What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Viv19

Morning All. 6.7 (what!) either I am coming down with the Black Plague or I have dodgy strips cos nothing happened yesterday to cause that. Unless the excessive rainfall did it! Am off to Kent later to pick my friend up from hospital, they kept her in an extra day. Need to be back for next Monday but may go back for a few days if required.
@gennepher sorry you are not good and a day of cosiness with Popeye sounds a great idea. @DJC3 glad you are better and enjoy your day with the littlies and Dennis. @karen8967 hug for the low, take care, you and @Cumberland having a lot of them. @dunelm I’m with you re meters. If I was PM (the other one) I would make it mandatory to offer a meter on dx. I would like a surgery to publish the cost of all D med in a year and compare to cost of strips. That would be interesting. I bet the meters would be supplied free in that scenario. @ianpspurs best wishes for today.
Have a great day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

@PenguinMum. The trouble is that medical care seems to be a case of of trying to solve existing conditions and not preventing the ones that are obviously round the corner. Our insurance will pay to cure our illnesses but not to prevent them. We’re still waiting to see whether they are going to pay for my testing strips and lancettes.

Viv19

I wonder.
Will they only be as a group for 10 minutes in total, or will others be taking a part and leading the group as well.?

Most meeting I have attended, a few always turn up early.

Mighty be a nice Ice breaker, to do that first test BEFORE with those one or twos in attendance.
Then perform the same test at end.

The bugbear is what to eat that demonstrated the effect best, in that limited time frame that isn't something they might just dismiss and go
" yeah, but it's cola and we know to avoid that "
Or something like that.....mmhh?

Thinking hats on, me thinks.

Banana or apple? Both ‘healthy’ snacks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder.
Will they only be as a group for 10 minutes in total, or will others be taking a part and leading the group as well.?

Most meeting I have attended, a few always turn up early.

Mighty be a nice Ice breaker, to do that first test BEFORE with those one or twos in attendance.
Then perform the same test at end.

The bugbear is what to eat that demonstrated the effect best, in that limited time frame that isn't something they might just dismiss and go
" yeah, but it's cola and we know to avoid that "
Or something like that.....mmhh?

Thinking hats on, me thinks.

I can have 3 slides. Going to include one that show stats for diabetes but need the hardest hitting one of anyone can help.

First one will.be me before and after as I think that will get their attention before I recap my journey.

3rd one I'm not sure, again if anyone has ideas please throw in the pot. Really appreciate any help to get our plight over. It's a fab networking opportunity!!! @Rachox is an ex nurse so might be able to guide us re stats on hba1cs,reversal figures nationally. She is also a mine of info. And when I get chance after I could tweet the question. I've followed as many Drs and HCPs as poss and many have followed me back so you never know your luck. Have to dash

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
interesting debs.
do they now prescribe as a matter of course the meters, or do you think others get refused and have to go the route you did.

(am aware you may not know the answer, just asking )
Mostly the meters are given to the surgeries without cost by the manufacturers...the suppliers make their profits on the testing strips so when you see the offer of a free meter (wherever it may be) you need to check the cost of the strips used with it...no meters are not generally prescribed as a matter of course to T2's non-dependent on hypo causing medication or solely diet & exercise...there is the occasional forward thinking practice that may but those are few & far between...I have supplied a few letters to others that wanted to challenge their own CCG's this was an issue that caused great friction on another forum for some unknown reason!

Reactions: Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad isnt it, the solution to their money problems is right before their eyes. I self fund too. Fortunately I can manage to although I would prefer not to. At the beginning it cost £30 a month but enabled me to get a good handle on it. I'm waiting for my libre sensor now. Should be here today but probably wait to put it on so I can give demo in my presentation in Sept because I will be reiterating just how important testing is! Obviously libre just one option, a small testing kit a much cheaper option for NHS to fund. But it will show how testing really works. I really should give the demo starting by testing in front of them and eating a slice of wholemeal bread. Then test after but as I've only got 10 mins it would be pointless, but a great excuse to enjoy a forbidden food!!! Hope they dont get my speech before hand, I will be banned!!! I'm such a rebel!

Good luck with the Libra - hot tip. Download the app to your phone. Then, activate the sensor first with the device and then with your phone. I only use my device for activating the sensor (it logs the sensor number as a back up) and then use my phone, which also logs the sensor number (useful info in case a sensor is faulty and you need to ring them).

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez just rushing out the door too! I always compare not using a meter to safeguard my BG levels like crossing a busy road with a blindfold on! How many would be willing to try that!!

Reactions: DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mhh.

EDIT 8pm 15/8

I look at all the wonderful signatures and when i first came on board they truly inspired me,
but recently i wondered if those hosting or guiding in the GP surgeries, might benefit from more information, more easily garnered, on just how successful the LCHF. keto, Low carb, etc diets on here can be.

We always here how test data applies to other programmes & websites, But we seem to get left out as Type 2's practising a Low carb type of diet, as championed by so many on here.

Maybe it's time we stirred ourselves, created our own data bank of how successful THIS forum has been for SO many of us, and generated some facts and figures of our own to boast about..

For those wishing to take part, please do add the information requested below,
BUT do please feel free to hashtag out anything you are not comfortable sharing.
any information about how well we are doing will helpful.

Notes
Length until a return to normal readings (if applicable otherwise WiP..work in progress)
Length until a return to normal readings (if applicable otherwise WiP..work in progress)
HBA1C at DX and date
HBA1c date first entered Non diabetic range (if applicable or WiP)
Last HBA1c date..(as above if none since )

The above and format below helps us to present the post in the most suitable form,
for those replying, those curating AND those reading it.

Options on format.
suggested we add Pre-Diabetic data...
agree we all look forward to seeing improvement & that's the score we all seek first
weight was also suggested..Conscious it's high on many priorities, BUT also want to keep info concise and readable if possible. i suggest start & current weight would be sufficient.

Intention is to be for all T2D's
AI see it as useful and applicable to T2's..but i love you T1's as well.

( Not sure format would suit or if already done for T1 elsewhere.)
also the purpose is Proving that LCHF, Keto or Any other form of diet on here has benefits
for Type 2, it''s offering proof those diets work
for Type 1, insulin is already proven to work.

happy to hear from Type One's as always.or those practising any other diet.

FORMAT
# Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
# Months on LCHF
# Months to pre diabetic No's
# Months 1st normal reading
# HBA1c Diagnosis
# Pre Diabetic no's & date
# 1st normal HBA1c 7 date
# Latest HBA1c

@Debandez
dec 2017 Diagnosed ( Start weight 92kg Current 67.9kg No meds Diet only LCHF)
20 Months on LCHF
5.. Months to pre diabetic No's
11.. Months 1st normal reading
62. HBA1c Diagnosis dec 2017
41 Pre Diabetic no's may 2018
39 1st normal HBA1c nov 2018
40 Latest HBA1c

@jjraak ..
Aug 2018 Diagnosed ( Start weight 106 kg Current 84 kg . Diet & Metformin LCHF)
9 ... Months on LCHF oct 2018
3 ...Months to pre diabetic No's
11 ...Months 1st normal reading
56 ...HBA1c Diagnosis aug 2018
42 ...Pre Diabetic no's jan 2019
40 ...1st normal HBA1c july 2019
## ...Latest HBA1c as above

@Bubbsie
July 2016 Diagnosed
# #. ...Months on LCHF
# #. ...Months to pre diabetic No's
##... ...Months 1st normal reading
114......HBA1c Diagnosis july 2016
45........Pre Diabetic no's april 2018 ?
# # ....1st normal HBA1c 7 date
45 ....Latest HBA1c as above

@dunelm
Apr 2015 Diagnosed
51... Months on LCHF
##.. Months to pre diabetic No's
5..... Months 1st normal reading
85.. HBA1c Diagnosis
38.. Pre Diabetic no's apr 2017
38.. .1st normal HBA1c apr 2017
36......Latest HBA1c june 2019

@Rachox ( Start weight 115kg Current 73.6 )
May 2017 Diagnosed
##. Months on LCHF
## Months to pre diabetic No's
4.. Months 1st normal reading
70 HBA1c Diagnosis may 2017
45. Pre Diabetic no's july 2017
36. 1st normal HBA1c sept 2017
34. Latest HBA1c apr 2019

@Listlad
aug 2018 Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
6... Months on LCHF feb 2019
2.. Months to pre diabetic No's
2. Months 1st normal reading
49 HBA1c Diagnosis
36 Pre Diabetic no's apr 2019
36 1st normal HBA1c apr 2019
36 Latest HBA1c as above

@Muddy Cyclist
apr 2019 Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
4......Months on LCHF
3.. , Months to pre diabetic No's
#. . Months 1st normal reading
49. HBA1c Diagnosis
44 Pre Diabetic no's july 2019
# .. 1st normal HBA1c WiP
44 Latest HBA1c as above

@PenguinMum
dec 2017 Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
20 Months on LCHF
4.. Months to pre diabetic No's
6.. Months 1st normal reading
53 HBA1c Diagnosis dec 2017
41 Pre Diabetic no's apr 2018
36. 1st normal HBA1c june 2018
33 Latest HBA1c june 2019

Adding weight loss my also be inspiring to newbies

anyone else want to QUOTE this post and ADD theirs just beneath mine ?
then we can just pass it on and each of us can delete as we go to save cluttering thread?
And would keep all the data in one post for easy recall.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good heavens gennepher. That was an eye opener for you. I hope he’s doing better now.
My gp didn’t think I needed to keep testing regularly after the initial few weeks to see how it goes. It seems to be a widespread attitude- which we will just have to prove wrong!!

