Uncontrolled Type 2 and hyper's happening....

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was having a slice of toast at night because my medication requires me to eat with them. Toast is easiest option. Have stopped eating the toast now to see what difference it makes. Firstly, I've been having regular hypo's, so obviously, maybe not a good option. With my body working edifferently to other people's, perhaps treating my type 2 might also be different. Time will tell I guess.

What is the reading on your glucometer when you have these hypo's ?
What are the symptoms ?
Are you aware that when you run a such a high glucose level - a drop of any kind, to even something WAY
above normal for some others - can give you the feeling you are running low.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why you happily consume bread and potatoes and other starches - even consider eating a banana - both starch and sugar - they are carbohydrates, and you are unable to deal with carbohydrates. Your meter is showing you this.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, you seem to be having a very bad time of it. I'm a newbie type 2 so don't have the expertise that others who have already commented on do. However, my experience is that the way for me to drop my blood sugar levels (without medication) is to drastically reduce all the carbohydrates in my diet.
You have said you have allergies/intolerances- what are they? If we knew people may be able to give you some idea of some meals that are low carb (very low carb is best)
The Hypos you talk about- are they based on readings from your meter? I've read that if your body is used to high readings then even 'normal' levels may feel like a hypo.
I think that you need to talk to your HCP about getting tests to make sure that you are type 2 and then if so start reducing your carbs while also taking a lot of readings on your meter. I'm not on any medication beside metformin (which I hope to be able to ditch at some stage) but what I am confident about is that lots of readings will help. It is particularly useful in letting you know what you should not eat.
Good luck

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have been given a lot of good advice. You have been told to have low glycemic index foods. For those of us who are T2, LGI foods reacts exactly the same as any other carbohydrates, our glucose levels will rise significantly. A jacket potatoe is equivalent of 23 teaspoons of sugar, not exactly LGI, nor is whole meal bread or any thing whole meal. Best place for your list, is the bin. Unfortunately if you do see a dietician, they will tell you the opposite to this forum, do go a head with any other tests.
Is there any other particular reason why you cannot have green veg, bowel/digestive problems?
Steriods will play havoc with your levels.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started steroids I was given glicazide and had to promise to eat a wholemeal sandwich at bedtime. I got myself a freestyle libre and this showed I was going hypo in the early hours. I ditched the glicazide and jumped up and down until they gave me insulin.

I am still eating keto. The steroids make it difficult to control and I have peaks and troughs which has affected my vision. It will get better in due course.

We are all different. You should let your meter guide you. Personally I stay away from peas and carrots. If you buy packet meat, check the ingredients on the label. Often they include sugars. Don't buy crumbed ham. Cutting off the breadcrumbs doesn't work.

I will be glad when there are decent cauliflower back on the shelves, such à versatile veg.

If you fancy something a bit more substantial, make your own pizza using fat head dough.

There are thousands of recipes online. Google anything you fancy, just put keto in the search.

If you are only on 5mg of steroids, I would definitely ask your doctor to grop the glicazide. I don't know what effect your other meds have.

I would have a serious think about things. If you can stop the meds, go keto for a month and see how you feel after that.