Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast Was it while you were sleeping? Because sometimes if you sleep on it the pressure of it against you will interfere with proper readings, it can cause a break in the readings or a false low reading.

I only ever lost a signal on the Libra at night a few times, if my Dexcom does it, it signals the sensor is nearing it's end.

I will try and look for that, thanks for the info.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Robinredbreast Was it while you were sleeping? Because sometimes if you sleep on it the pressure of it against you will interfere with proper readings, it can cause a break in the readings or a false low reading.

I only ever lost a signal on the Libra at night a few times, if my Dexcom does it, it signals the sensor is nearing it's end.

That would cause a Lo and not an interrupted line??

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for satisying the raging curiosity @helensaramay. In my experience all too many organisations (and I've worked with a lot as clients of mine) have serious disregard for staff in the way they set about changes which will or might affect peoples' jobs (albeit sometimes quie unintentionally, but it's still unforgivable). Sadly I don't think there's any way of judging that before you start to work with an organisation unless you know someone who already works there. Trouble is, if there's a change at the top or a merger the approach can change too. It's one of the many reasons I'm so pleased I'm in the very fortunate position of having worked for myself for so long. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Reactions: Kim Possible

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Home, and I have tomorrow off so that we can ferry my mil around, and make sure she stays safe. She'll want to visit my fil and do a little bit of shopping, and then when we take her home we can't just lob her through the front door and drive off....

Reactions: Marie 2

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends,

University got back to say to say they can't accept work now because the board of examiners are marking it today and the meeting is tomorrow. (they have a tight schedule) I said sorry to myself because I had the opportunity to do it but I spent time feeling sorry for myself and let the negative cookie get in the way of things. So I'll have time to think this through in terms of opportunities - I don't have work experience and I don't have any income to go back to college to do anything that I want to do. So it'll be working for someone to get work experience. The grade boundaries for degree apprenticeships are on par with university entry grades, so I'll have no luck getting one of those. However if I look at level 2 and level 3 apprenticeships, my intellectual ability is above that and the government doesn't cover costs for me because of my age and I've been to university - I think apprenticeships are for 16-24? I've also applied to apprenticeships to see if I'll be accepted, but no one got back to me.

I also don't want to go home because I grew up in a takeaway and my parents will make me work there (my parents have their own businesses, they came to the UK with not a lot of wealth. When they had my brother and myself, they started their own food takeaway business and since then they have been able to buy and invest in properties etc. You could say I've been spoilt by my parents from a very young age.) and it's not really a position to gain life experience or a professional work experience. Nothing wrong with it, it's just I want to meet new people and create a network of people to connect with.

I also have a feeling that university will throw me because I didn't meet their expectations and it was my 3rd attempt to do it. It's kind of like how Russell group universities kick students out for not meeting their grade criteria or fail in certain modules.
My university were nice and generous but they didn't offer me any help with the coursework and that was the same feeling I had when I did my alevels. My bf couldn't help me because he excelled in maths and sciences, same with both of my brothers, my parent's english isn't that great to help me so all in all I had to rely on myself. You could argue that teaching yourself a subject can be difficult without guidance from my lecturers. I mean the powerpoint slides are just a few sentences and a few images, some of my modules don't record their lectures because students won't turn up if they find out it's been recorded. Because I'm not there to record it myself, I lose out as well.

However I am okay, I'm not okay for missing my opportunity and I will take this as a lesson that I need to better myself for me and not for anyone else.

@MeiChanski - Only you can decide how you move forward from your unfortunate set of circumstances, however, I would certainly urge you to take a bit of time to come to terms with where you find yourself, and to make any decisions about your longer terms next steps.

A family member of ours was unwell during her finals, and indeed was discharged from hospital on the morning of her final exam, which she sat that afternoon.

Where she had been forecast a 1st, she ended up with a 2:2 and utterly devastated. She refused, point blabk, to make a submission for a remark or for her circumstances to be taken into account. Was that wise? Who knows, but that was her decision.

For the next year she worked in Frankie & Bennies and was quickly promoted to a supervisory position, but whilst physically challenging, it wasn't intellectually stretching.

In the fullness of time (about a year), she had decided against a Masters, and eventually she applied for a graduate scheme, where she is doing well.

A while ago she was talking about what had happened and how she had ended up going in a very different direction with her career than she initially planned, but these days, she feels in many ways it was a challenge that has eventually put her onto her correct career path.