I learnt an awful lot by ‘listening’ to him @Viv19

Without that I might have gone along with NHS advice. I ‘lived’ through the many panics and crises he had. And understood a lot more than I would have done otherwise.

Yes, he is doing better now, and taking more care of himself. We all think we are taking care of ourselves, but when panic sets in the brain goes awol and we don’t always think straight, and overcompensate when trying to put it right.

So consequently, when I got diagnosed with Type 2 , I did question everything from the start. I wanted reasons why. And when I didn’t get them, or was just brushed over with conciliatory words that were no help at all because my allocated time for the short appointment was up, it wasn’t good enough for me.

It is wrong advice not to test frequently. Testing is information. But any two diabetics are not the same. Testing provides different information to each of us.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Psssst...it's me bubbsie:D:D:D

no idea WHAT you mean..@BUBBSIE...
whistle.gif

yeah, sorry i edited it...

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can have 3 slides. Going to include one that show stats for diabetes but need the hardest hitting one of anyone can help.

First one will.be me before and after as I think that will get their attention before I recap my journey.

3rd one I'm not sure, again if anyone has ideas please throw in the pot. Really appreciate any help to get our plight over. It's a fab networking opportunity!!! @Rachox is an ex nurse so might be able to guide us re stats on hba1cs,reversal figures nationally. She is also a mine of info. And when I get chance after I could tweet the question. I've followed as many Drs and HCPs as poss and many have followed me back so you never know your luck. Have to dash
@Debandez
Here’s my two penny worth.
Something I learnt in my psychology studies in 1990’s.

There is the Primacy effect where people remember words at the beginning.
Then there is the Recency effect where people remember the words or idea at the end.
The middle bit is fluff which can float away from memory (my phrase!)

Here is a Wiki link with a bit on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial-position_effect

So you need to say at the beginning (Primary effect), something you want them to remember eg the before and after photos (but that is not advice, you may have a better thing you want to say first and you may want to put that last. Or you may want to show that before and after photo at the beginning AND at the end to round off. It only needs to be shown for a second or so).
Then your middle bit which may or may not be remembered.
Then the last bit, the Recency Effect bit for your audience. For example something more hard hitting. But not too scary, as people can be frightened the opposite way to what you intended.

Just some food for thought. Hope it helps.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox is an ex nurse so might be able to guide us re stats on hba1cs,reversal figures nationally. She is also a mine of info. And when I get chance after I could tweet the question. I've followed as many Drs and HCPs as poss and many have followed me back so you never know your luck. Have to dash

Thanks for the tag @Debandez , I worked in the acute sector and believe it or not I had never heard of the HbA1c test til I was diagnosed! As it is a diagnostic test it wasn’t something that was done on acute admissions, we only routinely did a finger prick test on admission, and just to note diabetes wasn’t the speciality I worked in. So I’m sorry I have no more info than you.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to have bread in my daily diet...I used to make my own all the time however lately I've been remiss & couldn't be bothered...I intend to remedy that & start with these again...I make the mixture into burger type buns too photos of both which will have a slightly higher carb content than a slice but still much lower than traditional bread
Ingredients (make about 15 slices):
3 eggs
8 tbsp. oat bran
16 tbsp. wheat bran
10 tbsp. whey protein powder (natural, no added flavour)
5 tbsp. greek style yogurt
12g dry yeast
5 tbsp. warm water
tsp. salt
Preparation:
Line little baking form (19cm long and 8 cm wide) with baking pape
In a large bowl mix all the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into the baking form and cover with tea towel.Leave in a warm place for about 40 minutes to rise
Bake for 10 minutes at 200C and then for 15 minutes at 190C.
Let it cool down a bit before slicing
Carbohydrates and Calories:
Whole bread
1 slice (1/15 of the whole bread)
Carbohydrates
71.6g
4.7g
Calories

Adapted from a recipe @
DSC03045.JPG
DSC03057.JPG
Diabetic Good Baking

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to make these quite often & trialled them on my colleagues at our office they loved them...very similar to Bounty Bars and delicious

Ingredients (make about 25 truffles):
200 g desiccated coconut
100 ml double cream
7g Splenda
70 g butter

100 g dark chocolate must be 70% or more cocoa solids
Preparation:
In a bowl mix coconut with splenda.
In a small sauce pan heat up butter together with cream (do not bring to boil).
Pour the mixture over coconut and splenda and combine together. Refrigerate the mixure for about 30 minutes. It's much easier to form little balls when its cold.

