15 yr old, T1 BS so high!

samanthax1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 15 yr old daughter diagnosed T1 11/11/17. Got the CGM Dexcom a few weeks ago. Before that we checked her BS many times daily, morning, before meals as directed and before bed. Her numbers seemed good, around 70-140. She got the Flu about 3 wks ago and bs shooting to 3-400 all day and night. Since then seems BS isnt responding to insulin. Up dose from 1/8- 1/6, Dexcom shows she's still almost 400 two hours after meals and takes 4 or more to start coming down. Idk if she's always been high after eating or if it's because I have the CGM now and just notice it? I've cut her carbs and still she shoots up! Why do doctors say the highs don't matter only before meals? Doesn't it still cause complications? Also she seems to be retaining fluid in thighs and ankle. Insulin cause?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The instability seems to coincide with the diagnosis of influenza and will probably digress as the disease process winds down. I think the reason her practitioner(s) are more concerned with the "valleys" rather than the peaks is because when you do bolus injections of Novorapid, what you want is the blood sugar to be "normal" the next time you take it. If it spikes a bit but goes back to 100 at dinner were you going to take a lot more at lunch? Probably not or you'd crash and burn before dinner. Pumpers have the ability to play around with their boluses more than MDI people like me.

samanthax1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry I never got your response until now. I never figured out how to navigate this website. Thanks for your response.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I never got your response until now. I never figured out how to navigate this website. Thanks for your response.
How is your going now? Did you sort out her cause for those high sugars?