Jackfruit

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone here eat Jackfruit it is very low carb and I know it is something that some vegetarians and vegans have. I was given a tin of it and wanted to know the best way to use it

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I really liked it, but it turns out I’m quite allergic to it - quite common if you have a birch pollen allergy apparently. I used it in curries and Jamaican dishes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this different to the jackfruit that you get in Asia?
Yellow fruit that has a bubblegum taste that seems to be 40% carb..

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I like jackfruit. You can do tons of stuff with it. At the moment our favourite is marinading it in a BBQ sauce, and then spreading it on a home made pizza, together with any other veggies we fancy and some vegan cheese.

Always flavour it! Curry, BBQ, cajun - anything - but flavour it or it won't be fun to eat.

Try here:

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/?s=jackfruit

Her stuff always works out for me so I feel safe recommending it. I'm particularly partial to the pulled jackfruit!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Does anyone here eat Jackfruit it is very low carb and I know it is something that some vegetarians and vegans have. I was given a tin of it and wanted to know the best way to use it

What is the carb value on the can ?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife eats it. She eats the fresh version. But she isnt diabetic (yet).

It can be bought in Asian stores. I have tried it. Its quite nice.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, jackfruit is life. So good and it smells amazing. I’ve had it in bbq sauce but I’ve tried it in a burger and thats tasty. It’s tasty in soups and stews as well. It also makes one tasty coconut dessert, I’m drooling as we speak.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have coconut milk with chai seeds in it, add in a few pieces of jackfruit with ice and you are good to go.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
125g carbs which is half the can is 2.9g of which 0.5g is sugar
Sorry this doesn’t make sense to me.
125g carb for half a can!! Sounds outrageous but I’ve no idea of how big the can is or how dense the fruit inside is.
Or half the can is 125g weight and has 2.9g of carbs? I’m thinking this is more likely

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm...looked up on carbs under canned with syrup drained , 1 serving of 1/2 cup or 3.2 oz is 20 carbs.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
We get ours canned in spring water - from Sainsburys. We don't want the syrup sort; we like savoury foods more than sweet.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry this doesn’t make sense to me.
125g carb for half a can!! Sounds outrageous but I’ve no idea of how big the can is or how dense the fruit inside is.
Or half the can is 125g weight and has 2.9g of carbs? I’m thinking this is more likely
I got that wrong half a can is 2.9g of carbs of which 0.5 is sugar

Last edited: