Hello

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started a diet. My blood sugar readings have almost dropped by half in less than 3 weeks. I am currently on Metformin, atorvastatin and Forxiga.
Hi, and welcome!
Your profile says you're a diabetic's family member, not a diabetic yourself, you might want to fix that. I take it you're a T2? And can I ask which diet? There's a whole lot of them out there. I'm guessing it's some form of low carb though, what with the blood sugar results. (Well done, by the way!) If you've got any questions, give a shout out, there's usually someone around with answers.
Jo

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and welcome!
Your profile says you're a diabetic's family member, not a diabetic yourself, you might want to fix that. I take it you're a T2? And can I ask which diet? There's a whole lot of them out there. I'm guessing it's some form of low carb though, what with the blood sugar results. (Well done, by the way!) If you've got any questions, give a shout out, there's usually someone around with answers.
Jo
Its keto diet

Reactions: Prem51

CrisCris

I am new to this forum. I went from pre-diabetic in 2018 to diabetic this year. I have been trying the LC diet for a couple of months but have to limit the high fat due to prior digestive problems. After 5 months, got my A1C checked and there is not change. Very discouraging. I don't want to go on medications but this is not working. I exercise moderately, not a heavy drinker, about 15 pounds overweight, never have eaten a lot of sweets. I am beginning to think that I am one of those people who cannot control their T2 by diet only.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to this forum. I went from pre-diabetic in 2018 to diabetic this year. I have been trying the LC diet for a couple of months but have to limit the high fat due to prior digestive problems. After 5 months, got my A1C checked and there is not change. Very discouraging. I don't want to go on medications but this is not working. I exercise moderately, not a heavy drinker, about 15 pounds overweight, never have eaten a lot of sweets. I am beginning to think that I am one of those people who cannot control their T2 by diet only.

Hi and welcome.
How low carb are you going?
It may well be that you re someone for whom a ketogenic diet would prove to be more effective?
What are your HbA1c levels?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @CrisCris
If you give us a little more info, maybe we can be of assistance? What does a typical day's meals look like? Do you snack at all, and if so, on what? What do your numbers look like? How low carb are you going exactly? @bulkbiker has a point, maybe LCHF (or moderate fat, then) isn't cutting it for you, and keto might work better? About 20 grams of carbs a day, that'd be... Might sound difficult, but I load my plates and still remain under 20 grams of carbs a day, sometimes under 10, even... Don't give up just yet eh.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they prescribe statins when you were diagnosed as diabetic?

CrisCris

Hi and welcome.
How low carb are you going?
It may well be that you re someone for whom a ketogenic diet would prove to be more effective?
What are your HbA1c levels?

My A1C is 6.8, actually went up slightly from blood work done earlier in the year. I have been doing low carb. Here's an example of my meals:
Morning: Youghurt (LF/No sugar), strawberries, nuts
Lunch: 1 x egg, 1 slice rye bread (15 carbs for 1 slice)
Dinner: typically chicken, vegetables, salad
Snacks: Cheese, celery, cucumbers, crackers (lowest carbo crackers I can find), popcorn
No sugar in my tea/coffee - only use stevia.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My A1C is 6.8, actually went up slightly from blood work done earlier in the year. I have been doing low carb. Here's an example of my meals:
Morning: Youghurt (LF/No sugar), strawberries, nuts
Lunch: 1 x egg, 1 slice rye bread (15 carbs for 1 slice)
Dinner: typically chicken, vegetables, salad
Snacks: Cheese, celery, cucumbers, crackers (lowest carbo crackers I can find), popcorn
No sugar in my tea/coffee - only use stevia.
Popcorn is very high in carbs, sorry. You might want to ditch the crackers and rye too. The yoghurt should be full fat greek, as anything low fat is bound to have more carbs in. Does that help?