T2 - Done and dusted Half Marathon - 21.1 Kms

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
We all know Diabetes T2 is an lifestyle issue and more or less most of the affected ones are those who are over weight and not very active.
None the less, if we can decide to change ourselves and challenge ourselves our body can do miracles. For me even jogging for 100meter was a herculean task, making me go out of breath and huffing puffing and not to say sweating like pig. But then this is not how saw myself, reality hit me hard that this is not the way I want to live and thus took the life to task and tried to make slow changes so that body can adapt naturally. This required reduction of body weight, increasing exercise and giving 100% commitment. First step was to control the diabetes and to do so one effective way is to lose the weight by following proper diet and exercise. This became the first step towards the change, now that I started loosing weight and exercising more frequently it started giving me better performance results and I was able to push myself out of envelope and was able to achieve smaller targets. Once I built up the confidence, I decide to give myself the test and registered for 1/2 marathon (21.1kms). Though few years ago I thought those runners are crazy, but here I was challenging myself.

The D day...
Time limit to complete 1/2 marathon is 3hrs and that's like pacing oneself to 7kms per hour. But as we know that it would be difficult to keep up the same pace for 3hrs as tiredness sets in. So I broke it down in slots with practical targets.

1st hour - 8Kms
2nd hour - 7Kms
3rd hour - 6 kms.

Thus I was just trying to get this under given time limit, utilizing it to maximum. But then what we plan and what gets executed are two different things. My start was great, given that there where 100s of others , so there was some good motivation...but as we crossed first few kms, all the fast runners and probably majority of them vanished and i was left with few who where no good then me :p, so it was kind of depressing but then I was not here to challenge anyone else, my challenge was with my ownself, so gradually pushed and tried to keep up some momento and the first hour passed and I found myself completing 8.5Kms so i was 500meters above my target. Next was the completing 7Kms, by now the weather changed, the heat rose and probably the tiredness was just starting up, or might be being monotonous, i tried to concentrate on nature and passing by woods to deflect mind from any niggles or pains..but its easier said then done, as time looks to have stopped and distances never end. None the less some how the 2nd hour completed and I found that missed the target of 7kms and just completed 6.5Kms so my advancement was nullified. And all of a sudden the 3rd hour looked like its going be next to impossible as now the run was mixture of few mts of running and then walking...I could see many who where also exhausted and walking and running, the sadness started to sink in that I might not be able to make it to the end. By now I had drank over 1.5Ltr of water + ORS (hydration mix from WHO). I was tempted to take up engery drinks but knowing that it has lots of sugar in it, i tried to keep myself away from it. Finally fall for having 1/2 banana to get some energy. Its not that I was lacking energy but probably mind was playing games and I didnt want to give up. High sweats and tiredness setting up was acting upon the calf muscles and hamstring, I could feel they where not comfortable on doing down hill. I was more of walking and less of running so the pace came down drastically and so did the confidence ...by 2hr 30 mins was like this is not goona happen, i should just walk and complete, but then as you see the milestones, somwhere you feel like i have almost done 17-18kms compared to that whats left is very minimal. So I started my final assualt, I was not going to fall without giving everything to it, by 2hrs 50 mins i was done with 20kms and there was this last 1Km and 10 mins, I had some confidence comming up that I should be able to this last km in 10 mins, but body had other plans. For once I took up and the falling appart thoughts and gave in everthing and started to run, i had the fear that my timing and the event timings if are having some differences I might not be able to make it up. So i ran to by best to see what lies ahead for me....and when final 100mts where left the cheers from crowd brought the life back into me and there where smiles all arround and I pressed the throttle using up every last bit of courage and crossed over the finish line.
What a sigh of relief that this ordeal done, My watch said i did it in 2hrs 59 mins with one minute to spare. I was sure I must have failed to complete it officially. When ahead to collect my medal and was surprised to find that official time was 2hrs 57 mins :) so had 3 more mins left :D

With it being official, I was glad I could make it and I think, if can do it anyone can do it. Challenge yourself and your body can do miracles... I hope, my experience can give some encouragement and can bring some smiles..

Thanks

upload_2019-8-19_10-33-21.png

upload_2019-8-19_10-33-53.png

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news on the run well done

However I'd take issue slightly with your statement

We all know Diabetes T2 is an lifestyle issue

More a dietary issue in my opinion.. eat right and you can achieve "remission" and lose weight without excessive (or indeed very much at all) exercise as many here have demonstrated.

Reactions: Prem51 and JohnyT2

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Great news on the run well done

However I'd take issue slightly with your statement

More a dietary issue in my opinion.. eat right and you can achieve "remission" and lose weight without excessive (or indeed very much at all) exercise as many here have demonstrated.

We do not know what causes type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is associated with modifiable lifestyle risk factors. Type 2 diabetes also has strong genetic and family related risk factors.

Source : https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/type-2-diabetes

I dont think its just a dietary issue at large, though diet is one of main reason. I have seen many who went into remission with good exercise routines too without extensive changes in there diet compared to there pre diabetic food habits. There are many who takes more carbs more fats, more protiens then many of us, but at the same time are burning out a lot of that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do not know what causes type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is associated with modifiable lifestyle risk factors. Type 2 diabetes also has strong genetic and family related risk factors.

Source : https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/type-2-diabetes

I dont think its just a dietary issue at large, though diet is one of main reason. I have seen many who went into remission with good exercise routines too without extensive changes in there diet compared to there pre diabetic food habits. There are many who takes more carbs more fats, more protiens then many of us, but at the same time are burning out a lot of that.
A whole lot of us have shown that the first part is incorrect "Type 2 diabetes is a progressive condition" so I'm not sure I'd take much comfort in the rest of what they say either.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
A whole lot of us have shown that the first part is incorrect "Type 2 diabetes is a progressive condition" so I'm not sure I'd take much comfort in the rest of what they say either.
Unless its proved.
I think many of us have just slowdown the progression and as soon as the conditions changes the progression will again speed up... unless in future the studies could prove that going into remission reverse backs the genetic changes too.

Update:
Interestingly you can read something more about mitocondria and progression here too
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/mitochondria.167579/

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think many of us have just slowdown the progression
By every medical metric bar one (slightly elevated insulin resistance) all my results fit in the "normal" section of the reference ranges. Therefore progression (moving forwards) has not only been slowed but put into reverse.
Call it what you will I am not the only one here who has done that by any means.