Type 2... new here;)

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all!!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May this year :(. TBH I wasnt overly surprised because I had such a bad diet- 3 fizzy drinks everyday + fast food. Diagnosis- was feeling very unwell, so I went to A&E and was admitted due to dehydration. I was sent home with metformin and told to see my Gp. I was told that my Ac1 was 74!! I'm full time student and employee- plus was so stress from upcoming exams. Since I have been working extremely hard to maintain a healthy diet and lose as much weight as possible. I have since lost 3 stone , and my last Ac1 result was 37. I went to see my Gp today and she thinks I was misdiagnosed, so she's requested an investigation. She said it was impossible for someone to go from an Ac1 74 to 37. Is this correct?

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and Welcome,

Cutting out the sugar in fizzy drinks and eating healthy foods may well have dropped your BG levels.

Mine also dropped 38 since the end of May and the beginning of August,which is a similar drop. Although I started off at 108.

Sit tight and I am sure some very knowledgeable people will see your post and offer some great advice.

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What are you eating now instead of your bad diet?

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and Welcome,

Cutting out the sugar in fizzy drinks and eating healthy foods may well have dropped your BG levels.

Mine also dropped 38 since the end of May and the beginning of August,which is a similar drop. Although I started off at 108.

Sit tight and I am sure some very knowledgeable people will see your post and offer some great advice.
Thank you! And well done :)

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are you eating now instead of your bad diet?
Hiya, so I completely cut sugar out of my diet, and if my tea need to be sweeter then I use sweetener. I have limited my carb intake- so more fruits and veg. If I do go out for a meal, I'll have like chicken but no burger! I make homemade burgers but I'll use lean 5% and have it in a wholemeal pitta instead. I am a chips lover, so I have switched to 4 chunky chips instead of half a plate lol. Also no chocolate or sweets (was never a big fan) and if I want a crisp I'll have pop chips or homemade popcorn. Not massive changes but just paying attention to what I eat, instead of just stuffing my face!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hiya, so I completely cut sugar out of my diet, and if my tea need to be sweeter then I use sweetener. I have limited my carb intake- so more fruits and veg. If I do go out for a meal, I'll have like chicken but no burger! I make homemade burgers but I'll use lean 5% and have it in a wholemeal pitta instead. I am a chips lover, so I have switched to 4 chunky chips instead of half a plate lol. Also no chocolate or sweets (was never a big fan) and if I want a crisp I'll have pop chips or homemade popcorn. Not massive changes but just paying attention to what I eat, instead of just stuffing my face!
Well that will explain the lower a1c!

Reactions: Kimmie90

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To answer your actual question, NO. Tell her to educate herself and read this forum. Fab job by the way. x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from a Hba1c of 91 to 47 in 80 days, so it is entirely possible.
Your diet is not all that low carb - but obviously the reduction is enough to get you back into normal figures, so it works for you.
Watch those 'healthy' doses of sugar from fruit and carbs from bread and potato and corn don't gradually increase - they can be eaten so easily, and they tend to make you feel hungry again in a few hours too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dropped from 70 on diagnosis to 36 in four months so it’s perfectly possible to achieve a huge drop by modifying your lifestyle. Keep up the good work though and you’ll keep you HbA1c at non diabetic levels.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

That accounts for the drop.

Well done.

Reactions: Prem51 and Kimmie90

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all!!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May this year :(. TBH I wasnt overly surprised because I had such a bad diet- 3 fizzy drinks everyday + fast food. Diagnosis- was feeling very unwell, so I went to A&E and was admitted due to dehydration. I was sent home with metformin and told to see my Gp. I was told that my Ac1 was 74!! I'm full time student and employee- plus was so stress from upcoming exams. Since I have been working extremely hard to maintain a healthy diet and lose as much weight as possible. I have since lost 3 stone , and my last Ac1 result was 37. I went to see my Gp today and she thinks I was misdiagnosed, so she's requested an investigation. She said it was impossible for someone to go from an Ac1 74 to 37. Is this correct?
...I made a bigger correction in HbA1c, so have many people here. Some went from 100+ to the normal range. So yes, it can be done. It wasn't a misdiagnosis: It was HARD WORK, and you did it!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Kimmie90. As the others have said it is possible to lower your blood glucose level by changing what you eat. There are people on this forum who had HBa1c results above 100 and reduced them to pre-diabetic or non-diabetic levels by their 3 month retest.
Well done on your reduction, but you will need to continue with the healthier eating if you want to avoid going back up into the diabetic range.

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Kimmie90. As the others have said it is possible to lower your blood glucose level by changing what you eat. There are people on this forum who had HBa1c results above 100 and reduced them to pre-diabetic or non-diabetic levels by their 3 month retest.
Well done on your reduction, but you will need to continue with the healthier eating if you want to avoid going back up into the diabetic range.
Thank you so much- I will continue:). This has been a big wake up call for me, so it's a lifestyle change for me.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...I made a bigger correction in HbA1c, so have many people here. Some went from 100+ to the normal range. So yes, it can be done. It wasn't a misdiagnosis: It was HARD WORK, and you did it!
mine was 112 (i think ) in feb 2018 down to 38 by june same year i came off metformin three weeks before that blood test (my choice) mainly low carb and at leasr 25kg weight loss ..so yes it can be done

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
She said it was impossible for someone to go from an Ac1 74 to 37. Is this correct?
I would like to talk to them because I went from 114 to the 40’s in a few months and now I’m in the 20’s months later so it is completely possible! You’ve done so well though and welcome to the forums too, it’s impressive already! You keep it up, seriously you made some massive changes already and seem so determined. You will always find support here as well to keep you going so never think you have a daft question.

Allow me to say as well, welcome to the ‘impossible’ club :cat:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all!!

Time for a new GP who actually knows something about T2?
Ask her if she's ever heard of Dr David Unwin..

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like to talk to them because I went from 114 to the 40’s in a few months and now I’m in the 20’s months later so it is completely possible! You’ve done so well though and welcome to the forums too, it’s impressive already! You keep it up, seriously you made some massive changes already and seem so determined. You will always find support here as well to keep you going so never think you have a daft question.

Allow me to say as well, welcome to the ‘impossible’ club :cat:
Aww thank you so much, and well done to you too! This condition can be really scary when you have so many questions but no one can answer them, so I am happy I found this forum:). Now this may be a silly question but here goes nothing... why is it that someone who is pre diabetic (ac1 47 for example) can reservse this but someone who has "T2 diabetes" with low ac1 over a period of time is always referred to as in remission? o_O I asked a dietitian this question at a diabetes education program meeting and she said because it's easier pre diabetic individuals to get back to normal levels.:bookworm:

Kimmie90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Time for a new GP who actually knows something about T2?
Ask her if she's ever heard of Dr David Unwin..
Sigh...I agree but I really do not feel like many people know or care to know about this condition. When I was diagnosed I received no information about diabetes. It was very scary- especially I'm only in my 20s so none of my friends shared this condition. A diabetic nurse told me if bumped my feet, all these bad stuff would happen. I have been having anxiety attacks since then :(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sigh...I agree but I really do not feel like many people know or care to know about this condition. When I was diagnosed I received no information about diabetes. It was very scary- especially I'm only in my 20s so none of my friends shared this condition. A diabetic nurse told me if bumped my feet, all these bad stuff would happen. I have been having anxiety attacks since then :(
Well you're here now with a community of people who probably know significantly more than most doctors anyway.