Many eons ago, when I was feeling trapped, with an excellent degree, but a strongly vocational one, I had a long heart to heart with my then boyfriend. I was bemoaning my position - vocational degree (what can I do with that?), bringing in a very health income (which needed to be replaced, because in reality we get used to these things!), and no idea what I wanted the future to look like.

D's advice to me was to forget the degree and professional qualifications, but to sit with several pieces of paper and just list my attributes - things like, "I have decent organisational skills". "I can solve sometimes tricky problems/puzzles." "I can track progress and plan future steps." "I can write a decent letter or report", and so on.

From there, it sounds very obvious, but I built a list of skills that weren't specifically tethered to my profession of the time.

I move on and my career took a different direction too.

Give yourself time. Focus on the things you can do, not those which have gone awry, and write a blue sky list of things you'd like to do.

Maybe you would like to spend a year as crew on a super yacht, or on Necker Island (or the like). Maybe you'd like to so a season in a St Moritz chalet. Maybe you'd like to paint.

Can any of those things make you money and broaden your skill base. I tell you what, doing a season in St Moritz of in the Med/Caribbean crewing super yachts makes for good interview chat, and by the time you had had a total change of focus for a while, the future might just look clearer.

It's a bump in the road.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @DCUKMod
I have started on my list of what I can do and what I am good at, rather than things I'm not good at. I am also waiting for my university's decision and depending on their decision I will then look for jobs to get by for the time being. :) My bf said it's not too late to start a family at the age of 35 because we both want stability first.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you @DCUKMod
I have started on my list of what I can do and what I am good at, rather than things I'm not good at. I am also waiting for my university's decision and depending on their decision I will then look for jobs to get by for the time being. :) My bf said it's not too late to start a family at the age of 35 because we both want stability first.

Think big, aim high :)

Reactions: MeiChanski

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DCUKMod

Meichanski - Do you live in a city, or a rural area?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meichanski - Do you live in a city, or a rural area?
I live in kind of a rural/ suburb area, I don't have a car to drive to places so a job might be difficult. I unfortunately didn't learn to drive because of my hypo incidents. I promised to learn it once my diabetes management was better. I rely on my bf to get to places and do food shopping. If I was back with my parents, it's much easier with transportation because they live in London. So I have applied for a few jobs near by and possibly look for ideas to work from the comforts of my own home.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put some skincare on my bf's face today before he got dressed for his interview and his face was glowing. Other than calling him my bbyg, he is also my glow queen. :hilarious: Who needs highlighter eh? :happy:

Reactions: Robinredbreast

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another update from university, they might want me to repeat the two core modules again. So I guess it's not all too bad? But I have to wait for the board of examiners to issue the letter. But from what my student adviser said they might want me to repeat. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Daphne917

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Lots of hypos of late especially around 4-6am

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you beautiful girlies tell me or confirm if cervical screening is quick and pain free procedure? Is it scary? My mum told me it's not bad and I should go anyway. I haven't been since I turned 25 and I know cervical cancer is very serious.

Reactions: porl69

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Could you beautiful girlies tell me or confirm if cervical screening is quick and pain free procedure? Is it scary? My mum told me it's not bad and I should go anyway. I haven't been since I turned 25 and I know cervical cancer is very serious.
It’s very quick. Not always totally painless, but any pain is kind of that injection phrase “a sharp scratch”. Go, go, go your mum is right it is annoying but worth knowing you are ok.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I keep realising I on the first pages of the forum again. There's a wonderful continuity and rhythm between now and 20,000 posts ago that's beguiling. Who knew how many people shopped at Morrisons (which I've never seen living in Oxford), and Lidl using M&S or Waitrose bags and even an F & M bag. :)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Not sure someone who is used to jabbing multiple injections into herself could find much scary. It's embarrassing, rather than scary or painful.

Reactions: MeiChanski

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert . It is amazing how this thread develops and continues to thrive.
Most of life’s ups, downs, challenges and successes get a fair airing.
I have no intention of joining the current conversation :):):). Already TMI even without @helensaramay introducing “ wet thoughts”.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
One lovely nurse once told me to “think wet thoughts” as she was doing it. Wasn’t really the right environment for doing so but the idea of trying relaxed me a little.
Eugh.