At last a Dr Neal Barnard Study Compared

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There are many "experts" who claim to be able to reverse Type 2 diabetes. I am open to listening and reviewing alternative methods other than animal based LCHF/LCHP/Keto/ Paleo/Carnivore and variants.

So far from what I have seen the best numbers I have seen in terms of HbA1c have been on Keto and Carnivore; consistently I have seen HbA1c's below 42. One person has reported a reversal on an alternative protocol to the aforementioned at 38 mmol/L. Are you aware of any numbers from Dr Micheal Greger or Dr Neal Barnard. I have a comparative between Virta Health and Dr Neal Barnard detailed between minutes 08.18 and 09.40:

I am suspicious of Dr Barnard (and his associates), as I have not seen numbers that are better than my middle of the road n of 1,and certainly within the video, no where near the 29's for some on this site.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this is the infamous Barnard study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677007/

with its "great" results
Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 23.26.35.png

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is statistically better than the conventional approach...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

It is, but as you can see on that graph it starts to rise back up again. I'd say the initial change causes a drop, but it isn't sustained. Either of those methods keeps you firmly entrenched in the diabetic state.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is, but as you can see on that graph it starts to rise back up again. I'd say the initial change causes a drop, but it isn't sustained. Either of those methods keeps you firmly entrenched in the diabetic state.

That is precisely the problem with a lot of such research... especially with T2D medications... results that shows statistically significant improvement may have little real life benefits...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thanks @bulkbiker . Any improvement is a good thing. I think you could have got these results on CICO and a personal trainer, and the best numbers are around what I got after 3 months, not knowing what I was doing, and from a starting point circa 90% higher than what is in the picture.

This gentleman is one the most influential figures in food and thought in the world. His followers always try to imply that their method reserves diabetes, and unlike LCHF people can eat "normal" food as opposed to low carb.

From what I have seen so far, the methodology Mr Barnard uses, allows diabetic drugs to be removed and the glycaemic control to be similar as to when the drugs were in use (reversal?, (YouTube - Joey Aucoin)).

At this point Dr Neal Barnard is charismatic, but I would submit, would struggle to convince anyone knowledgeable in this space, that his methods work in the mid to long term, and are nowhere near approaching optimal. My suspicions will I hope be tested at some point by open committee.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

That is precisely the problem with a lot of such research... especially with T2D medications... results that shows statistically significant improvement may have little real life benefits...

Agreed, that's where marketing tends to take over....