and liver dumping over compensating.)

Edit: after posting this I thought it sucks that you have to self harm to show them the harm they are doing to their patients.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it hasn't occured to them that you have to be very vigilant - maybe even a little obsessive - to beat this horrible disease and that frequent testing is vitally important.
It boils down to money. But false economy. As we all know testing is the only way to get to know what works for us, we are all different so one size doesn't fit all. Unfortunately, how good would it be if it did.

Viv19

Good luck Fbdwheelie. Hope it’s not too hard and that it works for you.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..... I really should give the demo starting by testing in front of them and eating a slice of wholemeal bread. Then test after

I wonder.
Will they only be as a group for 10 minutes in total, or will others be taking a part and leading the group as well.?

Most meeting I have attended, a few always turn up early.

Mighty be a nice Ice breaker, to do that first test BEFORE with those one or twos in attendance.
Then perform the same test at end.

The bugbear is what to eat that demonstrated the effect best, in that limited time frame that isn't something they might just dismiss and go
" yeah, but it's cola and we know to avoid that "
Or something like that.....mmhh?

Thinking hats on, me thinks.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder.
Well they only be as a group fur 10 minutes in total, or will others be taking s part and leading the group as well.?

Most meeting I have attended, a few always turn up early.

Mighty be a nice I've breaker, to do that first test BEFORE with those one or twos in attendance.
Then perform the same test at end.

The bugbear is what to eat that demonstrated the effect best, in that limited time frame that isn't something they might just dismiss and go " yea but it's cola and we know to avoid that "
Or something like that.mmhh?

Thinking hats on, me thinks.

Just dashing out. Got a meeting with BIL and learning disability team. Fingers crossed he gets the support he needs. But will catch up.on this later. Some great ideas. There will be 100 there so a good audience. Big agenda of which I'm just a small part.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a small testing kit a much cheaper option for NHS to fund.
I have my meter & testing strips issued on prescription...I self funded for the first year realised how valuable it was for T2 management...discussed it with GP who pointed to my local CCG who didn't allow that...I read the NICE guidelines & devoured the minutes of my CCG's meeting where they discussed this issue...managed to take them apart then challenged their refusal to allow GP's to prescribe testing strips on prescription...it was successful so it can be done.

Viv19

Yes @Bubbsie

I had, take these metformin meds and come back in a year, and we'll do another yearly blood test. And that I didn't need a testing meter because that was useless as all they (nurse) needed was the the yearly overall figure....

I knew nothing about type 2 diabetes, but I had an online friend (who I was doing an online poetry website collaboration with) who was type 1. He was in the USA, and I had talked him through all his diabetic problems (and I soon learnt a lot) and the advice he had been given about pile on the carbs and take more insulin. I would get a panicked message in the middle of the night about his many diabetic problems. He was working, he was courier for blood. I left my phone on flash alert for when I was asleep. I ended up talking with him through lots. Finally he was hospitalised where he nearly lost both feet, but they were saved eventually.

He was absolutely horrified that I was only going to be tested a year later. And because I had 'listened' to him for so long on his problems, I already knew the advice from my diabetic nurse was definitely not good advice. So I immediately bought my own meter, lancets, and testing strips. But I was floundering in the dark initially.

It is very bad what we get in U.K. as follow up after the diagnosis. Not remotely adequate.

Good heavens gennepher. That was an eye opener for you. I hope he’s doing better now.
My gp didn’t think I needed to keep testing regularly after the initial few weeks to see how it goes. It seems to be a widespread attitude- which we will just have to prove wrong!!

Reactions: dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have my meter & testing strips issued on prescription...I self funded for the first year realised how valuable it was for T2 management...discussed it with GP who pointed to my local CCG who didn't allow that...I read the NICE guidelines & devoured the minutes of my CCG's meeting where they discussed this issue...managed to take them apart then challenged their refusal to allow GP's to prescribe testing strips on prescription...it was successful so it can be done.

interesting bubbsie
do they now prescribe as a matter of course the meters, or do you think others get refused and have to go the route you did.

(am aware you may not know the answer, just asking )

Last edited: