What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mostly the meters are given to the surgeries without cost by the manufacturers...the suppliers make their profits on the testing strips so when you see the offer of a free meter (wherever it may be) you need to check the cost of the strips used with it...no meters are not generally prescribed as a matter of course to T2's non-dependent on hypo causing medication or solely diet & exercise...there is the occasional forward thinking practice that may but those are few & far between...I have supplied a few letters to others that wanted to challenge their own CCG's this was an issue that caused great friction on another forum for some unknown reason!

Your post made me curious about how things are done over here, so I called my pharmacy. Apparently it's the same here -- the prescribing of meters depends on the doctor's practice, some docs prescribe them (like mine:)), others might not.

Reactions: HarryBeau

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks dunelm if my bgs are 6 or under b4 bed i have a digestive biscuit which then keeps me pretty level i am so sensitive to the insulin that if i gave myself less long acting bgs go up into the teens and thats by reducing it by only half a unit and due to insulin sensitivity i have to take metformin (does nothing for my bgs but helps my insulin work more efficiently)so when i hypo my liver doesnt kick in so hypo remains till i wake up which thank god i do :)bet ye sorry you commented now ;)

No - it sounds like a good plan and as long as you keep waking up you can keep going down the pub.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie those look delicious! Thank you for posting the recipes and pics. :)

FBG 6. 2 this morning, after being up nearly an hour on the phone with the cable company wondering why my TV had sound and closed-captions but no picture. All sorted now, cable agent was terrific and we actually ended up laughing and talking about our mothers, who (apparently like us) didn't sound their ages.

@gennepher I hope your day has gone well. The KittenCat wants to tell Popeye that she is always trying to get me to join her in a snuggle day in bed. After my early stress re the TV I think I will take her up on her invitation of this morning, after just one more episode of "Heartland" and a cup of decaf coffee.

2c198245b0bac254eb46222c0f133f11--kliban-cat-cat-art.jpg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mhh.

Maybe too late for your program, @Debandez

but how useful would it be to have the stats of everyone on here who was willing to help ?
I'm thinking a general post plea for the info.

Needs only be.
Length until a return to normal readings (if applicable otherwise WiP..work in progress)
HBA1C at DX and date
HBA1c date first entered Non diabetic range (if applicable or WiP)
Last HBA1c date..(as above if none since )

if we get enough here we can see if its a viable tool.
and if we decide not, it would still be interesting and informative for those reading later

so for me that would be

Format
Time on LCHF
Time until 1st normal reading
Diagnosis HBA1c
Date 1st normal HBA1c
latest HBA1c

jjraak....
Time on LCHF 9 months (started oct 2018)
11 months to normal
HBA1c 56 aug 2018 diagnosis
HBA1c 40 july 2019 1st normal reading
Last HBA1c as above

Bubbsie..
Time on LCHF
WiP
July 2016 BG 17.4 diagnosis
HbA1c April 2018 45 (WIP)
as above current HBA1c

Rachox.
time on LCHF 23 months
time to normal numbers 4 months
HbA1c70May 5th 2017 diagnosis
HbA1c 36 Sep 14th 2017 1st normal hba1c
HbA1c 34 April 23rd 2019 current hba1c

anyone else want to QUOTE this post and ADD theirs just beneath mine ?
then we can just pass it on and each of us can delete as we go to save cluttering thread?
And would keep all the data in one post for easy recall.

@jjraak
Dunelm.
time on LCHF 51 months
time to normal numbers 5 months
HbA1c 85 on 20th Apr 2015 diagnosis
HbA1c 38 1st April 2017 1st normal hba1c
HbA1c 36 20th June 2019 current hba1c

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Bubbsie those look delicious! Thank you for posting the recipes and pics. :)

FBG 6. 2 this morning, after being up nearly an hour on the phone with the cable company wondering why my TV had sound and closed-captions but no picture. All sorted now, cable agent was terrific and we actually ended up laughing and talking about our mothers, who (apparently like us) didn't sound their ages.

