Things everyone thinks are gross unless you’re T1D...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The vampire lick is the main thing that I think is universal.
If I cut my finger, for example, I suck it to get any dirt out.
This also involves ingesting my own blood.

My testing kit has a chopped up sheet of kitchen roll in little squares to mop up random blood, but then I don't test all day every day.

As for the floor, even if the 5 second rule doesn't apply I tend to pick stuff up and wash it under the tap instead of binning it.
Wouldn't work for glucotabs, though.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I turn to ash in the sunlight. Haematophagy is nothing! Maybe I was a vampire all along :D

Well, if I recall your photo from the steampunk event correctly, your taste in clothes isn't a million miles away from Nadja's so maybe there's something you're not telling us!

I go from freckled white to bright red then my skin peels off but it's more to do with Celt genes than the demonic underworld

Reactions: therower

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve never done the vampire thing. But I used to do the werewolf thing but I’m alright noooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Sorry, it’s the wine.:woot::woot::woot:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was utterly relieved to see a T1 colleague, who's never been on lunch duties at the same time as me before last week or worked in the same areas so we rarely get more than a passing moment or two to chat, do the vampire lick! My students have been telling me off for it for a few months now or wondering if there are any nutrients in the blood.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The vampire lick is the main thing that I think is universal.

Lol, LGC, now that you're using libre, get ready for a "bleeder"!

Occasionally, the insertion needle will hit a cluster of capillaries/arterioles and you can get an impressive amount of blood coming out of the hole in the middle of the sensor, I once ruined a white shirt that way by not noticing it before I put the shirt on.

The amount of blood can look quite dramatic but it settles down ok within a few minutes, and many say a bleeder is a better reader.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, LGC, now that you're using libre, get ready for a "bleeder"!

Occasionally, the insertion needle will hit a cluster of capillaries/arterioles and you can get an impressive amount of blood coming out of the hole in the middle of the sensor, I once ruined a white shirt that way by not noticing it before I put the shirt on.

The amount of blood can look quite dramatic but it settles down ok within a few minutes, and many say a bleeder is a better reader.
What sometimes comes out of the hole is nothing compared to the bleeder I had when a friend trimmed the raggedy edges of my tegaderm patch with the kitchen scissors without her reading glasses on :woot:. And I couldn't even lick it because back of my arm, nor did it improve the readings of my sensor.
I can assure you fingerpricks hurt way less than a libre when your friends think they can still see without glasses.

Reactions: Marie 2

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What sometimes comes out of the hole is nothing compared to the bleeder I had when a friend trimmed the raggedy edges of my tegaderm patch with the kitchen scissors without her reading glasses on :woot:. And I couldn't even lick it because back of my arm, nor did it improve the readings of my sensor.
I can assure you fingerpricks hurt way less than a libre when your friends think they can still see without glasses.

This guy definitely didn't read the libre application manual:

what-main-1.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This whole thread has given me a laugh too but has left me wondering:
Am I a closet deviant T2 vampire? - I've always licked my bloody finger after testing as AFAIK lick (AKA saliva) is nice and antiseptic.

test_kit.jpg

(I have a little dog too with slight tendencies towards vampirism: my current light green fabric covered meter case gets little spots of blood over it and he found it one evening and very kindly spent a good half hour industriously licking a good part of it clean for me.:hungry:)

Robbity

Reactions: Knikki and Antje77

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
..................... and doesn't look like there is a spot of blood on him, or is it my eyes ? lol :mask::nailbiting::wideyed:

He gets a lot messier later on when he says to the mockumentary camera crew, oops, made a basic vampire mistake, bit the wrong artery, and then spends a stack of time figuring out which domestic cleaning products will sort it out before his housemates complain about the mess...

That roll of kitchen towel might do it...

What-We-Do-In-The-Shadows-616x410.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This was really funny!! And sadly too true!
I love finding all the melted and welded together, powdered or unidentifiable things I thought would be good for a low and then found them later at the bottom of my purse.
Thanks Mel dCP!!!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
He gets a lot messier later on when he says to the mockumentary camera crew, oops, made a basic vampire mistake, bit the wrong artery, and then spends a stack of time figuring out which domestic cleaning products will sort it out before his housemates complain about the mess...

That roll of kitchen towel might do it...

View attachment 34270

Yikes, that was a bit of a shocker @ 7.15 this morning lol :nailbiting: let's hope he has lot's of said kitchen roll, as he will need 'Plenty' of it :eek:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The "vampire" thing I do..

If I get a rare bleeder from an injection site, I hoik up the waist line on my undies & mop it up off my stomach rather than get it on a shirt. If it happens on my leg? The hem line of my boxers.. ;)

I dunno about "gross," but I once dated a goth girl who thought my D business with inpalment & blood letting interesting...
It was nice she didn't flinch, however I wasn't a freak show either. :banghead:

Off the floor? The dog would get it before I did.

Many years ago (early 90s.) I did a season on the south coast in a holiday camp. Part of my duties was entertaining kids & organising events.
I used to carry treatment in the pocket of the blue jacket I wore as part of the uniform. It was a little more difficult if I was running about dressed as an elephant..
Quite often I'd put my hand in & find a make melted sticky something that shouldn't be there mixed with my wrapped official stuff.
I didn't notice during the day, the kids used to sidle up & slyly slip sweets & folded up drawings of eliphants into my pocket..?
Which was a little messy in the haste of treating a hypo.

... Good job I wasn't carrying my wallet. o_O

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Was licking blood this morning :hungry:

Never forget treating a hypo whilst out at my shooting club, I tipped the glucotab tube directly into my mouth and out came a cloud of Gluco dust which landed all over my face and clothes, I became paranoid that it looked like i’d got a drug problem so was frantically trying to dust myself down, fortunately no one commented..

Reactions: NicoleC1971
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Was licking blood this morning :hungry:

Never forget treating a hypo whilst out at my shooting club, I tipped the glucotab tube directly into my mouth and out came a cloud of Gluco dust which landed all over my face and clothes, I became paranoid that it looked like i’d got a drug problem so was frantically trying to dust myself down, fortunately no one commented..

Oh no !! I don't know whether to give you a funny emoji or a hug one, so have a fuggy :D

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An old grey glucose tablet, half covered in white and purple end-paper with added pocket fluff, yum.

ChrissiStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another vampire here! I get revolted looks in my office when I test at my desk, doesn’t bother me! My blood, I’ll lick it if I want to!

Oooh I haven’t had a gusher in AGES! Maybe because I am a stingy Scot and it’s like get blood out of a stone with me.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
finger lickin' good here too though FSL underarm swipe must look weirder to the non Ds i.e. hold phone until a beep is heard, curse when beep is a scan failure then sigh looking at the 'mountain range' graphic (Lord of the Rings type landscape unless I am asleep normally) Btw is this Mrs Widdecombe or Camilla Windsor?
images