Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Morning all - 4.9 on rising, and pretty chuffed about that! Yesterday was guess and inject for the whole day, which I rounded off with half a bar of dark vegan chocolate that I forgot to inject for anyway. How I ended up at 4.9 is a mystery and a blessing.

Reactions: MeiChanski

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Last edited:
Reactions: hh1 and MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd love to be a paralegal :eek:
I know how to do my make up but my hair is flat and thin and if I put it up in a ponytail, because of my moonface it's quite prominent it will look like I have a fat head. :hilarious: My hair is the only part of my head that I don't know what to do with it. I'm not very good at braids, plaits etc.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess right now it would be a semi automatic car where you still need a driver and it'll be pretty distant into the future for a bat mobile kind of car. You know just type in a postcode and off you go. :hilarious:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The current crop of "Driverless" cars require a driver to allow you to take control if the system fails for what ever reason (there has already been a death in the US with an Uber taxi where the driver was watching TV on the phone instead of watching the road) so as it stands now I think the law is the same. Your in a car you hypo and you cant take control of it, then I think he law would come down on you.

However several years from now where you get into a car it has no windows, only projection screens and you tell it your destination and off it goes, you could hypo to your hearts content because the car would not be controlled by you. Saying that I would hope the car had something to tell it that is occupants were in trouble and so communicate ahead to a hospital and deliver you o A&E. But that technology is at least 50 years in to the future.

My personal view on concept driverless cars (in short. ) the developers ideology that every one will be using them in the future...
There's no taking into account other road users, pedestrians & possibly "classic car drivers?" The human errors that arise from that..
My wife's 6 year old Nissan already has already has cameras & sensors contributing to its safty features all over it. My Brother in law's new Volvo has tech to identify a hazard & avoid collisions..
So I would assume a person in charge of (operating) the vehicle would still need to be in legal perameters of sobriety, due care, & BG on the next generation of self driving tech..

Lol, I saw a demo of a conceptual driverless BMW on this subject months ago. The steering wheel smoothy packed away into the dashboard.
I would want that wheel ready for action incase of an evasive manoeuvre...?

In other news. My van flew through the MOT, yesterday Again. Not bad for a 17 year old. My wife's all singing Nissan failed on rear bearings.. Modern cars.. I got no idea where to start with all that "Tupperware" covering components under the bonnet.

Reactions: hh1 and MeiChanski
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all - 4.9 on rising, and pretty chuffed about that! Yesterday was guess and inject for the whole day, which I rounded off with half a bar of dark vegan chocolate that I forgot to inject for anyway. How I ended up at 4.9 is a mystery and a blessing.

A Top Banana award :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'd love to be a paralegal :eek:
I know how to do my make up but my hair is flat and thin and if I put it up in a ponytail, because of my moonface it's quite prominent it will look like I have a fat head. :hilarious: My hair is the only part of my head that I don't know what to do with it. I'm not very good at braids, plaits etc.

I can't do hair at all. Even when it was long the most I could do was twist it up and hold in place with mini chopsticks.

I enjoyed legal work very much, but to make the fees you have to slog your heart out. You can never be the boss because in law firms paralegals are shrimp - valued shrimp but still -- tiny little beings of no huge import......

Luckily I combine that shrimpiness with the book-keeping and estate management now, and find it very rewarding (in terms of satisfaction if not dosh)....

Reactions: hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, thanks for all the admiration of herself. She howled like a banshee when she and I went to our separate beds but it only lasted for about 10 minutes - until she woke up at 5.30. I should have loaned her to @becca59! Hopefully I'll have someone to help with photos later.

@MeiChanski I think whether or not you wear make up is entirely up to you. Over my career I've seen a big shift away from every woman wearing make-up to work to now probably less than half. Agree absolutely with @helensaramay it's smart/formal for interviews, thereafter it depends on the job and the organisation. If in doubt, more formal than less as it's generally worse to be viewed as too casual than too smart. As far as hair goes, when mine was long I wore it loose if I chose, otherwise plaited or tied. You say your hair is thin and flat; might it be easier to make it look thicker if it was shorter and easier to 'pouf up'? (I'm sure there's a technical hairdressing term for that but for sure I don't know it)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess right now it would be a semi automatic car where you still need a driver and it'll be pretty distant into the future for a bat mobile kind of car. You know just type in a postcode and off you go. :hilarious:

Lol, I keep thinking about the tech in Total recal..? Which should respond to voice command.. ;) We already have that sort of tech on our phones.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't do hair at all. Even when it was long the most I could do was twist it up and hold in place with mini chopsticks.

I enjoyed legal work very much, but to make the fees you have to slog your heart out. You can never be the boss because in law firms paralegals are shrimp - valued shrimp but still -- tiny little beings of no huge import......

