Sudden high sugars

samanthax1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter diagnosed nearly two years ago has always had amazing blood sugars. Her A1C 5.0. She is on a low carb diet. She even misses basalgar and still stays in the 70’s. Two weeks ago she attended camp where they fed her horribly with all simple carbs then she got sick. Her blood sugars were around 160. She’s no longer sick but all through the night she’s still 160-180! We changed her fast acting pen in case it was bad. That seems to help but now she’s constantly raising fast through the night. I upped the basalgar from 10 to 11 and changed that pen. She woke up at 140. Better but still not her norm as she’s usually 70 most the time. Please any in sight. Thank you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @samanthax1 Welcome to the forum.

As you are realising illness affects type 1 control, the body in response to infection or illness releases glucose which makes insulin control much harder. You will need to speak to her team about correction doses and adjusting her insulin ratios to manage the ongoing effect with her high levels. Unfortunately with type 1 doses can change on an ongoing basis and although she's over her illness and you've ruled out bad insulin the you should look to review her ratios. You can also try some basal testing too to check her background insulin ratios. I find many factors affect my control from heat, exercise, illness, hormones, stress, sleep.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter diagnosed nearly two years ago has always had amazing blood sugars. Her A1C 5.0. She is on a low carb diet. She even misses basalgar and still stays in the 70’s. Two weeks ago she attended camp where they fed her horribly with all simple carbs then she got sick. Her blood sugars were around 160. She’s no longer sick but all through the night she’s still 160-180! We changed her fast acting pen in case it was bad. That seems to help but now she’s constantly raising fast through the night. I upped the basalgar from 10 to 11 and changed that pen. She woke up at 140. Better but still not her norm as she’s usually 70 most the time. Please any in sight. Thank you.
Hello! Welcome :)
I don't know how old your daughter is, but have you considered learning the basics of carb counting so she can inject her fast acting insulin in accordance to the carbs she is going to eat? low carb does help, but it doesn't help in the situation that she is in. So she needs some guidance in a situation where the food menu is a carb fest. Have you thought about her basal insulin which I'm assuming is basaglar and needs time to settle before making another change? It could be she is still going through some illnesses or hormones or growth spurs where she needs a tad more insulin. High blood sugars will make us feel a bit unwell, have you also tested her for ketones?

samanthax1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Thank you for your responses. I do realize illness raises blood sugar but my concern is she appears to have been over it for over 1 week and her numbers keep climbing. Even 8 units of fast acting did nearly nothing. So is she possibly still fighting it without knowing or is this possible Honeymoon faze over? As far as talking to her diabetes team, they think these high numbers are safe and not to change them. I absolutely disagree. We do carb count and give many extra units. It still hasn’t done much. My daughter is 17 and does not have growth hormones so it’s not a factor. Just looking for reassurance this happens to others with type 1 and is a temporary complication. Thanks again.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thank you for your responses. I do realize illness raises blood sugar but my concern is she appears to have been over it for over 1 week and her numbers keep climbing. Even 8 units of fast acting did nearly nothing. So is she possibly still fighting it without knowing or is this possible Honeymoon faze over? As far as talking to her diabetes team, they think these high numbers are safe and not to change them. I absolutely disagree. We do carb count and give many extra units. It still hasn’t done much. My daughter is 17 and does not have growth hormones so it’s not a factor. Just looking for reassurance this happens to others with type 1 and is a temporary complication. Thanks again.
Any possibilities she has her period coming? I know pre and post period does have an affect on blood sugar levels. I do run a bit high during that time. However when her honeymoon phase ends, she might need more insulin. Have you been checking for ketones?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve no idea really, but know you are asking for suggestions. Could it be that the off piste diet for a week followed by illness has knocked the honeymoon phase on the head. The illness particularly could have finished off the pancreases insulin production. If this is the case, trial and error will now be involved. Particularly with basal. Also I know with my own basal it is 3-4 days before any changes I have made start to filter through.