ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
@ert . It is amazing how this thread develops and continues to thrive.
Most of life’s ups, downs, challenges and successes get a fair airing.
I have no intention of joining the current conversation :):):). Already TMI even without @helensaramay introducing “ wet thoughts”.
I don't know where to look (with embarrassment). Maybe I should subtly change the subject and ask 'therower' what rowing he has done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know where to look (with embarrassment). Maybe I should subtly change the subject and ask 'therower' what rowing he has done.
Only in the gym rowing. Concept rowers down the years.
Joined a gym in my mid 20’s and fell in love with the rowers.
So for the past 30yrs give or take I’ve tried many different types of rowing.
Have done sprints, 2k sub 7 mins back in my younger years. Did a 400m challenge in the gym last year. 1.11.6 sec gave me the best time.:) Not bad for a 55 yr old T1 v all the younger guys.
Joined in a million meter challenge once and ended up doing 337,500 m on my lonesome over the course of a few weeks, average time for the distance came in around 1.58 rate for 500 m. ( got a trophy for that one:wideyed: )
Apart from this I’ve just done whatever takes my fancy and have really enjoyed it most of the time.;)
Age as now made sprints more enjoyable than distance. Still get a kick out of doing a Tabata workout on the rower.
Your avatars would suggest you are more of a proper rower on the open water.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Only in the gym rowing. Concept rowers down the years.
Joined a gym in my mid 20’s and fell in love with the rowers.
So for the past 30yrs give or take I’ve tried many different types of rowing.
Have done sprints, 2k sub 7 mins back in my younger years. Did a 400m challenge in the gym last year. 1.11.6 sec gave me the best time.:) Not bad for a 55 yr old T1 v all the younger guys.
Joined in a million meter challenge once and ended up doing 337,500 m on my lonesome over the course of a few weeks, average time for the distance came in around 1.58 rate for 500 m. ( got a trophy for that one:wideyed: )
Apart from this I’ve just done whatever takes my fancy and have really enjoyed it most of the time.;)
Age as now made sprints more enjoyable than distance. Still get a kick out of doing a Tabata workout on the rower.
Your avatars would suggest you are more of a proper rower on the open water.
Impressive stats. I'm just a placid girl in a single scull these days. The photo is me trialling for the Oxford Blues. 20 hours a week. Before diabetes.

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Impressive stats. I'm just a placid girl in a single scull these days. The photo is me trialling for the Oxford Blues. 20 hours a week. Before diabetes.
Not sure what constitutes impressive. They’re just numbers to me, what I am proud of though is the fact that I’ve done it all with my diabetic companion more often than not trying to get me to give up and stop:).
I know from your posts that things have been challenging for you recently but I honestly believe if you can get in a boat, or on a rower and give it your all and row through that pain barrier that brings so much joy, then living with diabetes can become a lot easier.
I’m not sure you would have been placid whilst trialling for the Oxford Blues. :):):) I’m very impressed.

Reactions: Alison54321

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of hypos of late especially around 4-6am

Hi Cumberland,
Your profile says you use Toujeo? (Basal.) I believe it's a Type of glargine, like Lantus.. (I use Lantus.) What time do you dose?
Forgive my memory. Do you use a 300u strength?

The recent hypo frequency... Have you recently started a new pen or cartridge, perchance?

Reactions: Cumberland

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Not sure what constitutes impressive. They’re just numbers to me, what I am proud of though is the fact that I’ve done it all with my diabetic companion more often than not trying to get me to give up and stop:).
I know from your posts that things have been challenging for you recently but I honestly believe if you can get in a boat, or on a rower and give it your all and row through that pain barrier that brings so much joy, then living with diabetes can become a lot easier.
I’m not sure you would have been placid whilst trialling for the Oxford Blues. :):):) I’m very impressed.
That was me then. This is me know (with type 1). I don't even know if I could row hard for twenty minutes on insulin. None of this malarky, which you have taken in your stride, has any formula or makes any sense. I'm the impressed one that you can do all of that on insulin.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hi Cumberland,
Your profile says you use Toujeo? (Basal.) I believe it's a Type of glargine, like Lantus.. (I use Lantus.) What time do you dose?
Forgive my memory. Do you use a 300u strength?

The recent hypo frequency... Have you recently started a new pen or cartridge, perchance?

