Low Vitamin D levels .....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I'm a type one diabetic and after recieving my annual blood test results today I'm slightly concerned. My hba1c was 5.7 - so I was really happy. However I was told I have low vitamin D levels and require a new prescription.

Has anyone had this before? I'm slightly worried - I've "heard" this can also be a sign of cancer?

Thanks.

TraceyD123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had exactly the same. I now take a high strength supplement every day which has sorted it although it does take a few months. If you’ve also been feeling a bit down this will explain why.

Reactions: Freema

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

I'm a type one diabetic and after recieving my annual blood test results today I'm slightly concerned. My hba1c was 5.7 - so I was really happy. However I was told I have low vitamin D levels and require a new prescription.

Has anyone had this before? I'm slightly worried - I've "heard" this can also be a sign of cancer?

Thanks.

Vit D deficiency is rip roaringly common all over the world. Have a search here for previous threads about it, pop over to the Vitamin D Council (UK based) and look at what Ivor Cummings has to say about it on YouTube.

I take between 5-10000 iu almost daily, depending on the time of year. Loads of us buy our own suppliments.

Reactions: TraceyD123

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Vitamin D deficiency precedes the onset of type 1 diabetes, so it would be commonplace in our community. I was Vitamin D deficient the summer before my diagnosis. I take supplements over the winter months and have given up using face sunblock (unless I'm on holiday in the sun) and try to be outside with my bare arms and face exposed at lunchtime, even in the winter months.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken supplemental vit.D for 3 years now because of a severe deficiency and no sign of cancer at all :)

Reactions: Freema and jjraak

Koalajane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and take prescribed vitamin d3 and calcium tablets daily( I have polymyalgia rheumatica) and I know many people have Vit D deficiency. Judging by the weather today it is not surprising!

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
In my last tests from the hospital (for non-related diabetes) a blood test showed I was vitamin D deficient too. I don't get them on prescription as they are only £1.49 for 60 high strength in Savers. But from memory, I'm sure everyone in the UK is supposed to take a vitamin D tablet every day according to the medical advice I see on TV a while back

Reactions: Petal85

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a pretty serious deficiency upon diagnosis. I was on a large dose of 5,000 uIU per day until my tests came back in the normal range. Now I take 2,000 uIU daily in the summer, because I also get sun on my daily walks, and double that during the winter. My tests continue to show normal. I get mine from the local drugstore.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Thanks.

Sophia - As others have said, Vitamin D defficiency is incredibly common.

If you are in UK, your Doctor will likely prescribe you a loading dose, with instruction thata you buy a lower dose over the counter for the longer term.

The NHS routinely only prescribe Vitamin D, whereas the far better option is Vitamin D3, with Vitamin K2. The K2 helps it "work much better". I use the "" as I'm enormously aware I have over simplified that a lot.

Caprock94

My vitamin D levels are low as well. My doctor said most people are, and wasn't concerned. I have a new doc now, who basically said the same but did want me to supplement to bring it up a little.