Vegetarian supper meal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I am reading a fiction thriller book based in the North-West. A woman is making a supper dish for her children, this is in the 1960's, with an egg, drowned in milk, with crumbly local cheese and then baked until the whole thing is set, it's sounds good.
Any idea's on the name of this dish, as I have been googling and cheese and onion pie often comes up.
Thanks in advance :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a variation on 'herb baked eggs' or just 'baked eggs'.

If you have a google, you will see lots of egg and cream options baked in a gratin dish, or individual little ramekins, with various options of different cheeses, herbs and spices.

I have made a number of variations, with the two favourites being
eggs, cream, Parmesan, rosemary, chives and parsley (I keep a box of pre-chopped frozen herbs in the freezer, for easy access to the right blend)
or
eggs, cream, diced avocado, a tablespoon of salsa, and a scattering of grated cheese on top.

Both versions just go into the oven at 180 degrees until the top is golden and they have started to rise.

You can do it with unbroken egg yolks, or beaten egg.

Last edited:

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what my granny used to make for me in Yorkshire in the olden days when I was a tiny little thing. She called it coddled eggs and made it in a teacup. I had forgotten it, so thanks for the memory!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is what my granny used to make for me in Yorkshire in the olden days when I was a tiny little thing. She called it coddled eggs and made it in a teacup. I had forgotten it, so thanks for the memory!

Thanks for your happy information :)