Bristol Airport Lanyard Scheme

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi I am flying out of Bristol airport on 30 Sept this year and was wondering if anyone has had any joy with the hidden disabilities lanyard through Bristol Airport. I have looked into it and I believe it is mainly for autism etc? I do not class my type 1 as a disability BUT if I can use it to rush thru the hoards in customs then all is good

Reactions: SueJB

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just flown to Rhodes out of Bristol. I didn't know anything about the lanyard scheme but would like to say go with plenty of time because I had to have a full bag search because of my diabetes supplies. Good luck.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks Helen, never had a problem BUT thought I may be able to hurry thru security :) :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The only time they checked my bags was when I forgot to take my Kindle out. Previous times they had been happy with it in the bag but they seem to have changed their policy.
Diabetes wise, I don't think they noticed ... apart from when I was asked to go through the body scanner.

I don't know when you last flew through Brissle but the security area has grown a lot recently so, unless you are traveling at an especially busy time, the wait is not too long.
If you are dressed smartly, they may let you through Fast Track. I hve been invited through a few times - I think they were bored.

Last September we flew from Bristol. Our flight is at quarter to 4 in the afternoon. Birmingham 2 years ago, never had any problems really......

Reactions: Robinredbreast

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Last September we flew from Bristol. Our flight is at quarter to 4 in the afternoon. Birmingham 2 years ago, never had any problems really......

It must be my “wanted face” I had a terrible time at Bristol airport flying to bodrum , full bag search , and had to use big meter to show what it was for , also had a stand off about not willing to go through scanner with pump , happy to hand it over to be hand scanned, luckily I did have an old drs letter re diabetes . On another holiday flying from Dalaman to Bristol , 4 searches at various points through the airport to be far so did many others except just as I was queuing to board plane I was separated from my partner and with 4 others were waved to another section of queue and bags all searched again . That was worrying as I didn’t know what they wanted or saying , now allow plenty of time . I never buy any duty free or souvenirs, tobacco or spirits and warn , . I later found out after dalaman trip there had been a high level alert . Exeter can be unhelpful too .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a terrible time at Bristol airport too. We were carrying no meds or lancets or liquids at all but they still insisted on emptying the contents of my bag. It only had travel documents, a dictionary, jumpers and macs in it but it still took us over 2 hours to get through to the gate. They were unpacking around a third of all the bags there and embarassing alot of people by doing so. One woman had her case unpacked by a male security officer in full view of a whole queue of people and she only had clothes in it. There really was no need to take her underwear out for all to see.

So if you are going from Bristol airport with medical supplies get there early with lots of time to spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: alohanicky2009

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not at Bristol but once I was travelling for work, just overnight trip so only briefcase with clean underwear and a change of top in a handbag size thing. Toiletries in the plastic bag as required. Male security removed all my sanitary products in full view of everyone - female security came over and said “that’s enough” and off I went.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never had issues at Bristol - my husband has a pace maker so cannot go through scanners but so far nobody has asked to see his card. Although when we went to St Malo on the ferry one of the guards tried to get him to go through the scanner until, after telling him 3 times and using various hand signals he got the message!

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In my past life I was Head of Aviation Security at London Luton Airport and sat on the Joint Airports Security Committee.

I have to agree that different Airports adopt differing rules and these vary between individuals who carry out the screening. Many Airports now use different Contractors rather than employ their own in-house staff.

However, all standards should in theory be the same, as all airports are required to adopt the CAA rules and all screeners should be trained to the same standard. However that is not the case in practise.

My advice is always to advise the airline and airport in advance of your needs and to carry a Doctors letter and Prescription list. If needed, this can be produced at the screening point if necessary. You can always request a hand search of any equipment and if a body search is required, you can request that this is carried out in private away from others.

Without saying too much. The Catch 22 problem for the screener is that those who seek to hurt us can be very devious and can use items of equipment to conceal dangerous things. This is why certain items of equipment have to either be x-rayed or if not they would need to be taken apart to see what may have been secreted inside. Hence the Doctors letter helps.

Unfortunately screening is an absolute neccesity in the current climate and ultimately the security search team can refuse you to travel. For this reason, It is best not to get angry with them at the time. It may be worth asking to speak with the Duty Security Manager who will be well versed in the procedures for diabetics.

If your experience dosn't go well, it is always worth bringing to the attention of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) via their Website as they are responsible for setting the standards in the UK and feedback is essential.

With regards to The Landyard Scheme - This is operated at some Airports including Heathrow, Gatwick and Bristol by OCS. It is designed to help people with disabilities get through the airport more easily and with less worry. OCS staff can recognise the Landyard and offer assistance with help on Checking In or Preparing your bag prior to Security Screening. It will not negate any of the requirements of the Security Screen or Check In Procedures or get you through any faster. It is basically a helping pair of hands.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hope Gatwick is OK, flying from there tomorrow

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I personally not had too much trouble at Gatwick , I guess they see alot of people with different issues , I think a lot is that the tubing from a pump can look rather frightening with security , I keep my pump in view and show my cannula insertion discreetly , ( I must say that my partner and myself shoot so I accept the extra attention of security dogs and we show BASC membership cards if we are approached .

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@helensaramay thanks for the heads up. Not flying until 30 September

@alohanicky2009 Dalaman is the most secure airport I have ever been thru. Have never had any problems there. 1st time with a pump this year so, fingers crossed, it will be fine. Must remember to put the canula in my belly and not my leg when I fly