What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly the same for me DJC...I did post on DUK for some time but finally came to the realisation it just didn't 'cut the mustard'
I'm currently being a bit of a rebel on DUK. Putting a spanner in their works so to speak.
Duk reply
'That's great that you have found a way to manage your T2d with a low carb diet. We know that there is not a one size fits all method and that being aware of carb portion sizes is an important part of managing weight.
To keep things interesting we have low carb meal plans, which you can see here: http://bit.ly/2TB0hLg
You can also see our position statement on low carb diets, which is here: http://bit.ly/2OXwdLi'
My reply

Diabetes UK you state low carb is good for weight loss but it is excellent for blood sugar control as my monitor tells me. You didn't mention the most important bit.

Your low carb meal plan would spike my bs every day. Granary bread! Loaded with sugar. Bananas, average size has 6 spoons of sugar in. Porridge. My hba1c would go up and my diabetes would end up being progressive if I followed this plan. Your low carb statement is from over 2 years ago. So much has changed in the 2 years. When will it be reviewed again?'

You know, that sort of thing!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same with me - my dad was T2 and on insulin I also gave him the wrong advice going along with the professional viewpoint. Makes me sad to think about it now, but I doubt I could have changed his ways.
@Debandez you are so right about the choice. Lchf isn’t for everyone but if we had more GPS like Dr David Unwin who offer his patients a choice a) He can treat with meds as a chronic progressive disease. Or b) he can offer dietary advice and support about lowering carbs and not prescribe meds. Some patients do decide to take the meds even though he explains the complications and that will be on higher and higher doses and finally on insulin. That is their choice. I do wish I’d been offered that choice in the beginning.

I listened to a video yesterday from amazing local dr unwin. He has gone from last to 1st in treatment of t2d across country. Got national award. Sent £57000 of unused funding back to government!!! He is amazing.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth/david-unwin-low-carb-not-just-diabetes/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently being a bit of a rebel on DUK. Putting a spanner in their works so to speak.
Duk reply
'That's great that you have found a way to manage your T2d with a low carb diet. We know that there is not a one size fits all method and that being aware of carb portion sizes is an important part of managing weight.
To keep things interesting we have low carb meal plans, which you can see here: http://bit.ly/2TB0hLg
You can also see our position statement on low carb diets, which is here: http://bit.ly/2OXwdLi'
My reply

Diabetes UK you state low carb is good for weight loss but it is excellent for blood sugar control as my monitor tells me. You didn't mention the most important bit.

Your low carb meal plan would spike my bs every day. Granary bread! Loaded with sugar. Bananas, average size has 6 spoons of sugar in. Porridge. My hba1c would go up and my diabetes would end up being progressive if I followed this plan. Your low carb statement is from over 2 years ago. So much has changed in the 2 years. When will it be reviewed again?'

Did ya put any money in the Tin..?

:hilarious:

Got to go.
Off to shops to buy bananas and bread.
Might even put sugar on..
Oh I loved those school days
Banana sandwiches with sugar on..yum

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Duk reply
My reply

In their policy statement they say that “there is no consistent evidence that a low-carb diet is any more effective than other approaches in the long term, so it shouldn't be seen as the diet for everyone.”
I suppose what they mean is that although a large scale clinical trial has not been conducted, the evidence from individuals is not consistent. Nice way of keeping their heads in the sand instead of thinking, “hang about, something is happening, lets investigate properly”.

I am now in my 5th year on LCHF diet and although I started out with a big blast of <900 cal a day, I am pretty stable as long as I am not scoffing chips, drinking beer or eating more protein that my body can sensibly take without converting excess into carbs.

So, they need to be pioneers here and start a long term trial - they need to get some skin in the game instead of sitting about reading out of date information and making up rules.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s morning - yippee!

The wonder wheel of a day of using up leftovers and forced marches into town and back resolved into a nice flat graph of a, mainly, and sustained, 5.1 - that, until Dawn decided to play at 0700.

upload_2019-8-16_7-47-49.jpeg

Have a wonderful day if you can, hugs for everyone, complementary pats on the back included.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all, well my doom bringer sat lurking, lurking with intent to cause mental trauma, on the bench this morning. It looked so menacing that I very nearly just left it sitting there seething with built up rage, but being a bit thick I grabbed it and forced it to tell me what my number is! It still took it's time in divulging it, just like a surly teenager asked a question, 5.9 it spat out! I just backed out of the room glad I still had both my hands! Anyway less of the tales of daring do, of mischief and mayhem...…..it's only bloomin FRIDAY!! A weekend of lost memories, eating until you have to be rolled about, because your belly is so full, the alcohol is running out of your nose and you can see round corners!!Oh but to be able to do those thing's again, like waking up under a parked car! But alas no I have to adult and that means building a unit for the better half and going to my arch nemesis, IKEA !! I would rather beat myself to death with a straw than visit that place! Anyway enjoy your weekend everyone and please do something memorable and enjoyable.

Take care.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tenor? Baritone? Organist? Choirmaster?
Bass, in two choirs one modern the other Georgian in full costume.
Folk band, guitar, banjo, Mandolin.
Bass recorder in a quartet.

Learning the violin but don't think I will ever master it, all my neighbours have their houses up for sale :D

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder.
Will they only be as a group for 10 minutes in total, or will others be taking a part and leading the group as well.?

Most meeting I have attended, a few always turn up early.

Mighty be a nice Ice breaker, to do that first test BEFORE with those one or twos in attendance.
Then perform the same test at end.

The bugbear is what to eat that demonstrated the effect best, in that limited time frame that isn't something they might just dismiss and go
" yeah, but it's cola and we know to avoid that "
Or something like that.....mmhh?

Thinking hats on, me thinks.
Big agenda of which I'm a very small part.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mostly the meters are given to the surgeries without cost by the manufacturers...the suppliers make their profits on the testing strips so when you see the offer of a free meter (wherever it may be) you need to check the cost of the strips used with it...no meters are not generally prescribed as a matter of course to T2's non-dependent on hypo causing medication or solely diet & exercise...there is the occasional forward thinking practice that may but those are few & far between...I have supplied a few letters to others that wanted to challenge their own CCG's this was an issue that caused great friction on another forum for some unknown reason!
Have you a template. It could have it's own thread! We could send to Boris! And we could send to our GP practices.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol I do enjoy hearing your morning accounts with your metre of doom. You have quite a writing style, please survive the trip to ikea and do not kill yourself with a straw!
I'm sure that the better half wouldn't let me, something about needing to chauffer her around, and can't find a straw big enough. Enjoy your weekend.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it’s been a firm favourite here ever since.
Good to hear that DJC...I haven't made one for ages I might do one this weekend...glad you enjoyed it & it will keep the girls busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...not up until 8:15am...no work planned so getting used to late nights/late mornings must make more of an effort today... quietly sipping my coffee waiting for the deluge to arrive...I may try a quick rush to the shops before it arrives...then again I may not...another coffee before I decide...woke to a 6.5

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice way of keeping their heads in the sand instead of thinking, “hang about, something is happening, lets investigate properly”.

I am now in my 5th year on LCHF diet and although I started out with a big blast of <900 cal a day, I am pretty stable as long as I am not scoffing chips, drinking beer or eating more protein that my body can sensibly take without converting excess into carbs.

So, they need to be pioneers here and start a long term trial - they need to get some skin in the game instead of sitting about reading out of date information and making up rules.

Sadly i don't think many on there are interested.
status quo and many other bands at great risk of being upset, is the scuttlebutt

Sadly if they keep those heads in the sands long enough those who low carb might just wither away and die out, so the noise for change will stop and we can just go back to rotting slowly in our thousands

Because for some as well, the avenues that i would have said WERE the GOLD standard for information,
seem to be getting shut down, that might otherwise have offered that First responder help,
when we desperately search Dr google, only in future that search might only point us to Diabetes uk..with it's mouth watering menus..
or those others deemed suitable by the powers that be.
Perhaps we should enjoy Dr Unwin while we are still able to find and post such heresy...:rolleyes:

Skynet approaches.

Where's our Sarah Connor..?
cos i'm considering joining the resistance.
m1303.gif

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All from Kent. 6.8 this morning *** is going on! This is not funny anymore, it never was. When I get back home I will try different strips. Will catch up later with you all.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Reactions: Viv19

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, well my doom bringer sat lurking, lurking with intent to cause mental trauma, on the bench this morning. It looked so menacing that I very nearly just left it sitting there seething with built up rage, but being a bit thick I grabbed it and forced it to tell me what my number is! It still took it's time in divulging it, just like a surly teenager asked a question, 5.9 it spat out! I just backed out of the room glad I still had both my hands! Anyway less of the tales of daring do, of mischief and mayhem...…..it's only bloomin FRIDAY!! A weekend of lost memories, eating until you have to be rolled about, because your belly is so full, the alcohol is running out of your nose and you can see round corners!!Oh but to be able to do those thing's again, like waking up under a parked car! But alas no I have to adult and that means building a unit for the better half and going to my arch nemesis, IKEA !! I would rather beat myself to death with a straw than visit that place! Anyway enjoy your weekend everyone and please do something memorable and enjoyable.

Take care.

Ah! Ikea! That big Scandinavian blue and yellow box of mazes and short cuts.
The nice thing is that just as you get on the track to everywhere, there is a short cut stage left to the cafe and then another short cut to the land off exit doors. (Well, in Gateshead at least).

Reactions: geefull