I've had issues using LibreLink and the Libre Sensor

• Total voters

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TL;DR:
FreeStyle are Misadvertising the way the LibreLink app works with Android devices leading to compatability issues and have no intention of fixing the problem or even alerting potential users that there is a problem.

I am uncomfortable with the way FreeStyle advertises the FreeStyle Libre sensors and the way they work with Android devices.

I have had a very uncomfortable morning going back and forth with FreeStyle and the impression I have thus far gotten is that they care very little for their customers and far more for the sales of their devices and keeping liability off of themselves.

The website states that the FreeStyle LibreLink and Libre Sensors will work with Android devices running version 5.0 and up. I personally use an iPhone 6s Plus most of the time, but I wanted this badly enough that I found and dusted off an old OnePlus One which runs Android 6.0.1 and has NFC and got it running again. (I don't mind having to carry two devices if I don't have to stab myself a bunch of times a day.)

As it so turns out. This statement on their website is an utter lie. The truth is it works with... most or at least, some Android devices running Android 5.0+. After doing more research online I'm coming across more and more compatability issues.

If you hunt for a compatable devices list via google (There is no way to easily find this directly on their website) you quickly learn that the 'Android 5.0' + thing is more or less wishful thinking on their part. ( https://www.freestyle.abbott/ie/en/librelink/compatibility-guide.html )

The actual list of confirmed working devices is very short:
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy S6
Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
Samsung Galaxy S8 and 8+
Nexus 6P
Google Pixel
Nexus 5X

There is not a single mention anywhere on the website of devices that are definitely not compatible, which is funny considering the number of forum responses online where people have contacted them and they have confirmed that there is an issue with a device that is known about. However they make no attempt to communicate this to people until after they have bought the device and it fails to work.

Actually I lie. They do.
Confirmed not working:
Galaxy S6 (the same device that is confirmed working in a couple flavours in fact also does not work)

I'm fairly good with tech, I was a developer and I still work around and with computers and hardware and software constantly. And this was a minefield even for me. What about others out there who are perhaps less into technology who just want a simple solution to their diabetes.

My whole conversation with them on the phone this morning revolved not around how to solve this issue, but instead on shifting blame onto the phone manufacturer.

Just thought you guys should know. Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine works fine on Samsung S3 mini, Samsung J3 and Huawei P Smart...

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine works fine on Samsung S3 mini, Samsung J3 and Huawei P Smart...
This is great to know, even if all this thread becoems is a list of devices people HAVE gotten working I'll be really really happy. There's just not a good way to check as it currently stands!

So feel free to mention devices that you know do and don't work. I would be very happy to be proven wrong and given a big list of working devices for others to see and choose from when they upgrade their phones.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I answered the question and then read your posts, as I use my iPhone 8 and have no problems I may not be the opinion your looking for as the post itself mentions android.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Works on my Honor 10.
And worked on my old Samsung A3.

Unfortunately, I agree with Abbott: Android is a platform. Many phone manufacturers add their own flavour to this. Some add features and some disable "common" Android features. It is not a standard.
Anyone who develops an app to work on Android has to assume which Android features will be available on most phones. Some app developers are more conservative than others or, as it is their core business, spend more money testing on all possible phones. Like Facebook.
But a company like Abbott, who are not in the business of writing phone apps byt make money out of healthcare systems, do not exhaustively test every single Android phone with version 5.0 or later that has ever been on the market.

I am sorry you have come across this problem with your phone and the Libre. I have come across it wth other completely different apps that have not entirely worked and it is frustrating. But I understand it is because Android is not a standard.

I do agree with you to a point. It's not really that they don't support some devices. My issue is that they seem to be getting reports of devices that don't work, but make no effort to update the working and non-working device lists, which are very sparse at the moment.

My other issue is with the blanket statement they make on their website which just states the only requirement is an Android device with NFC running 5.0+ with no link or any indication of how to find the compatible devices list, suggesting they are confident that it will work with a vast number of devices rather than the quite small list they are actually confident in.

So my issue is around transparency, not the fact that my specific device doesn't work. I've already ordered a new phone to use with it so the issue will be resolved for me soon.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
This is a problem with any app - it becomes impossible to test on every device available. We went through this when creating an app with work, the developers tested it, as many of our team tested it on all devices we had access to. All looked good. After launch we still got a few people complaining it did not work for them.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I got a Galaxy A3 (2016 model.) running Android 7.0. (Looking at the info..)

I've no issues firing up (activate) the sensor with Librelink, then read the little white disc of joy with another app called Glimp from then on.
The Glimp app has a long extensive list of compatible NFC phones with the Libre? Most of which I never heard of...
Dotted amongst this "list," conveniently is incompatible devices too..

Personally, I don't like paying big bucks for a device I can easily drop.

Reactions: porl69
D

Deleted member 308541

Personally, I don't like paying big bucks for a device I can easily drop.
I try not to drop phones, but my unlocked Samsung J5 Pro with Android 8.1.0 and nfc on it, has bounced off of the floor and still works perfectly, it's in a cover so it gives it a bit of protection.

Paid a bit over $300.00 for it in May 2018.

It is compatible with the libre thingy according to the Play Store

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try not to drop phones, but my unlocked Samsung J5 Pro with Android 8.1.0 and nfc on it, has bounced off of the floor and still works perfectly, it's in a cover so it gives it a bit of protection.

According to the Glimp advice list, my aformentioned A3 model number shouldn't technically work with the Libre...
Lol, I found this "nugget" out after I discovered the phone actually does. :D

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My whole conversation with them on the phone this morning revolved not around how to solve this issue, but instead on shifting blame onto the phone manufacturer.

I think Abbott shot themselves in the foot by developing the app for anything other than the iPhone. I'm no fan of the iPhone and I've never owned one, but can see the benefit of just developing apps for the iPhone. I worked in IT for nearly 40 years including a good many years in mainframe software development, different operating system, but similar problems.

Unlike the iPhone, each Android device manufacturer can overlay its own user interface features, which means the same version of the OS may not function identically in different devices. In addition, OS versions are rolled out at different times, and not all Android devices qualify to receive new updates. For that reason I can see why they would shift the blame to the manufacturer. I'm not excusing them, but I can see the problem they have.

Personally I was happy with the reader which came with the startup kit although I have used the miaomiao and XDRIP for Android without too much aggro.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

According to the Play Store so is the OnePlus One which I tried to use. Sadly the Play Store is unable to really tell you whether or not it's going to work in the end

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Abbott shot themselves in the foot by developing the app for anything other than the iPhone. I'm no fan of the iPhone and I've never owned one, but can see the benefit of just developing apps for the iPhone. I worked in IT for nearly 40 years including a good many years in mainframe software development, different operating system, but similar problems.

Unlike the iPhone, each Android device manufacturer can overlay its own user interface features, which means the same version of the OS may not function identically in different devices. In addition, OS versions are rolled out at different times, and not all Android devices qualify to receive new updates. For that reason I can see why they would shift the blame to the manufacturer. I'm not excusing them, but I can see the problem they have.

Personally I was happy with the reader which came with the startup kit although I have used the miaomiao and XDRIP for Android without too much aggro.

Honestly I wanted the reader too, but they have suspended sales of it to anyone other than current Abbott customers, so it's not purchasable in the UK, hence me having to use my phone if I want to use it, I'm exploring other avenues for picking up a reader because I do want one as a backup but it's going to take a while.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly I wanted the reader too, but they have suspended sales of it to anyone other than current Abbott customers, so it's not purchasable in the UK, hence me having to use my phone if I want to use it, I'm exploring other avenues for picking up a reader because I do want one as a backup but it's going to take a while.
Have you asked your diabetes team for one? I know my diabetes team can provide most things or spares from their stock room.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Sorry, don't have the link handy, but a while back, Abbott said they were changing their delivery model to move away from their website to local distributors such as pharmacies, which is why most non-script private purchasers buy the sensors from Boots, Superdrug etc.

On a few occasions, I've seen "starter packs" containing two sensors and a reader on a chemist's shelves behind the counter awating collection.

Under the current distribution model, I expect the chemist can probably order up a reader, in the same way they do with sensors, so maybe worth asking at the chemists?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @chloegeek obvious question here BUT have you checked that you NFC is working on your phone?

Reactions: Jaylee

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, don't have the link handy, but a while back, Abbott said they were changing their delivery model to move away from their website to local distributors such as pharmacies, which is why most non-script private purchasers buy the sensors from Boots, Superdrug etc.

On a few occasions, I've seen "starter packs" containing two sensors and a reader on a chemist's shelves behind the counter awating collection.

Under the current distribution model, I expect the chemist can probably order up a reader, in the same way they do with sensors, so maybe worth asking at the chemists?

I asked them and they said they had no way to order them in and were only able to get a hold of the sensors, and this was a fairly large Pharmacy associated with one of the largest supermarkets in the country. I assume they will be available eventually, but as it stands at the moment, no dice.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @chloegeek obvious question here BUT have you checked that you NFC is working on your phone?
Yup! I ran around the house scanning other NFC tags and all of them worked perfectly, even ones I hadn't scanned for nearly 6 years, all read perfectly except for the libre.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you asked your diabetes team for one? I know my diabetes team can provide most things or spares from their stock room.

They aren't allowed to supply me with one until I've completed a mandated training course. Hence why I am self funding currently whilst waiting on the training course as the waiting list is several months long in my area.