Luckily I combine that shrimpiness with the book-keeping and estate management now, and find it very rewarding (in terms of satisfaction if not dosh)....
Some legal work is quite heart breaking. I've been to court a few times to witness cases and there was one case where a married couple was hit by a reckless driver, resulting in both confined to their wheelchairs. Their injuries were very very severe, however the reckless driver did show some remorse and the judge did comment on that because in most cases they don't show remorse.
I didn't quite enjoy land law when I studied it, at the time my parents wanted me to go into the estate business but land law is so tedious.
I do want to do work with Human Rights and European law but apparently thats even worse than criminal law. :hilarious:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a job interview for monday :) I happen to come across a job that is 5 mins away from our house. :hilarious: I thought I might as well give it a shot, I do have customer service and catering experience and knowledge and I live very close by, so why not? Unfortunately I don't have a level 2 hygiene certificate so I don't know how that is going to go, but my mum said the test is very simple and quite affordable.

Reactions: WuTwo and Knikki

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On the other hand, how do you ladies keep yourself looking presentable for work every day? full face make up? hair up in a bun or pony tail? Or full au naturel?
Black eyeliner and mascara because my eyes are invisible without, and brown eyebrow pencil. That’s just whenever I go out though. I might add some red or purple lippy if I feel like it, but usually just a smear of Vaseline. And that’s my makeup routine. For teaching, paramedic-ing or whatever.

My hair is also flat and thin, and very fine. I hate it - especially as I can’t even dye it any more, due to my immune system hating me and making me allergic to hair dye. So it’s flat, fine, thin, and... brown. A very boring brown at that. It’s long-ish, about bra strap length. So I clip in felt dreads, coloured streaks etc, and wear it up in a twist with the funky bits poking out the top. They give it a lot more body, a bit of interest, and make it look like I have much more hair than I really do. A pretty bandana rolled up and knotted at the top works well too. There’s a lot of things you can do to jazz up a small amount of boring hair!

BG up and down a bit, need to adjust my basals - currently running at 120% down from 150. No major excursions, just up and down a bit. Nothing planned for today, just a quiet one. Off to Marlborough tomorrow.

Weird thing happened last night while watching the news. An item came on saying that Peter Fonda had died, and our autographed Easy Rider framed photo cracked really loudly - the glass had cracked right through his signature.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki ,

Just seen the program.. Thanks, more food for thought.
The pedestrian pushing the bike was killed by a Volvo with tech fitted similar to the car my brother in law owns.. The developers disabled that factory fitted safety tech because it interfered with their own which was being tested. Admittedly the person in attendance as "operator" clearly wasn't paying attention either.

To be honest.. However clever this technology advancements seems to be, history has proven outside forces like a bit of dirt on a camera lense can change perception even app & OS updates can cause issue...

As for driverless "rigs?" I see opportunities in the future for some pretty IT savvy "highway men." ;)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have another question for you all, health professionals haven't been able to answer me or give me an answer. It might require some speculation or thought. But here it goes: You know how companies are starting to or have started to produce automatic cars (like driverless car) where it doesn't require you to drive it. In the case of diabetes, my nurse said if you're caught with a low blood sugar behind your wheel, you'll have your licence suspended or taken off you, but what about in the case of an automatic car where your hands aren't on the wheel?
I know for sure the law might have to change and DVLA might have to include some information about it. It popped into my head when my bf and I had a discussion about morals. Who would be blamed for an accident if the car is driverless/automatic.
I suspect the same rules on blood sugar will be the same on driverless cars, the argument being that if you were in the car and responsible for it, even if not actually driving it, you would still have to keep your blood sugar at a reasonable level. Can't see that changing.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon everyone, bit late turning up here today, Blood sugar went a bit high overnight, but I slept well, not much else going on really.

Have a good day, everyone.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Weird thing happened last night while watching the news. An item came on saying that Peter Fonda had died, and our autographed Easy Rider framed photo cracked really loudly - the glass had cracked right through his signature.

Clicked the like but tbh - I needed a "totally out there" button.....

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ooh, that’s a nice one. I have a plain purple leather one on mine. I use it so much! Especially if I’m awake at night and don’t want to disturb husbeast.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Black eyeliner and mascara because my eyes are invisible without, and brown eyebrow pencil. That’s just whenever I go out though. I might add some red or purple lippy if I feel like it, but usually just a smear of Vaseline. And that’s my makeup routine. For teaching, paramedic-ing or whatever.

My hair is also flat and thin, and very fine. I hate it - especially as I can’t even dye it any more, due to my immune system hating me and making me allergic to hair dye. So it’s flat, fine, thin, and... brown. A very boring brown at that. It’s long-ish, about bra strap length. So I clip in felt dreads, coloured streaks etc, and wear it up in a twist with the funky bits poking out the top. They give it a lot more body, a bit of interest, and make it look like I have much more hair than I really do. A pretty bandana rolled up and knotted at the top works well too. There’s a lot of things you can do to jazz up a small amount of boring hair!

BG up and down a bit, need to adjust my basals - currently running at 120% down from 150. No major excursions, just up and down a bit. Nothing planned for today, just a quiet one. Off to Marlborough tomorrow.

Oh wow, I wish I can be that simple, I have to go full face or none at all. :hilarious:
My hair is quite dark so I have to fry it in order to get any colour in it. But I'd die to have thick hair like my bf :( His hair is so lush and thick, even his eyelashes as well. :grumpy::mad: