Bouncing high and lows....

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
Not sure what is happening, but for the last few weeks I have had swings between very low (2.5) and very high (between 14 and 18.9) which today was a new high of 21.8 via the GP reading.

After suffering the issues from having continual high blood sugars, a few weeks ago I visited the GP following a couple of hypo's and when they tested mine after treating with sugar stuff, it was then 9.6 but was 14.2 but by time seen the Acute team, was down to 10.6. So the GP was called and he changed my dosage of the Gliclazide down to one tablet in the monring and a half tablet at evening meal. This was supposed to correct the hypers. I also take Alogliptin 12.5 twice a day.

This week, I've had two hypo's, one a few days ago at 2.5 and then one this morning at 2.7. I was surprised at this as first thing this monring it was 6.9, so couldn't understand the huge drop in just a couple of hours. However, I have been extremly tired over the last two nights, going to bed before 9pm, which is very unusual for me.

My reading after tea last night before I went to bed early was 14.7, so it was nice to get a good reading. However, that feeling was very short lived. These are my blood sugar readings for today....

06.33 - 6.9
10.23 - 2.7 Had a ham and tomoto roll plus a herbal tea to try to raise. Tested half hour later.
11.04 - 15.0
12.15 - 21.8 GP reading
14.37 - 12.9
16.18 - 12.1

As well as being tired, I am also hungry, so whereas normally its around 5 when I need dinner, the last few days its been turning 4pm and I'm looking for food but I am trying to avoid eating before meal time to control the hyper's but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. I know for hypo's I have to eat sweet things but I don't know too much to prevent too high a rise or to lower when having a hyper..

I thought eat the roll first, test after ten minutes then if still low, eat the banana but obviously, with it being so high, decided against it. Hearing the GP say that it was even higher, I am so glad that I hadn't eaten the banana. I know exactly how to treat the hypo's having suffered with continual low sugars for so many years. Its how to sort out my high blood sugars I just can't seem to get right.

As well as the issues with the blood sugars, I am also having issues with right sided pain which radiates to my back. It gets quite bad and sometimes feels like a huge pressure and I can hear myself wheezing internally, so presuming whatever is happening is causing my side to swell and hence the wheezing.

Talking to the GP, he thinks that maybe the right sided pain I've been having for the last month or so, could be related to the diabetes as this only seems to have been happening since I've been having issues with my high blood sugars. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not sure what is happening, but for the last few weeks I have had swings between very low (2.5) and very high (between 14 and 18.9) which today was a new high of 21.8 via the GP reading.

After suffering the issues from having continual high blood sugars, a few weeks ago I visited the GP following a couple of hypo's and when they tested mine after treating with sugar stuff, it was then 9.6 but was 14.2 but by time seen the Acute team, was down to 10.6. So the GP was called and he changed my dosage of the Gliclazide down to one tablet in the monring and a half tablet at evening meal. This was supposed to correct the hypers. I also take Alogliptin 12.5 twice a day.

This week, I've had two hypo's, one a few days ago at 2.5 and then one this morning at 2.7. I was surprised at this as first thing this monring it was 6.9, so couldn't understand the huge drop in just a couple of hours. However, I have been extremly tired over the last two nights, going to bed before 9pm, which is very unusual for me.

My reading after tea last night before I went to bed early was 14.7, so it was nice to get a good reading. However, that feeling was very short lived. These are my blood sugar readings for today....

06.33 - 6.9
10.23 - 2.7 Had a ham and tomoto roll plus a herbal tea to try to raise. Tested half hour later.
11.04 - 15.0
12.15 - 21.8 GP reading
14.37 - 12.9
16.18 - 12.1

As well as being tired, I am also hungry, so whereas normally its around 5 when I need dinner, the last few days its been turning 4pm and I'm looking for food but I am trying to avoid eating before meal time to control the hyper's but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do. I know for hypo's I have to eat sweet things but I don't know too much to prevent too high a rise or to lower when having a hyper..

I thought eat the roll first, test after ten minutes then if still low, eat the banana but obviously, with it being so high, decided against it. Hearing the GP say that it was even higher, I am so glad that I hadn't eaten the banana. I know exactly how to treat the hypo's having suffered with continual low sugars for so many years. Its how to sort out my high blood sugars I just can't seem to get right.

As well as the issues with the blood sugars, I am also having issues with right sided pain which radiates to my back. It gets quite bad and sometimes feels like a huge pressure and I can hear myself wheezing internally, so presuming whatever is happening is causing my side to swell and hence the wheezing.

Talking to the GP, he thinks that maybe the right sided pain I've been having for the last month or so, could be related to the diabetes as this only seems to have been happening since I've been having issues with my high blood sugars. Has anyone else experienced this?
I would speak to my GP again because it's the meds that is probably causing the hypos. The roller coaster ride of blood sugar levels, is similar to what happens when your initial insulin response is very weak, (hence the Gliptin) and the glicizide, which is supposed to lower blood sugar levels, but it is so erratic, no wonder you are getting symptoms. With these meds, you have to get the dosage right, with the amount of food you eat. If your dietary intake is too high in carbs and sugars, the meds can be either ineffective or too much. If your carbs, sugar is too low, your fat intake too low, it's the same, either ineffective or too much.
Control is key to good management of your blood glucose levels. There is probably some foods that you should eat less of and why your control has got worse.

What is your fasting levels?
Do you keep a food diary?

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
I would speak to my GP again because it's the meds that is probably causing the hypos. The roller coaster ride of blood sugar levels, is similar to what happens when your initial insulin response is very weak, (hence the Gliptin) and the glicizide, which is supposed to lower blood sugar levels, but it is so erratic, no wonder you are getting symptoms. With these meds, you have to get the dosage right, with the amount of food you eat. If your dietary intake is too high in carbs and sugars, the meds can be either ineffective or too much. If your carbs, sugar is too low, your fat intake too low, it's the same, either ineffective or too much.
Control is key to good management of your blood glucose levels. There is probably some foods that you should eat less of and why your control has got worse.

When you say fasting do you mean over night? It varies from lowest has been 2.5 to highest 12.1.

I am on a gluten free, high protein, high energy diet....

Due to my medical conditons, there are many items that I cannot have but the dietician set out that my meals I have to have third of carbs, third of veg and third of protein.I am supposed to have bread with each meal (hence the toast).

I have small meals - like kids size meals as stomoch condition so its very difficult.
I had to laugh because the dietician was talking about the 'Portion control' diet and I was with the three day diet adding photos so she could see what I ate, however, I had cropped to remove excess areas and this made the plate contents look bigger. She was sayng this is what you should have etc.

She didn't have the booklets at the time, but sent them to me and when I read it, I asked my husband to measure the plate. The booklet was on about a 10 inch plate - mine is a 7 inch plate (that includes the rim area) and this is not filled either, so on my next visit to her, I took my plate along. She said "Is that your plate you always use"....she hadn't realised how small the plate was and the idea of portion control was actually a lot more than what I actually have.
I dies make likfe very difficult

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Whyme_again, I am so sad that you are having such a rotten time of it.
I agree with Lamont D that it is a almost certainly caused by a mis-match between your medicines and the amount of Carbs and Protein you are eating which is causing your Blood Glucose levels to spike up and down. Both Carbs and Protein raise Blood Glucose, though Protein doe it much less and in a much more controlled and steady way. Only Fat has no effect on Blood Glucose which is why so many of us choose a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle!

I saw that in another thread it was said that you have RH and that there was some doubt as to whether you really are Type 2 or Type 1 (LADA). Did you manage to persuade your GP to give you a definitive test?

You are far from the only person to have problems with that. I know it is quite a long thread, but I suggest your read the thread called 'Newly Diagnosed and Confused' by IBEX82. She too has multiple conditions and takes Gliclazide and had problems in making her Health care professional adjust the dosage to match her (new) Low Carb High Fat diet.

This idea that the dietician has about eating carbs to match your medication doses is completely upside down!
If you are indeed Type 2, then you should 'eat to your BG Meter. By that I mean eat types and quantities of meals which don't spike your BG levels. Then the medication and dosage should be adjusted to what you are eating! If you eat to your medication, then you will probably find that for you Type 2 Diabetes will be a progressive disease and so you will require progressively higher doses of medication and perhaps even insulin injections eventually.

Reactions: Route 66

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As, I can't imagine your medical problems, I can only say, that this sounds very much like the eat well plate diet!

In my experience with this type of diet, it only compounds the issues.I was advised to eat this type of diet and it only made things worse. For years, eating carbs with every meal, not only, made my failing health worse, I had weight gain, and the symptoms increased. But that is me!
If you're asking, what is happening to you?
I imagine, Is that the diet is increasing your blood sugar quicker because of the carbs, low insulin response, as the meds kick in, the blood sugar levels drop, you eat again, even if it is small meals, your blood sugar levels will increase rapidly again and drop again.
It is very similar to my condition where the glucose derived from carbs is too much and my body reacts accordingly.
The only treatment that has worked for me is a low carb diet.
Control of blood sugar levels is really important.

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A
Hi Whyme_again, I am so sad that you are having such a rotten time of it.
I agree with Lamont D that it is a almost certainly caused by a mis-match between your medicines and the amount of Carbs and Protein you are eating which is causing your Blood Glucose levels to spike up and down. Both Carbs and Protein raise Blood Glucose, though Protein doe it much less and in a much more controlled and steady way. Only Fat has no effect on Blood Glucose which is why so many of us choose a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle!

I saw that in another thread it was said that you have RH and that there was some doubt as to whether you really are Type 2 or Type 1 (LADA). Did you manage to persuade your GP to give you a definitive test?

You are far from the only person to have problems with that. I know it is quite a long thread, but I suggest your read the thread called 'Newly Diagnosed and Confused' by IBEX82. She too has multiple conditions and takes Gliclazide and had problems in making her Health care professional adjust the dosage to match her (new) Low Carb High Fat diet.

This idea that the dietician has about eating carbs to match your medication doses is completely upside down!
If you are indeed Type 2, then you should 'eat to your BG Meter. By that I mean eat types and quantities of meals which don't spike your BG levels. Then the medication and dosage should be adjusted to what you are eating! If you eat to your medication, then you will probably find that for you Type 2 Diabetes will be a progressive disease and so you will require progressively higher doses of medication and perhaps even insulin injections eventually.

It's not the dietician who says to eat to medication, it's the manufacturer leaflet which days take with food. That's ok if it's breakfast, lunch or tea time bit it's bedtime that's the issue....Hence slice of toast. Trying without eating just made me feel I'll and very nauseous etc, so not really right but need to see what can eat instead.

whyme_again

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
N?A

I do a three day food diary for the dietician but not normally. My diet is bland and same things with just the protein changed. Protein is either roast chicken (these pieces would be about the size of a small celebration sweet times three pieces - that's the chicken.. .lol), or pork, beef, Turkey or fish.

I will take a picture next Neal so you can see what I mean.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It's not the dietician who says to eat to medication, it's the manufacturer leaflet which days take with food. That's ok if it's breakfast, lunch or tea time bit it's bedtime that's the issue....Hence slice of toast. Trying without eating just made me feel I'll and very nauseous etc, so not really right but need to see what can eat instead.
'Take with food' doesn't (necessarily) mean 'Take with high GI Carbs' !

Use your meter to decide what works and what doesn't - take lots of tests until you know what is safe and what isn't.
Can/do you eat eggs? - I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast almost every day and because it is nearly all Protein and Fat it doesn't harm my BG levels at all. I shell them cut them up add lots of salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil over them - delicious!
Tree Nuts ( not Cashews) or a chunk of cheese make a great snack, or if you have to take some meds with food.
Eating bread/toast is like eating sugar for me.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So the GP was called and he changed my dosage of the Gliclazide down to one tablet in the monring and a half tablet at evening meal. This was supposed to correct the hypers.

Your Doctor has reduced your medication as that medication can cause Hypos not Hypers.

You need to reduce your sugar intake to reduce your Hypers.

Look at the reading after the Ham and Tomato roll. It was the roll that caused the sharp rise. The Ham & Tomato would probably have been ok for you.

You need to test just before you start eating and two hours after. That way you will get a good understanding of what is good and what is bad for you.

Your right sided pain may well be the amount of sugar you are asking your body to try and process. Its not happy at all. I would seek advice from my GP.

Good Luck

Last edited:

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
I think the clue to your issue is the ham roll. Starting the day with any bread is never going to bring down your bsl, the reverse will happen. Not only that, sugar craves sugar and that roll will trigger a desire for more carbs long before you get to lunchtime. We also know that if you eat carbs and protein at the same time, particular if you start with the carb, that sugar spike will be more exaggerated.

06.33 - 6.9
11.04 - 15.0
12.15 - 21.8 GP reading
14.37 - 12.9
16.18 - 12.1