Form little balls and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Dip each coconut ball in melted chocolate and place on a large plate or chopping board lined with baking paper. Use the toothpick for dipping and let excess of the chocolate drip back in the bowl. Refrigerate for about an hour until chocolate the set.

Calories and Carbohydrates:
Whole mixture +dark chocolate
1 truffle
Carbohydrates
56.5g
2.2g
Calories

Again from Diabetic Good Baking you can adapt (as I do) to suit your own tastes.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
EDIT 8:32pm 15/8

Thank you to @Rachox for being kind enough to allow me to add her data to the HBA1c data post

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ose-full-on-chat.163627/page-371#post-2114547

i have taken liberty of adding below.
any one else happy for me to add them or wish to add themselves ?
can see this being of much interest as @Rachox suggested to those new to the forum,
and of potential to @Debandez, @Listlad and those others in the field (i believe you do that as well rachox ? )
we always get hit with numbers, maybe it's time to fire back and show them how ours stack up ?

so for me that would be

FORMAT
# Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
# Months on LCHF
# Months to pre diabetic No's
# Months 1st normal reading
# HBA1c Diagnosis
# Pre Diabetic no's & date
# 1st normal HBA1c 7 date
# Latest HBA1c

@Debandez
dec 2017 Diagnosed ( Start weight 92kg Current 67.9kg )
20 Months on LCHF
5.. Months to pre diabetic No's
11.. Months 1st normal reading
62. HBA1c Diagnosis dec 2017
41 Pre Diabetic no's may 2018
39 1st normal HBA1c nov 2018
40 Latest HBA1c

@jjraak ..
Aug 2018 Diagnosed ( Start weight 106 kg Current 84 kg )
9 ... Months on LCHF oct 2018
3 ...Months to pre diabetic No's
11 ...Months 1st normal reading
56 ...HBA1c Diagnosis aug 2018
42 ...Pre Diabetic no's jan 2019
40 ...1st normal HBA1c july 2019
## ...Latest HBA1c as above

@Bubbsie
July 2016 Diagnosed
# #. ...Months on LCHF
# #. ...Months to pre diabetic No's
##... ...Months 1st normal reading
114......HBA1c Diagnosis july 2016
45........Pre Diabetic no's april 2018 ?
# # ....1st normal HBA1c 7 date
45 ....Latest HBA1c as above

@dunelm
Apr 2015 Diagnosed
51... Months on LCHF
##.. Months to pre diabetic No's
5..... Months 1st normal reading
85.. HBA1c Diagnosis
38.. Pre Diabetic no's apr 2017
38.. .1st normal HBA1c apr 2017
36......Latest HBA1c june 2019

@Rachox ( Start weight 115kg Current 73.6 )
May 2017 Diagnosed
##. Months on LCHF
## Months to pre diabetic No's
4.. Months 1st normal reading
70 HBA1c Diagnosis may 2017
45. Pre Diabetic no's july 2017
36. 1st normal HBA1c sept 2017
34. Latest HBA1c apr 2019

@Listlad
aug 2018 Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
6... Months on LCHF feb 2019
2.. Months to pre diabetic No's
2. Months 1st normal reading
49 HBA1c Diagnosis
36 Pre Diabetic no's apr 2019
36 1st normal HBA1c apr 2019
36 Latest HBA1c as above

@Muddy Cyclist
apr 2019 Diagnosed ( Start weight ###kg Current ###kg )
4......Months on LCHF
3.. , Months to pre diabetic No's
#. . Months 1st normal reading
49. HBA1c Diagnosis
44 Pre Diabetic no's july 2019
# .. 1st normal HBA1c WiP
44 Latest HBA1c as above

Now if only we had someone who could work out a spreadsheet for easy reference...mmmhh ;)

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big hug @karen8967 - good drills with the jelly babies. I wonder - sometimes - if bs’s are a tad low in the evening - maybe something like half a Rivita or some such? Mind you, I’m not on meds so might not be as great and illuminating idea as I think.
thanks dunelm if my bgs are 6 or under b4 bed i have a digestive biscuit which then keeps me pretty level i am so sensitive to the insulin that if i gave myself less long acting bgs go up into the teens and thats by reducing it by only half a unit and due to insulin sensitivity i have to take metformin (does nothing for my bgs but helps my insulin work more efficiently)so when i hypo my liver doesnt kick in so hypo remains till i wake up which thank god i do :)bet ye sorry you commented now ;)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time on LCHF 4 Months
Time on LCHF diet to Prediabetic Reading 3 Months
HbA1c April 2019 at Diagnosis 49
HbA1c July 2019 first pre diabetic reading 44 weight Loss 23 Kilo

Adding weight loss my also be inspiring to newbies