Type 2... new here;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sigh...I agree but I really do not feel like many people know or care to know about this condition. When I was diagnosed I received no information about diabetes. It was very scary- especially I'm only in my 20s so none of my friends shared this condition. A diabetic nurse told me if bumped my feet, all these bad stuff would happen. I have been having anxiety attacks since then :(
Well... I am severely Vitamin D deficient, making my bones not exactly brittle, but... Not quite as sturdy as they should be, either. I've broken my pinky toes, I think, 6 times in the past 2 years? After a while I stopped counting, I just stubbed them again any time I'd finally healed, cursing like a sailor as I went. ;) I still have them all firmly attached to my feet though, because my blood sugars are under good control, no sores or anything... If you have loss of sensation in your feet (diabetic neuropathy), a little wound can become very problematic. Usually takes a while to get that kind of nerve damage due to having had high bloodsugars for a long time. And I do mean a long time. But if they're still functioning fully, nerve wise, you're all good. Not about to get amputations scheduled or anything. (And if that nurse has to send every patient to hospital if they stub their feet, she's not doing her job right, sorry.) And hey, if you've not got sensation there, against the odds... Just check 'em every day before bed. If you ask me though... You're fine if you just act sensibly. Keep your bloodsugars in the normal range and your feet will be perfectly fine.

Any more horror stories we can help with?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well... I am severely Vitamin D deficient, making my bones not exactly brittle, but... Not quite as sturdy as they should be, either. I've broken my pinky toes, I think, 6 times in the past 2 years? After a while I stopped counting, I just stubbed them again any time I'd finally healed, cursing like a sailor as I went. ;) I still have them all firmly attached to my feet though, because my blood sugars are under good control, no sores or anything... If you have loss of sensation in your feet (diabetic neuropathy), a little wound can become very problematic. Usually takes a while to get that kind of nerve damage due to having had high bloodsugars for a long time. And I do mean a long time. But if they're still functioning fully, nerve wise, you're all good. Not about to get amputations scheduled or anything. (And if that nurse has to send every patient to hospital if they stub their feet, she's not doing her job right, sorry.) And hey, if you've not got sensation there, against the odds... Just check 'em every day before bed. If you ask me though... You're fine if you just act sensibly. Keep your bloodsugars in the normal range and your feet will be perfectly fine.

Any more horror stories we can help with?
as jo said ..we are here and are all living with this quite managable problem.. the g.p.s and nurses havent got this condition and are only relaying out dated advice ... so ask away ..theres always someone will help.....

Reactions: Prem51