@gennepher I hope your day has gone well. The KittenCat wants to tell Popeye that she is always trying to get me to join her in a snuggle day in bed. After my early stress re the TV I think I will take her up on her invitation of this morning, after just one more episode of "Heartland" and a cup of decaf coffee.

2c198245b0bac254eb46222c0f133f11--kliban-cat-cat-art.jpg

Still chilling out @SaskiaKC with Popeye who says a sleepy hi...

OriginalPhoto-587566499.802571.jpg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ARRRGH! My pet dracula has been busy today 5.7 at 6am BUT 2 hours after a 15gram carb usual food breakfast 7.4 so retested in case of error but sadly correct :banghead: no idea why. So feeling fed up on a wet and dull day, back in long trousers, I comfort eat for lunch, half a cauliflower with melted cheese and bacon heaven knows what Dracula will find 2 hours on.

Still I did manage to finish my pastel work of a friends Labrador, always more creative when depressed.

The down side is I was looking for the highest offer on my Caulii in the Cauliflower Shortage thread as it was probably worth its weight in gold :(

My friends lab captured in Pastels
View attachment 34933
What a talent you have. Amazing.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmhh, that's good @Muddy Cyclist ..i'm no artist but i liked it.
well done.:D

Morning BG's probably a mix of food and the inability of some of us to utilise carbs the same at different times of day.

Not noticed for me, but i have others say that they avoid more carbs in the mornings
..but load up a little more at night when they seem to tolerate them better.
( i may have that the wrong way round)
also i hear exercise can raise your BG's before it starts to lower..in case it was after bike ride

But score still in a range i'd be happy with.

Enjoy the day.
Yes I've read low carb intake better in morning too

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've read low carb intake better in morning too
Since reading this from yourself and @jjraak I have made adjustments to my morning nosh. Rivita ditched so 2 scrambled eggs and smoked salmon followed by Yoghurt and Raspberries, 2 hours later my bloods were the same as when I had Rivita but I shall continue to have less carbs for breakfast and see how it goes. One sure thing is my 2 hour Mountain Bike workout covered more ground than usual so I did more miles.however not a fair test as the wind was blowing in my favour up most of the hills.:)

Thank you @Debandez for your kind comment re Pastel of Lab.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to @Rachox for being kind enough to allow me to add her data to the HBA1c data post

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ose-full-on-chat.163627/page-371#post-2114547

i have taken liberty of adding below.
any one else happy for me to add them or wish to add themselves ?
can see this being of much interest as @Rachox suggested to those new to the forum,
and of potential to @Debandez, @Listlad and those others in the field (i believe you do that as well rachox ? )
we always get hit with numbers, maybe it's time to fire back and show them how ours stack up ?

so for me that would be

Format
Time on LCHF
Time on LCHF until 1st normal reading
HBA1c at Diagnosis
HBA1c date of first Normal reading
HBA1c

jjraak....
Time on LCHF 9 months (started oct 2018)
11 months to normal
HBA1c 56 aug 2018 diagnosis
HBA1c 40 july 2019 1st normal reading
Last HBA1c as above

Bubbsie..
Time on LCHF
WiP
July 2016 BG 17.4 diagnosis
HbA1c April 2018 45 (WIP)
as above current HBA1c

Rachox.
time on LCHF 23 months
time to normal numbers 4 months
HbA1c70May 5th 2017 diagnosis
HbA1c 36 Sep 14th 2017 1st normal reading
HbA1c 34 April 23rd 2019 current hba1c

Now if only we had someone who could work out a spreadsheet for easy reference...mmmhh ;)

Listlad
Time on LCHF 6 months (started Feb 2019)
(its comlicated) to normal
HBA1c 49 aug 2019 (was never repeated owing to reduced sugar intake)
HBA1c 36 April 2019
Very slow reduction in HbA1c using Eatwell approach.
Rapid reduction using lchf (Feb 2019)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since reading this from yourself and @jjraak I have made adjustments to my morning nosh. Rivita ditched so 2 scrambled eggs and smoked salmon followed by Yoghurt and Raspberries, 2 hours later my bloods were the same as when I had Rivita but I shall continue to have less carbs for breakfast and see how it goes. One sure thing is my 2 hour Mountain Bike workout covered more ground than usual so I did more miles.however not a fair test as the wind was blowing in my favour up most of the hills.:)

i'm not entirely convinced that T2 is ever truly linear.

it would explain a lot of the unexpected scores
i think personally that previous foods can have an impact on us hours / days later
presume as our bodies process them in some way or hold on to parts because ti thinks we are in trouble.

Those early days i went down in plateaus almost month by month. so i came to the conclusion that the body is Stubborn
and tries to stop us harming ourselves and by dint IT.

It's only when we are consistent that it finally gets it , and goes
" OK..you SEEM to know what your doing...THIS time
BUT i'll be keeping a close on YOU, next time, Buddy
.".

and then relaxes into the appropriate level to the food intake.

My 2 bits, could be wrong..( has happened before.)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'm not entirely convinced that T2 is ever truly linear.

it would explain a lot of the unexpected scores
i think personally that previous foods can have an impact on us hours / days later
presume as our bodies process them in some way or hold on to parts because ti thinks we are in trouble.

Those early days i went down in plateaus almost month by month. so i came to the conclusion that the body is Stubborn
and tries to stop us harming ourselves and by dint IT.

It's only when we are consistent that it finally gets it , and goes
" OK..you SEEM to know what your doing...THIS time
BUT i'll be keeping a close on YOU, next time, Buddy
.".

and then relaxes into the appropriate level to the food intake.

My 2 bits, could be wrong..( has happened before.)

Cool. It makes my body sound like a horse. Which makes sense, because I too am a mammal, with a similar herd instinct. Which makes sense, as we all congregate for support and information in order to thrive ...

No, I did not have any weird substances for breakfast, even the coffee was 9?% caffeine free! ...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak
Dxd 8 Dec 17 HBA1c 53
Started LCHF <100g straightaway
April 18 HBA1c 41 decided to reduce carbs gradually to <50g
June 18 HBA1c 36
Dec 18 HBA1c 33. 2 stone weight loss carbs 30-50g
June 19 HBA1c 33 weight stablised carbs aim to be close as possible to 30g but <40g

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The thing is we are all different. No rule book available. Try it and let us know how it goes as others will benefit. If that's ok.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: dunelm

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cool. It makes my body sound like a horse. Which makes sense, because I too am a mammal, with a similar herd instinct. Which makes sense, as we all congregate for support and information in order to thrive ...

No, I did not have any weird substances for breakfast, even the coffee was 9?% caffeine free! ...

i suppose your right..food is energy.

and energy can be measured in Horse power.

And it can seem that we can have wild ponies in our blood with some of the wilful high score we unexpectedly get
until we coral them and then break them.
So yeah, makes sense.

( But still not convinced about the weird substance, though....;) )

t1422.gif

Viv19

I used to make these quite often & trialled them on my colleagues at our office they loved them...very similar to Bounty Bars and delicious

Ingredients (make about 25 truffles):
200 g desiccated coconut
100 ml double cream
7g Splenda
70 g butter

100 g dark chocolate must be 70% or more cocoa solids
Preparation:
In a bowl mix coconut with splenda.
In a small sauce pan heat up butter together with cream (do not bring to boil).
Pour the mixture over coconut and splenda and combine together. Refrigerate the mixure for about 30 minutes. It's much easier to form little balls when its cold.

Form little balls and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Dip each coconut ball in melted chocolate and place on a large plate or chopping board lined with baking paper. Use the toothpick for dipping and let excess of the chocolate drip back in the bowl. Refrigerate for about an hour until chocolate the set.

Calories and Carbohydrates:
Whole mixture +dark chocolate
1 truffle
Carbohydrates
56.5g
2.2g
Calories

Again from Diabetic Good Baking you can adapt (as I do) to suit your own tastes.

That can’t be right- 1 truffle 56.5 g ???