Hello Jaylee

I inject between 9-9.30pm
I’ve been titrating downwards
I have lost some weight in the last 6 weeks
Yes I use the 300u Toujeo and by far this has controlled my blood glucose and reduced levels from 30.0+ to single figures (most of the time) other basals had no effect on me whatsoever so I’m happy with Toujeo

We tread a fine line don’t we
I just had my best ever HbA1c result of 57 and I am pleased as punch because in the past with poor control I was always stupidly high and often over 80 and even over 100

Take care Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One lovely nurse once told me to “think wet thoughts” as she was doing it. Wasn’t really the right environment for doing so but the idea of trying relaxed me a little.

Oddly, I've had a couple of mates (male) have some kind of "miniature camara crew" exploratory procedure done & both mentioned the nurse in attendance comming out with some rather strange "ice breakers."

I'll have to remember wet thoughts, Gene Kelly. Singing in the rain comes to mind....
Hello Jaylee

I inject between 9-9.30pm
I’ve been titrating downwards
I have lost some weight in the last 6 weeks
Yes I use the 300u Toujeo and by far this has controlled my blood glucose and reduced levels from 30.0+ to single figures (most of the time) other basals had no effect on me whatsoever so I’m happy with Toujeo

We tread a fine line don’t we
I just had my best ever HbA1c result of 57 and I am pleased as punch because in the past with poor control I was always stupidly high and often over 80 and even over 100

Take care Jaylee

Hi,

I use a 100u & inject around the 10/11pm mark. With glargine the danger of possible lows can be (for me predictably 2/3am or 5/6am.
Congratulations on the new you with the weight loss. It may have increased your insulin sensitivity. But then recently (if you have?) starting a new cartridge of basal, make the dosage a little more potent?
Personally, if I start to loose the plot on the fasting levels? I change cartrige for the next dose of basal.

Lol, it is a fine line.
Recently switched work patterns (temporarily.) & though it's a struggle with other life commitments. The BGs have been more predictably stable... Like sleepwalking it.

Take care yerself, me old mucker! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Just purchased 'Bright Spots and Landmines', by Adam Brown on type 1. Has anyone heard of it? It was recommended by Troy Stapleton, Oz type 1 LCHF guy, whom I follow.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cumberland Well done on the weight loss. I too am on Toujeo, though not large amounts. I take in the morning as it suits my lifestyle. I find that every couple of months I have to up or down it a unit depending on results. Upped it to 10 yesterday as continually rising during a long fasting period. Plus bad DP. In a few weeks lows will start particularly in the night and I will reduce it. A few weeks later I may have to reduce again. I found this difficult pre Libre, but now can immediately see when I need to adjust. Range 7-10 units.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1563172581381.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke on a 4.5, I'll take that.

Puppy day today. I get her some time this afternoon. One baby gate is in place, the other has to go on the stairs between a wobbly old stone wall and a curvy newel post so that'll be fun. Haven't attempted it yet as I need another pair of hands, plus of course the plumbers are up and down the stairs a lot so I want to leave it as late as poss. Shame she'll be coming home on a rainy day but I'm not postponing it!

@Cumberland congrats on getting your numbers down, and how's baby Whispa doing?

Have a good day all whatever you're up to.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 . The day is here ....WOW.
Enjoy the start of your new found love affair no matter what the weather does.
Have a great day.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was me then. This is me know (with type 1). I don't even know if I could row hard for twenty minutes on insulin. None of this malarky, which you have taken in your stride, has any formula or makes any sense. I'm the impressed one that you can do all of that on insulin.
Hey the most important thing to remember is that everyone is “ on “ insulin. It’s just that some of us have to out source and set up an alternative supply chain. It takes practice. It may seem like you’re trying to win a 2km race in a pedalo, out at sea in a force 10 gale, but with perseverance you will finish the 2km’s. Now here’s the added bonus. You will be a far stronger rower now both physically and mentally after rowing in such extremes.
Ultimately this new found strength will make you a unique rower or sculler. Granted you may never win Olympic gold, but you will be able to compete alongside and beat a lot of all the others out on the water:):).
Of course this can apply to life in general;)

Reactions: slip
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning guys, hope you all enjoy the day, very steady graph last night, listen to me talking all technical lol) 6.1 :happy: don't know what I'm doing right, but the last few days have been good :) long may it continue :) Promoting Shloer today
Happy Friday :)

Last edited: